Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 10:03 PM

17 posts, read 26,964 times

Advertisements

I just bought a small condo in Rancho Bernardo. It needs a totally new HVAC. But I do not see the need for AC (and really don’t have the money). There are ceiling fans in the bedrooms and a great cross breeze throughout the rest of the condo. Am I being foolish not biting the bullet and putting in AC for the sake of resale later on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 11:14 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,543,265 times
Even on the hottest day, as long as you have something that sucks in the cool night's air from the outside into your home and you wake up early and close all the windows and blinds to trap in the cool.... you should be fine. I live 25 miles inland and use my AC maybe 15 days per year.

For humid nights which are few and far, just invest in a portable AC unit for the room you sleep in.

Old 06-09-2022, 12:15 AM

187 posts, read 133,013 times
Get the AC fixed. You're going to have to fix it before selling, may as well reap the benefits now.

Old 06-09-2022, 12:34 AM

798 posts, read 503,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaireSD View Post
I just bought a small condo in Rancho Bernardo. It needs a totally new HVAC. But I do not see the need for AC (and really don’t have the money). There are ceiling fans in the bedrooms and a great cross breeze throughout the rest of the condo. Am I being foolish not biting the bullet and putting in AC for the sake of resale later on?
Nope. A/C is really not necessary. Heater is not needed either. My house has ceiling fans only.
My heater is original forced air from 1969. It will cost around 8K to replace. I am not worried about it.
If I ever sold I would give a credit instead so the new owner can buy the type of HVAC that they prefer.

Old 06-09-2022, 12:55 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,070 times
I grew up nextdoor in Poway and didn’t have AC in a new build townhouse. We had an attic fan, good insulation (obviously with a new build) and good cross breezes. My friend’s places with it were more enjoyable during the summer, but on the worst day ours was still more enjoyable than when we’d visit family back East and the power would go out, or the AC was on the fritz.

I got spoiled living 1-2 blocks from the water for 20+ years, but I’m in East County (Mt. Helix/RSD) now. I have a wall AC in the living room we’re never in, and the addition I built I have a portable unit that only my wife uses on the hottest days. Central air wasn’t a deal breaker for us buying a place as we know we could always add it. The whole house fan and good insulation (something I never had at the beach, lol) keeps our place very comfortable.

I guess my point is besides not really needing it (and you say you don’t), it’s not a deal breaker when you go to sell. You rarely get back a dollar for dollar return on your investment (unless doing the work yourself), and HVAC isn’t one of them.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:39 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,600,237 times
May not be a deal-breaker when you go to sell, but it will definitely lower the value. I, for one, would never buy in RB without decent AC. Maybe consult with a real estate broker to find out whether it's worth your investing in updating the HVAC. (Also, if you update it, you'll be able to use it during July, August, September heat.)

Old 06-09-2022, 10:11 AM

5,746 posts, read 4,706,142 times
It would be a necessity for me.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:54 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,940,353 times
Is one of those $600 window tube AC units that sit on floor sufficient or not, in RB out east?

Old 06-09-2022, 12:23 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Depends on how old it is. Might be better to just replace it before you sell.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:37 PM

17 posts, read 26,964 times
You all have been great with your suggestions. I did not expect consensus but needed different viewpoints. I have just about decided to not go with ac because I personally doubt I will use it. If/when I sell, there will be somebody who doesn’t care. And, my favorite suggestion, if I have to give a credit or lower the price, so be it. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego