Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 11:40 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There are a million places that have beaches that aren't over inflated. Coastal Texas being one.

Personally, politically speaking I wouldn't live there (California) if someone GAVE me a half-million dollar condo.
Coastal Texas? Have you ever lived there? The mosquitoes are as big as grasshoppers.

And Missouri... I've lived there for 15 years. Springfield to St Louis. It was great in 90s. But Missouri ain't the same place these days.

Maybe it's the politics. Missouri used to be a 'purple' state. Now it's a lot more like KS. Gun-toting and bible-thumping.

That's why I like San Diego county. It ain't LA and it ain't the IE. I'll take that $500k condo in SD county any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 12:24 AM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times
I hope they would be smart enough to accept the 500K condo and rent it or sell it.
I am from Texas, let me tell yo Port Aransas, Corpus Christi and SPI have nothing on SD beaches. Branson MO beaches come close but not quite close enough for me.

Like cruitr say, SD politics ARE NOT SF and LA politics.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:06 PM

1,600 posts, read 939,625 times
Here's a start to making housing more affordable in CA:
1 - get rid of Prop 13 and replace to a non-market-value-based property tax based on size, type and location of property
2 - eliminate all tax breaks for 2nd homes and rentals
3 - prohibit foreign investment in residential real estate
4 - require 20% down and tighter lending standards
5 - Fed needs to stop playing patty cake with our monetary system; keep short and long terms rates at healthy levels vs trying to avoid recessions

You do all or some of these things, and watch housing become a healthier market and more affordable.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:22 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post
1 - get rid of Prop 13 and replace to a non-market-value-based property tax based on size, type and location of property
3 - prohibit foreign investment in residential real estate
4 - require 20% down and tighter lending standards
5 - Fed needs to stop playing patty cake with our monetary system; keep short and long terms rates at healthy levels vs trying to avoid recessions

You do all or some of these things, and watch housing become a healthier market and more affordable.
Just mentioning getting rid of Prop 13 will have people ready to burn you at the Stake here in California

Old 12-04-2018, 06:25 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times
^^ I'd be willing to listen, as long as it doesn't vary significantly year to year which prices homeowners out of there home. The variability is what bothers homeowners the most, if I know what I am getting into when buying a home and I agree to those terms then I am ok with it as my annual tax payment doesn't go from 4K to 10K in a manner of 5 years.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:53 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post

If you have a job, Trump's new tax plan has already wiped out most of the tax breaks for your PRIMARY home. Trump eliminated most State and Local Property Tax (SALT) deductions starting with your 2018 tax return.

Most working people may have seen a slight increase in their take home pay. However, if you typically received a Federal tax refund in the past, don't look for a refund in 2019.

Trump's new tax plan should have lowered the price of homes in general. But I don't think many people really understand all the tax deductions they lost thru home ownership.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:24 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,560 times
And by the way, for anyone who noticed, gas is NOT a buck less like a previous poster claimed. I get tired of hearing that false report go around too. We have been in Nebraska for 11 months and leaving to come home next month. I get friends all the time asking me how much cheaper it is here. I am telling you it is not. Of course housing is cheaper, but taxes and fuel and etc....it's not enough to even write a complaint about. Diesel fuel is about 20 cents less than CA in SD county. Rent? Pretty darn close for a decent place. Politics? Well that's a problem everywhere because we are so divided. My philosophy is this....live where it feels like home and you are comfortable. If politics of a place got you down,maybe you're putting to much faith in man and his silly ways. Last time I checked, I get out of bed in the morning, water comes out of the faucet, I can still do what I want within reason, and my life is what I make it....ME....not some a-hole in perceived power.

Anyways, rant over. Y'all have a good day. Enjoy it. It's new mercy that you woke up this morning. Life IS good. My veteran friend with no legs reminds me of this every day.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:42 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
And by the way, for anyone who noticed,gas is NOT a buck less like a previous poster claimed. I get tired of hearing that false report go around too. We have been in Nebraska for 11 months and leaving to come home next month. I get friends all the time asking me how much cheaper it is here. I am telling you it is not. Of course housing is cheaper, but taxes and fuel and etc....it's not enough to even write a complaint about. Diesel fuel is about 20 cents less than CA in SD county. Rent? Pretty darn close for a decent place. Politics? Well that's a problem everywhere because we are so divided. My philosophy is this....live where it feels like home and you are comfortable. If politics of a place got you down,maybe you're putting to much faith in man and his silly ways. Last time I checked, I get out of bed in the morning, water comes out of the faucet, I can still do what I want within reason, and my life is what I make it....ME....not some a-hole in perceived power.

Anyways, rant over. Y'all have a good day. Enjoy it. It's new mercy that you woke up this morning. Life IS good. My veteran friend with no legs reminds me of this every day.
Even if it is $1 more a gallon that’s only $40 a month for the average driver of 12,000 miles a year @ 25mpg.

I couldn’t agree more with you about getting worked up over politics. It has very little impact on the day to day life of the average American. Yeah this tax increase or policy may stink, but it’s never stopped me from enjoying my life to the fullest. If it does have a serious effect on you or your business you adapt, that’s how life works.

Are you coming home for good, or off to somewhere else?

Old 12-06-2018, 03:41 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
And by the way, for anyone who noticed, gas is NOT a buck less like a previous poster claimed. I get tired of hearing that false report go around too. We have been in Nebraska for 11 months and leaving to come home next month. I get friends all the time asking me how much cheaper it is here. I am telling you it is not. Of course housing is cheaper, but taxes and fuel and etc....it's not enough to even write a complaint about. Diesel fuel is about 20 cents less than CA in SD county. Rent? Pretty darn close for a decent place. Politics? Well that's a problem everywhere because we are so divided. My philosophy is this....live where it feels like home and you are comfortable. If politics of a place got you down,maybe you're putting to much faith in man and his silly ways. Last time I checked, I get out of bed in the morning, water comes out of the faucet, I can still do what I want within reason, and my life is what I make it....ME....not some a-hole in perceived power.

It is more than $1 cheaper per gallon.in Arkansas and Louisiana. Fact. Was $1.25 the other day when I checked

Old 12-09-2018, 08:19 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Even if it is $1 more a gallon that’s only $40 a month for the average driver of 12,000 miles a year @ 25mpg.

I couldn’t agree more with you about getting worked up over politics. It has very little impact on the day to day life of the average American. Yeah this tax increase or policy may stink, but it’s never stopped me from enjoying my life to the fullest. If it does have a serious effect on you or your business you adapt, that’s how life works.

Are you coming home for good, or off to somewhere else?
Great input on the gas thing. I absolutely agree with that mentality. Most of it is perceived and not really based in truth. Coming home for good....unless it sinks into the ocean like it's been predicted LOL....but yeah, looking forward to it more than I can put into words. Hope all is well with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
It is more than $1 cheaper per gallon.in Arkansas and Louisiana. Fact. Was $1.25 the other day when I checked
Not in AZ like it was claimed. And if gas prices are someone's end-all-be-all for a good life, then move to where gas is cheaper. And FACT...I looked on the Flying J/Pilot website where they post real-time daily fuel prices. The cheapest is found in West Monroe at $1.85. Diesel, which I use, is $2.99. In CA it is $3.45. Not a huge savings and certainly not enough to consider a chithole like Louisiana. I am sure you can find it for $1.25 if you want to drive around and find some local convenience store that is selling cheap....but I didn't come on here to argue about fuel prices nor bitsch about them. If someone doesn't like it, move to the cheaper gas country and be happy.

Last edited by BBslider001; 12-09-2018 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego