Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 10:02 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I went to Costco at Morena on Wednesday. Showed up at 8:30 (they open at 10:00 in normal situations).

All toilet paper was gone before under 60s could get in.

First off, I'd stake my life on some of the people in the over 60 line not being over 60. Second, many much younger people were going in with over 60s.

The toilet paper issue is a real issue, as outlined in the link.

https://marker.medium.com/what-every...e-c812e1358fe0
Not here in Zorange County, you have to show your ID to get in. I’m barely over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 10:14 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,576,900 times
I've been pretty fortunate as a newer costco opened up closer to my house. I go on Monday or tuesday. My old costco wasnt that crowded, but this one is so close. No line. Plenty of stock. Maybe one person in line at the register. No lines for gas. Luckily for me I have TP to last for about a year and 2/3 as I don't use it very quickly.
I really feel for you people in California. The good thing is the state took early action while here in Georgia we are way behind.
The Governor just announced a few days ago he didn't know asymptomatic people could still transmit the virus. wth? We all knew that weeks ago, how is he so out of the loop, especially with the CDC here.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You do realize that the suppliers have likely increased prices so the independent stores just pass it on to the customer.

Why is a 60+ year old even going to Costco? Do they live alone or have a family of 5 living with them? If yes to either part then they don't need to be there (if they do have the family of 5 then send someone younger to the store!).
Yes, I am sure the suppliers may have added extra charges but why are some stores increasing prices more than other stores.

As for seniors, what makes you think they do not need things like paper towels, TP etc. The types of items most of us buy at big box stores or just produce etc? I am a bit shocked you seem to not think seniors should shop at places where they can get the best prices and where they can buy enough as to not have to go out in public as often.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:25 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,578,581 times
Quote:
Why is a 60+ year old even going to Costco? Do they live alone or have a family of 5 living with them? If yes to either part then they don't need to be there (if they do have the family of 5 then send someone younger to the store!).
My wife and I live alone. We have no family living here in San Diego. At 67 yrs old why did I go to Costco? Our food supply was low. Both Costco and Amazon have no delivery dates available. We've checking for a delivery date for over a week.

Btw... I waited about 30 minutes in line to checkout. The checkout line was shopping cart to shopping cart. No one was spacing us.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
My wife and I live alone. We have no family living here in San Diego. At 67 yrs old why did I go to Costco? Our food supply was low. Both Costco and Amazon have no delivery dates available. We've checking for a delivery date for over a week.
My situation as well, only we are in our 80s. We do have family but we certainly do not want them doing everything for us and yes, we do our shopping at Sam's. We stock up once a month so by the time we are down to about that last week we need a lot of groceries. We have tried to check on delivery dates at WalM art, nothing and tried Sam's pick up only (not the senior pick up) same story: no dates available.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:37 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
Quote:
You do realize that the suppliers have likely increased prices so the independent stores just pass it on to the customer.

I'm over 60, and I go to Costco. I shop where I want to shop, that has what I want at the time. And right now, it's a trip to several stores to find it.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:37 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,578,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My situation as well, only we are in our 80s. We do have family but we certainly do not want them doing everything for us and yes, we do our shopping at Sam's. We stock up once a month so by the time we are down to about that last week we need a lot of groceries. We have tried to check on delivery dates at WalM art, nothing and tried Sam's pick up only (not the senior pick up) same story: no dates available.
When we lived in St Louis, we shopped at Sam's Club. Our old Sam's Club was sort of a Walmart on steroids. Sam's Club has a much larger selection of stuff over Costco. Unfortunately, I think there's only one Sam's Club still open in the San Diego area. It's a long drive and it's not well-maintained.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:40 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,236,065 times
I don't get the whole Temple of Costco and putting up with lines.

Ever since this situation has started, I've gone to either Vons or Stater Brothers; no lines - just walk in and shop.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:40 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post

Btw... I waited about 30 minutes in line to checkout. The checkout line was shopping cart to shopping cart. No one was spacing us.
That was the one thing I saw at Morena as well. They let the under 60s come in at 8:50 on Wednesday and as I was shopping, the line to check out was backed up to the frozen fish section - - I've never seen it like that before.

By the time I checked out, it was back to normal and they did have signs on the floor as to wear to stand. People were following it then, but not during the initial rush.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:41 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
The San Diego Sam's Club is in College Grove, and it's literally always empty. I don't know how they can stay in business. Maybe because a membership are half the price one at Costco.

I went in there one day just to look around, and wasn't impressed. I'll stick to Costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego