Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:47 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
When I moved back to CA from Virginia, I went to get my CA drivers license back, and they surprised me with the written test. I hadn't read anything, zero preparation. I went ahead and took it, figuring the worst case, that I failed, would be the same result as not taking it at all. For every question, I chose the answer that was the most simpering, the most pandering to whiny special-interests, or that reflected the greatest possible amount of government intrusion in our lives. I scored 100%. So there's that...
Not a California phenomenon ala states with many religiously motivated laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 10:25 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,816 times
So apparently the feds said California Real IDs weren't valid because they weren't checking 2 forms of permanent residence, though they will start doing that in the near future before issuing. For those of us that got them last year, ours will be valid, but when it comes time to renew in 5 years, we're going to have to submit a 2nd form of permanent residence proof.

The weird thing is that all the literature said these weren't supposed to go into effect until 2020, but then on the news they were saying that due to the government shut down, the extension for California's Real ID got delayed and we'd need passports to fly this year...which is weird.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:01 PM

75 posts, read 199,717 times
Default Went in without an appointment

With my birthday coming up and a renewal needed in person along with needing to get the REAL-ID, I attempted to make an appointment about a month ago. The DMV website showed no available appointments. Yesterday, I tried again and this time the earliest appointment was in December. Too late for me, so I went without an appointment.

I arrived at 3:02 PM. Out the door at 4:22 PM with a temp drivers license. I need the temp drivers license in case mine expires before the new one comes in.

What made the experience smoother was filling out everything online ahead of time, and then showing the online code when I went in. Else you will be sent to a computer where you have to fill out the online information, and then get back in line to be assigned a number.

The parking lot was pretty full when I went in. When I left, it was a lot emptier. This tells me it would probably be even faster to go a bit later.

Pretty decent experience overall

Old 09-13-2019, 09:41 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
Just got mine renewed about 2 weeks ago.

I got my standard DL renewal notice and decided to go for the Real ID.

My experiences:
* Use the on-line checklist & application process.
* Make an appointment and PRINT OUT your appointment confirmation code - it will make getting in easier and faster
* Bring all of the required documents with you - I saw lots of people trying to get in w/o the documents and they didn't get very far
* BRING YOUR RENEWAL NOTICE: it will state whether you need the vision and the knowledge test or just vision test.
Mine just said vision, but when I got to the service desk the person there said I needed to take the vision and knowledge test. I showed him my renewal notice and it got me out of taking the knowledge test. So it saved me stress and another line to stand in! BRING YOUR NOTICE.
* The renewal fee is $36; cash, check, or debit -credit cards not taken

From start to finish, with a morning appointment it took about 45 minutes.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:42 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Just got mine renewed about 2 weeks ago.

I got my standard DL renewal notice and decided to go for the Real ID.

My experiences:
* Use the on-line checklist & application process.
* Make an appointment and PRINT OUT your appointment confirmation code - it will make getting in easier and faster
* Bring all of the required documents with you - I saw lots of people trying to get in w/o the documents and they didn't get very far
* BRING YOUR RENEWAL NOTICE: it will state whether you need the vision and the knowledge test or just vision test.
Mine just said vision, but when I got to the service desk the person there said I needed to take the vision and knowledge test. I showed him my renewal notice and it got me out of taking the knowledge test. So it saved me stress and another line to stand in! BRING YOUR NOTICE.
* The renewal fee is $36; cash, check, or debit -credit cards not taken

From start to finish, with a morning appointment it took about 45 minutes.
I just used your excellent checklist at the Poway DMV. Sat down at 4:45, and was done and out the door at 5:30.

I was a bit worried about proofs of occupancy, because my passport (my submission for federally recognized ID) has my middle name, and most of my other paperwork doesn't. It was all OK. Apparently first and last name and matching address is sufficient. I had more documents than I needed because I wasn't certain what something like "medical paperwork" means. The clerk who checked me in was visibly happy that I had already filled in the forms online and had my confirmation code, and she said the DMV renewal itself was my first proof of occupancy, and she leafed through my papers and used my property tax bill for the other one.

She also offered to have me do the vision test while I waited. I replied that I didn't need any testing. She said that if I need to come in I need a vision test. I had my renewal that showed that I didn't need to come in. If I wasn't asking for a Real-ID, I could have just renewed online.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:45 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,805,928 times
I went with an appointment a few months ago. I scheduled it online first available was 10 weeks out in Clairemont. So get on it early. I spent 45 mins there and in that time I think I overheard at least four/five people not having all the needed documentation for the REAL ID. Make sure you bring everything and like others have said complete as much as you can at home

Old 09-14-2019, 07:36 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,361,673 times
My daughter is going through this now. We noticed on the DMV website that the on-line appointment schedule is only available for the next 3 months. If you go online on 09/18 the farthest date available to schedule will be 12/18. If you go on 09/19, the farthest date available date will be 12/19.

That checklist Trekker99 posted was great. We printed it out and she will follow it. Thanks!

Old 09-14-2019, 07:41 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
I went without an appointment because we are in between traveling. So I went in shortly before closing and had a short (for Poway) wait.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:57 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Thank you, thank you, everybody! I just happened to read this thread. I got my renewal notice a while back and had just planned to do a regular renewal--but after reading the thread I immediately went to the DMV website, and got an REAL ID appointment! 3rd date request worked. I selected documents, and printed everything out. Without this thread I would just have opted for the regular renewal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego