Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 01:16 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times

Advertisements

I have several out-of-town guests staying with us over the Christmas holidays. Our Christmas guests are always amazed by the residential neighborhood Christmas lights. Some neighborhoods dim out and some keep growing.

Here are a few that I'm comfortable will light-up in December 2019:
1. Oviedo St in PQ (Rancho Penasquitos)
2. Jamar Dr in Clairemont
3. W Glendon Circle in Santee
4. Hickory St in Poway

Garrison St in Point Loma died (confirmed). The Del Mar Fairgrounds Holiday of Lights closed down in 2015. Chula Vista had a nice one (Whitney St) but I heard it is dying.

Does anyone know of any other Christmas light neighborhoods for 2019?

Dec 24th only - Plumosa Drive (off Chatsworth Blvd near the airport) and the surrounding streets put out 100's (maybe 1000's) of Luminaria on their curbs. A luminary is a paper bag, with sand in the bottom, and a lighted votive candle pressed into the sand. My wife and I drive thru the neighborhood every year. But it's one night only - Dec 24th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 10:04 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,805,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
I have several out-of-town guests staying with us over the Christmas holidays. Our Christmas guests are always amazed by the residential neighborhood Christmas lights. Some neighborhoods dim out and some keep growing.

Here are a few that I'm comfortable will light-up in December 2019:
1. Oviedo St in PQ (Rancho Penasquitos)
2. Jamar Dr in Clairemont
3. W Glendon Circle in Santee
4. Hickory St in Poway

Garrison St in Point Loma died (confirmed). The Del Mar Fairgrounds Holiday of Lights closed down in 2015. Chula Vista had a nice one (Whitney St) but I heard it is dying.

Does anyone know of any other Christmas light neighborhoods for 2019?

Dec 24th only - Plumosa Drive (off Chatsworth Blvd near the airport) and the surrounding streets put out 100's (maybe 1000's) of Luminaria on their curbs. A luminary is a paper bag, with sand in the bottom, and a lighted votive candle pressed into the sand. My wife and I drive thru the neighborhood every year. But it's one night only - Dec 24th.
The first one you listed in PQ- Christmas Card Lane (really good choice). The Union Tribune has written articles in the past I believe ranking the neighborhoods. Most of them will not change year to year

Old 11-12-2019, 10:19 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Don't forget about Pepper Drive in El Cajon and Whitney St In Chula Vista aka Candy cane Ln.
As a mater of fact, I'm helping a friend of mine with his lights, this Saturday. Pepper Drive is going to be Lit this year.
Get it, lit, Christmas lights

Old 11-12-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
The first one you listed in PQ- Christmas Card Lane (really good choice). The Union Tribune has written articles in the past I believe ranking the neighborhoods. Most of them will not change year to year
I read the UT. They say Garrison St is going strong. It's not. Also, the UT lists a lot of single-home light shows. That's not what I'm looking for. I'll looking for more Oviedo Sts.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Don't forget about Pepper Drive in El Cajon and Whitney St In Chula Vista aka Candy cane Ln.
As a mater of fact, I'm helping a friend of mine with his lights, this Saturday. Pepper Drive is going to be Lit this year.
I'll check into Pepper Drive in El Cajon. Is Whitney St In Chula Vista still going strong?

Old 11-12-2019, 01:41 PM

34 posts, read 37,197 times
There is a neighborhood here in La Costa that decorates for Christmas and they sync the lights and lighted displays to music, its pretty cool. Its off Alga and Alicante.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:29 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
I'll check into Pepper Drive in El Cajon. Is Whitney St In Chula Vista still going strong?
it was a couple of years back. We haven't check it out since 2017, but it was still pretty strong back then, very nice light displays.
My wife's old boss throws one of a hell of a Christmas party every year on Pepper drive. We sit on their deck and watch the cars go by for hours.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:11 PM

111 posts, read 74,445 times
Quote:
Is Whitney St In Chula Vista still going strong?
Whitney/Candy Cane Lane is still strong. There’s a guy I grew up with that lives on Whitney and sends us a picture of the house every year on their Christmas card.

That said, there is a turd in the neighborhood now that bah humbugs the thing, doesn’t decorate and shuts his whole house off and does nothin but whine about the traffic. Why the hell someone would move into a neighborhood that’s done this for at least 50 years is beyond me.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger09 View Post
Whitney/Candy Cane Lane is still strong. There’s a guy I grew up with that lives on Whitney and sends us a picture of the house every year on their Christmas card.

That said, there is a turd in the neighborhood now that bah humbugs the thing, doesn’t decorate and shuts his whole house off and does nothin but whine about the traffic. Why the hell someone would move into a neighborhood that’s done this for at least 50 years is beyond me.
Thanks. I'm working on my tour routes right now. Whitney St will be on the tour.

There's always at least one Scrooge in the 'hood. Oviedo St in PQ is my personal favorite. There are always 3 or 4 homes who won't participate in any way.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:31 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I literally live 5 mins away from Pepper on the Lakeside city limit and never knew there was a holiday light show....I'm going to drive around in the comings weeks up Pepper to find this. The rich East County folk over in Blossom Valley have Christmas light shows with FM radio signal music and all., this is where we usually go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego