Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:26 PM

8 posts, read 51,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
What an ignoramus I am. . . sitting before work the other day on the patio of the Starbuck's at Euclid and Market having coffee. . . the site of most murders in S.D. County! It didn't honestly seem that bad mid afternoon but best to stay away from there at night for sure.

the mini mall in which that starbucks is located is not the notorious area of shootings back in the 80s and 90s. things have changed a bit. back then, people called the intersection of euclid and market, where the gas station and greene cat liquor are located, "the four corners of death."

this thread angers me because it is SO typical of the san diego majority - smug, condescending, and covertly prejudiced.

yes, southeast san diego is not the best area of san diego. it does have crime, and has historically had crime. yes, many blacks and mexicans live there. however, do not think that it is scary and tough, full of projects and people trying to shoot at you. most of southeast is very suburban looking. lots of families live there, and are trying to maintain in aneconomically depressed area. there are vitalizations going on, like the additions of starbucks, the market creek plaza, the huge home depot, a couple of banks, and more. it has been transformed into "the diamond district" and is slowing becoming more alive. many homes (NICE homes) and condos have been added to the area. people are skeptical about moving in, but hey...that's san diego for you.

of course, if you are foolhardy in any area in a city, you are llikely to be harmed. however, in southeast, little harm is likely to come to you if you are cautious and mind your own business. sadly, gang banging does occur. there is little random violence there against innnocent bystanders. if you are are punk kid who is trying to act tough, your chances for survival are slim.

one thing about southeast which cannot be said about other areas of sd is that there are very very few homeless people there on the streets (if any at all). you would think that the powers that be in nearby downtown would sweep the homeless toward southeast, to make the area more attractive to the yuppies, but that hasn't happened yet.

if you are in southeast you do not need to clutch your purse or fear that you will be mugged/raped/shot...not even in the night hours. but as i said, it always pays to be cautious.

the whole "southeast san diego" attitude is what makes me want to leave san diego entirely. it is VERY segregated here. people are secretly biggoted. they will smile in your face but harbor fears if you are a "minority." you will be followed by the cops if you are brown skinned. you will be eyed in affluent areas, especially in stores. you will not receive proper service in some parts of san diego, if you are not white. the underlying pulse of the city is...conservativism, dislike of mexican people (both legal and illegal citizenry), and disdain for blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 07:13 PM

258 posts, read 1,650,860 times
Default Dreamland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj356 View Post
Being a Native San Diegan, I'm really 'shocked' by the tone of the discussion regarding Southeast San Diego. Why are the social stigmas of "crime-ridden", "minority", "race", "black or Hispanic" and "poor" being ascribed to an area like Valencia Park? It's simply an area that was "lily white" until the mid-50's; when "white flight" occurred and (seemingly) normal migration patterns began to take place. People who occupy the lower rungs in our socio-economic system DO NOT create segregation or ghettoes (and the social-ills that result!) When will we as a people 'own up' to our responsibilities to one another as Brothers???
Look lets face the realities honestly. The areas of SE/SD have a heavy gang presence. The gangs happen to be Mexican, Filipino and black. The only White gangs of any consequence are in East County towns. And honestly these White suburban gangs pale in comparison to the SE/SD gangs in terms of violent crime.

Life in the Ghettos and Barrios of SE/SD is rough. There is a kill or be killed attitide of survival of the fittest and most ruthless. The White suburban gangs live in a more stable economic envioronment and really only exist because these kids are bored, on drugs and/or alcohol or want to emulate the real gangs of SD proper.

Until the family and economic situations change you will see generations of these urban terrorists kill each other, deal drugs and generally either end up in prison or wind up dead.

Don't make excuses for the punks who run with gangs, while they oppress their own citizens in their own neighborhoods with violence and murder. Decent working people should be free to walk their own neighborhoods with their families and not worry about a stray bullet hitting their kids.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
East San Diego/SE whatever you want to call it is the hood
I don't care what sub-area you choose but all of that area is bad
JK Southbay88 you are right that area is bad. Its not just gang on gang crime down there, but innocent folks being victimized.

A co-worker of mine who lives in SE told me that many armed robberies are comitted by the gang members who live in SE.

They rob people in their own neighborhoods, as well as in more affluent areas.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:44 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I work very near that intersection and have been in and out of the area for a long, long time. I can't tell you how many shootings have been in that area. My building has been shot up 3 times by random shots and I requested an office that isn't next to a window since I work early. We go to the sandwich shop or the taco shop once in a while for lunch but we don't stop ANYWHERE after dark.

About 10 years ago there was a shooting at the taco bell, liquor store, bank and gas station all within one year and that's on ONE BLOCK. I work with people that live right in that area and they tell me stories that are pretty darn scary. The worst one for me was stopping off after work to get some beer at that liquor store and as a guy runs out with 2 twelve packs the store owner empties it at the guy. I don't know if he hit him or not but every one of those rounds went into the hood in the background.

I will admit it looks better but it isn't enough for me to go grousing around shopping or anything after it gets dark at 4:30.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I work very near that intersection and have been in and out of the area for a long, long time. I can't tell you how many shootings have been in that area. My building has been shot up 3 times by random shots and I requested an office that isn't next to a window since I work early. We go to the sandwich shop or the taco shop once in a while for lunch but we don't stop ANYWHERE after dark.

About 10 years ago there was a shooting at the taco bell, liquor store, bank and gas station all within one year and that's on ONE BLOCK. I work with people that live right in that area and they tell me stories that are pretty darn scary. The worst one for me was stopping off after work to get some beer at that liquor store and as a guy runs out with 2 twelve packs the store owner empties it at the guy. I don't know if he hit him or not but every one of those rounds went into the hood in the background.

I will admit it looks better but it isn't enough for me to go grousing around shopping or anything after it gets dark at 4:30.
Sounds like there is still alot of gun-play out on the streets of SE/SD.

This is probably where most of the armed robbers who are currently robbing folks in La Mesa are coming from !

Its too bad that its so difficult and expensive to get a concealed carry permit for most law abiding citizens. I looked at the SD Sherriffs website and unless you a store owner or in a private detective/armed bodyguard category, you will likely not get a permit.

Most of these robbers might think twice about robbing you if they knew you could shoot back !

Old 01-02-2009, 10:03 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Used to be easy to get CC but no more. I don't carry the banks drop box bags so I don't qualify for CC.

Now only the bad guys carry.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Now only the bad guys carry.
Unfortunate but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego