Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 11:02 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,233,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
What are the good and bad neighborhoods of Escondido? I've seen some nice ones, but don't know if there are particular zip codes to stay away from, or, are there good/bad areas in all three(?) zip codes?

Also, are there certain schools (elementary) that are better than others in Escondido?

All replies are appreciated! Thanks.

Just my own opinion of course, but I think West & Southwest Escondido is the best. I personally would stay away from anything downtown, or just central Escondido in general.

I live in the unincorporated areas of Escondido and couldn't be happier.

As for schools I can only speak for Elementary, but the good one's in Escondido are L.R. Green, San Pasqual Union, North Broadway, & Heritage Charter. There are some decent schools in San Marcos as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 12:23 PM

957 posts, read 3,350,913 times
Thanks J760. I did look at the school performance map and it looks like most are not very good, but there are a few that scored high-those must be the ones you're talking about.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by the unicorporated area? Also, are the charter schools similar to private schools there where you pay tuition but it's really low? Thx!

Old 04-13-2008, 01:37 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,233,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
Thanks J760. I did look at the school performance map and it looks like most are not very good, but there are a few that scored high-those must be the ones you're talking about.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by the unicorporated area? Also, are the charter schools similar to private schools there where you pay tuition but it's really low? Thx!

Yes, the one's that I mentioned are actually the best performance rated schools in Escondido. I'm not to fond of Escondido schools in general, but those are some decent ones that I have heard great things about. It was a few years ago now, but I met and spoke with the administration at L.R. Green School and I could tell they truly took pride in that school and the children's education, very nice looking school too.

I'm hoping someone can better explain unincorporated areas as I'm not to good at explaining it, and I live in one so it's about time I learn more.

For example though my zip code is an Escondido zip code, my mail is all addressed to Escondido, but yet we don't have a lot to do with the City of Escondido as we are considered county residents more so. There are a lot of unincorporated areas in San Diego County. Here is a wikipedia link that explains what an unincorporated area is better than I can.

Unincorporated area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for charter schools I would imagine they all have different policies, so it would be best to call them individually. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help in these two areas, but someone else I'm sure has more knowledge on these things and I look forward to learning more.

I did not used to like Escondido at all, whenever I came through here it was never appealing to me. The city has grown on me though and I truly enjoy it. Maybe my attitude would be different if I were living in a bad area, but I feel the city as many cities in the county has a lot to offer.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:38 PM

957 posts, read 3,350,913 times
That's okay. Thanks for the info. Also, do you know anything about Otay Ranch?

Old 09-18-2008, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 9,439 times
Southeast and southwest Escondido are probably the nicest overall, LR Greene Elementry, Bear Valley Middle School and San Pasqual High School. I don't think its any more dangerous here than anywhere else, kids can do stupid things no matter where they are. Eagle Crest area is nice if you like that kind of development. There are some nice areas in the far north and northwest Escondido too, around and past Jesmond Dean park.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,961 times
best to check areas at night and weekends you will see the hang out areas for thugs, escondido has its nice area just avoid the flower/tree streets (aster, begonia, ect) they are north south another clue is if you see a street with a lot of cars every evening its a red flag

Old 12-14-2008, 06:52 PM

140 posts, read 488,717 times
Generally in this world you generally get what you pay for.

If rents or housing in one location is much lower than another area. IT IS FOR A REASON.

If you don't mind a crack house next door and automatic weapons fire waking you up at all hours then go ahead and save some money and live in a cheaper area. Your quality of life may suffer a bit but you are saving money!!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:09 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Agree with above. If you see 7 cars and everyone is living in one house, problem. If you see bars on the windows, problem. And last but not least, if a hooker tries to get into your car on that block, problem

Old 12-21-2008, 09:03 AM

24 posts, read 80,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Agree with above. If you see 7 cars and everyone is living in one house, problem. If you see bars on the windows, problem. And last but not least, if a hooker tries to get into your car on that block, problem

Hookers?? Bars??? 7 cars of ppl living together!?? oh and Prostitutes???

Im sorry are you from Escondido?! I have lived here pretty much all my life and currently work at the afterschool program for Oak Hill elementary here in Escondido. And yes I do see a good number of kids who look to be going down the wrong path(mainly older) BUT its not some high crime city AT ALL!!!!! Escondido overall is a good community! and as for those comments about hookers/prostitutes?? NEVER ONCE HAVE I SEEN ONE STANDING ON THE CORNER! Bars?? didn't even understand that? and as for 7 cars of ppl living in one house not gonna lie possibly true but its not a crime. Also Escondido has a large latin community which means alot of good mex places to eat But overall I do not know of one bad elementary/middle/or highschool here! Sure some streets and apt buildings may look a lil more run down then usual but just dont choose to live their.

Escondido or even San Marcos would not be a bad place to live at all!

Old 12-21-2008, 01:44 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keh06 View Post
Hookers?? Bars??? 7 cars of ppl living together!?? oh and Prostitutes???

Im sorry are you from Escondido?! I have lived here pretty much all my life and currently work at the afterschool program for Oak Hill elementary here in Escondido. And yes I do see a good number of kids who look to be going down the wrong path(mainly older) BUT its not some high crime city AT ALL!!!!! Escondido overall is a good community! and as for those comments about hookers/prostitutes?? NEVER ONCE HAVE I SEEN ONE STANDING ON THE CORNER! Bars?? didn't even understand that? and as for 7 cars of ppl living in one house not gonna lie possibly true but its not a crime. Also Escondido has a large latin community which means alot of good mex places to eat But overall I do not know of one bad elementary/middle/or highschool here! Sure some streets and apt buildings may look a lil more run down then usual but just dont choose to live their.

Escondido or even San Marcos would not be a bad place to live at all!
Ok, the hooker thing was a stretch...and a joke

But, if you think Escondido doesn't have it's share of crime then I just don't know what to say here. Areas with poverty always have high crime rates and the inner section of Escondido has a high percentage of poverty with lot's of people with "questionable" citizenship status. That's all the more I'll comment on it.
I thinks it's wrong to be pc and skirt that issue when someone asks for an honest answer about the City.
There are many parts of the City that are wealthy with great hoods. It's also an area with lot's of agriculture that attracts migrant workers by the thousands. They have to live somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego