Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,082 times

Advertisements

Hi, I’m looking to move to San Diego county from Los Angeles. I was wondering about Fallbrook. My friend said when her family was developing North San Diego in the 70-80’s that the KKK head lived in Fallbrook and because of that Fallbrook got some notoriety. He’s been gone 30 years but I was wondering if it still affects resale at all? My husband and I have a few horses and love the ability to get a beautiful home and land for them at a reasonable price compared to my Los Angeles ranch. Just want opinions on how you all feel about the vibe of the place. The home I like is 843 Del Valle it’s between Bonsall and Camp Pendleton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 05:32 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourlehrness View Post
Hi, I’m looking to move to San Diego county from Los Angeles. I was wondering about Fallbrook. My friend said when her family was developing North San Diego in the 70-80’s that the KKK head lived in Fallbrook and because of that Fallbrook got some notoriety. He’s been gone 30 years but I was wondering if it still affects resale at all? My husband and I have a few horses and love the ability to get a beautiful home and land for them at a reasonable price compared to my Los Angeles ranch. Just want opinions on how you all feel about the vibe of the place. The home I like is 843 Del Valle it’s between Bonsall and Camp Pendleton.
Fallbrook is a nice somewhat withdrawn area, with a nice old downtown, though not as much so as in the past. Nice area to live, but a bit of a commute to anywhere but Oceanside or Escondido.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:34 AM

7 posts, read 8,382 times
The Notorious person you are referring to is Tom Metzger. In the 1970's was a Grand Dragon (or something) in the KKK. He has since left that organization and started a different "Lone-Wolf format" group.
There is a very good Documentary by Louis Theroux called "Louis and the Nazis", where Louis Theroux gets the real scoop on Tom Metzger and hangs out with him for a full day as they drive around Fallbrook, Ca. meet a lot of very nice people.
I met Tom quite a few times around town and he was always a pleasant individual. I even saw him one morning at one of the local breakfast spots and he was sitting at a table with a Hispanic man and two Black gentlemen. They were talking and laughing and at one point some water dripped onto their table from the A/C system on the roof and Tom got up to tell the(Hispanic)waitress what was happening and she promptly helped them move to another table, and he called her Honey.
With his so-called reputation as an evil racist, I was expecting him to be really upset and fly off the handle.
This all being said, Tom has since moved to Indiana(Now back to California near the Hemet area). One should not worry about about some "hate filled racist organization" in the area that doesn't exist, and worry more about the many Latino gangs, smuggling groups and high crime in the area. The San Diego County Sheriff is ok, but severely understaffed and they just do not care about property crime at all which is rampant in the area.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:05 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Fallbrook is a nice somewhat withdrawn area, with a nice old downtown, though not as much so as in the past. Nice area to live, but a bit of a commute to anywhere but Oceanside or Escondido.
Or Temecula? The reverse commute there would be a breeze. We looked at Fallbrook when my wife got a good job offer in Temecula, but just like with Temecula, the commute would crush my soul even in the off hours. I will say the backup to Temecula usually doesn’t start until after Fallbrook so it has that going for it. It also has beautiful houses on acreage with views for miles for what a typical house in an average neighborhood of San Diego goes for.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:51 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourlehrness View Post
The home I like is 843 Del Valle it’s between Bonsall and Camp Pendleton.
That house is beautiful. Love the 4-car garage with room to build more.

However, we couldn't live there:
1. Over 50 miles to the SD airport. We don't fly a lot anymore but we do get lots of fly-in guests.
2. It's very close to Pendleton. You'll hear night bombings. I could handle the noise but not the ground shakes.
3. The high Firestorm potential. See 2007 video below. Be sure to check with your insurance agent before signing any papers. Some areas of Fallbrook cannot get fire insurance.

Don't worry about the KKK stuff no matter what your color. It's all gone but not forgotten. Santee is still known as Klantee. Chula Vista is still known Chula Jiuana. And Lake Elsinore held KKK rallies decades ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQivcOfmc3k

Old 02-01-2020, 06:14 PM

Agreed cruitr. 50 miles translates to 2.5 hours drive time. In Southern California, we always related any distance in time it takes to travel there instead of miles. When my wife worked on board Camp Pendleton, we lived exactly 9 miles away and it was taking almost 45mins with all the traffic for her to get to work. The Howitzer practice never bothered me(grew up there). But the traffic, taxes/fees, crime and natural disasters took its toll.
I was standing on Ranger Road on Oct. 22, 2007 and watched the Rice Fire jump all lanes of the 15 and burn its way into Fallbrook with not one firefighter in sight. All they did was do reverse 911 warning everyone to evacuate, causing a 4 hour traffic nightmare as the entire population of Fallbrook was evacuated through Camp Pendleton. Then they used National Guard and Police officers from every available corner of SoCal to keep the residents out for almost 5 days. Meanwhile peoples homes and businesses were being looted and vandalized(or burned down)while they were evacuated trying to find someplace to go.
I was also there in 2003 when the Cedar Fire jumped 2 seperate highways and burned all the way to the ocean.
That area has 3 seasons: Summer, Fire and Flood season.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:43 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCruz1 View Post
. . . .
Naw. Four seasons. You missed out Drought season.

Old 02-02-2020, 01:52 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Quote:
Agreed cruitr. 50 miles translates to 2.5 hours drive time. In Southern California, we always related any distance in time it takes to travel there instead of miles. When my wife worked on board Camp Pendleton, we lived exactly 9 miles away and it was taking almost 45mins with all the traffic for her to get to work. The Howitzer practice never bothered me(grew up there). But the traffic, taxes/fees, crime and natural disasters took its toll.
I was standing on Ranger Road on Oct. 22, 2007 and watched the Rice Fire jump all lanes of the 15 and burn its way into Fallbrook with not one firefighter in sight. All they did was do reverse 911 warning everyone to evacuate, causing a 4 hour traffic nightmare as the entire population of Fallbrook was evacuated through Camp Pendleton. Then they used National Guard and Police officers from every available corner of SoCal to keep the residents out for almost 5 days. Meanwhile peoples homes and businesses were being looted and vandalized(or burned down)while they were evacuated trying to find someplace to go.
I was also there in 2003 when the Cedar Fire jumped 2 seperate highways and burned all the way to the ocean.
Well that’s a gross exaggeration, especially in regards to Fallbrook

Old 03-02-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Well that’s a gross exaggeration, especially in regards to Fallbrook
Was just there on February 21, took 1 hour and 15 minutes to drive to Temecula.
#neveragain

Old 03-02-2020, 12:41 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,701,984 times
Quote:
Was just there on February 21, took 1 hour and 15 minutes to drive to Temecula.
#neveragain
From Fallbrook?

Were you driving in reverse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego