Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 03:50 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times

Advertisements

I agree, the truth is rain here is usually pretty light compared to other parts of the country. Even if we do get a downpour, downpours here usually only go on for 15-20 mins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 03:55 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
Hmmm...Maybe the hotel will have umbrellas. I don't think we have room for rain jackets. I packed hoodies, but not rain jackets. And I know we won't melt. It's just that when you are coming from grey mid 50s, and picturing sunny mid 70s, the forecast of rainy/cloudy mid 60s is throwing me a mental curve.

So far we are thinking Thursday we will check out the USS Midway, Balboa Park (especially the model train museum), and maybe the aquarium or a movie. At least the aquarium, which has Pacific Ocean habitat, could be different than out NC aquarium.
Mild climate rain jackets can be extremely packable...even stuff them in a pocket. Put one in a day pack or carryon bag. The hoodie and your other clothing keep you warm. All the jacket has to do is keep them dry. Lots of inexpensive options.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:49 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Quote:
So far we are thinking Thursday we will check out the USS Midway, Balboa Park (especially the model train museum), and maybe the aquarium or a movie. At least the aquarium, which has Pacific Ocean habitat, could be different than out NC aquarium.
It would take you a week to see all of these places.

Since you're into trains, be sure to check out the new train depot @ Old Town. It's free. Donations accepted.

https://oldtowntrains.com/

Old 11-28-2018, 09:19 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
It would take you a week to see all of these places.

Since you're into trains, be sure to check out the new train depot @ Old Town. It's free. Donations accepted.

https://oldtowntrains.com/
I love that hidden gem! I discovered it during lunch at Old Town next to my office last year. Great dioramas, urban vs rural with some funny tongue-in-cheek scenes.

Another hidden gem is the J. A. Cooley Museum in a deep storefront in North Park off of Park & El Cajon Blvd. Hardly anybody has heard of this and it really is a cool independent museum.
http://www.gothere.com/mg-world/Museums/cooley.htm

Last edited by T. Damon; 11-28-2018 at 09:28 AM..

Old 11-28-2018, 09:40 AM

1,052 posts, read 798,954 times
This particular storm will be pretty blustery. Even so, as mentioned the storm will likely be a series of short downpours with periods of no rain in between. I would recommend Balboa Park for Thursday. You can duck into museums when raining and walk under covered walkways for a good portion of the park. A cool activity would be climbing to the top of the bell tower at the Museum of Man. Fleet Science center has an IMAX theatre. Japanese Garden could be nice during a dry spell after rain. Natural History museum is great. Air and Space Museum.

Assuming you have a smartphone, download a weather app with radar. You can watch and predict the rain bands as they pass through and not get caught.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:55 PM

440 posts, read 534,186 times
The USS Midway and the Model Railroad Museum are both good ideas for a rainy day. They do a fantastic job decorating the model train dioramas for the holidays but I'm not sure when that starts. The Birch Aquarium would be good for a couple of hours but be aware some of the exhibits are outdoors.

On the weekend, you might enjoy the Botanic Garden's holiday festival; lots of fun for families but go earlier rather than later in the evening: https://www.sdbgarden.org/lights.htm

Since you want holidays and palm trees, you could go to the Ocean Beach Holiday Parade on Saturday. It's very iconically southern California beach town vibe and where else can you see a Christmas Tree on the beach? We didn't realize how many families lived on Point Loma until we went to this parade the year after we moved here.
https://www.sandiego.org/explore/eve...ay-parade.aspx

Old 11-28-2018, 01:28 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,069,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I love that hidden gem! I discovered it during lunch at Old Town next to my office last year. Great dioramas, urban vs rural with some funny tongue-in-cheek scenes.

Another hidden gem is the J. A. Cooley Museum in a deep storefront in North Park off of Park & El Cajon Blvd. Hardly anybody has heard of this and it really is a cool independent museum.
J. A. Cooley Museum
I pass by there when I'm on my way to get a haircut next door - but yeah blink and you'll miss it.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:10 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
We homeschool and are fine with educational history or science activities. I was just hoping we could do something "different." I want palm trees and sun mixed with Christmas.

Can you help?

Thank you!
You may already know this but there are 17 museums in Balboa Park. Some of my personal favorites with kids are:

Fleet Science Center
Natural History Museum
Museum of Man
Air & Space Museum

The Fleet Science Center has a cool IMAX theater and lots of hands on activities.

You can find out about all of the museums here: https://www.balboapark.org/explore/museums

If it's raining on Saturday, another Balboa Park option is the Dr. Seuss Christmas play at the Old Globe Theater. Details: https://www.theoldglobe.org/shows--t...-and-upcoming/

Depending on the ages of your kids, you might also take a look at these fun activities: https://www.iflyworld.com/san-diego/
Miramar Speed Circuit - San Diego laser tag, go cart racing, best team building, corporate events, birthday parties, bachelor parties, Bar Mitzvahs, and more.
https://www.verticalhold.com/

I really love Anza Borrego State Park, but it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice of destination with younger kids because it's a longish drive and the best bits require hiking. If you do decide to head that way, be sure to check out the exhibits in the visitor's center. The folks there will give you some ideas for other things to see as well. BUT be sure to check the weather forecast for Borrego Springs, as it may be raining there too.

If you like the idea of the desert, you could also add an overnight between SD and Disney and do a trip to Joshua Tree National Park or Palm Springs (take the ariel tram). This will add to your driving time, and neither are day trips from SD. But, both have lots of things to see and do for kids. Again, be sure to check the weather forecasts, but I find Joshua Tree NP to be really special when it is raining. And, if it's raining in Palm Springs, there's a good chance that you can see snow if you take the tram up to the mountain.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:50 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
You could try to get those one of those effectively throw away light plastic slickers with a hoodie such as given away as part of a bus tour (we used them in Paris and London on one of those Jump on Jump off buses). You certainly won't need a thick jacket for the temperature.

I bet some discount stores stock them- maybe even the hotel.
CVS has yellow and red rain hoodie ponchos in neat little lightweight rolls. But the way temps have been plunging, I hope the OP and family actually brought some down jackets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego