Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 05:37 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,491,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Electrical probably does not need fixing a lot.

But I really do not notice this phenomenon anywhere else. Like in the NYC metro there is no one trade makes more. Its whoever can get the most business. Even Union type jobs is all about what your union can get. There is no general notion that one makes more than the other.

Yet for most "plumbing" work like unclogging toilet, replacing broken pipes, etc, etc, I just hire handy man. You dont need the licensed guy unless you are gut renovating, and need to pull permits.

Heck even with installing water heater, a handy man should suffice. Those guys come cheap because they are a plethora.
I know union electricians in NYC who make 200k+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 10:05 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,459,177 times
Quote:
Yet for most "plumbing" work like unclogging toilet, replacing broken pipes, etc, etc, I just hire handy man. You dont need the licensed guy unless you are gut renovating, and need to pull permits.

Some counties I believe require a permit just to replace a water heater. The homeowner can do it without one but an unlicensed handyman can't or at least not legally. The risk is on them however the homeowner could run into an insurance issue if there was a major leak.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:12 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,459,177 times
Quote:
Electrical probably does not need fixing a lot.

This. Recently I installed a few LED wafers in an upstairs room. Rooting around in the attic for the circuit, I found a connection outside a j-box that was soldered together. Even so, it still worked -- no issues. This is a 60 year old house and the way it looked (original big metal staples along the romex), it had been that way since day one. I don't think inspections were done more than once on old construction and who knows how detailed a check those guys did back then. I doubt that was code even in the 60s.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:28 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,336,894 times
Why does this bother you in the first place? Plenty of valid reasons have been given that justifies their pay. Also not mentioned is that plumbing can never be outsourced to India or China.

Are you one of those ones that had "college degree" drilled into your head since birth, got one, and only making $50k a year and it gets under your skin and makes you go bananas that some of these workers didn't and they make more than you?

It's a valuable trade. That's the beginning and end of it.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:50 AM

4,026 posts, read 1,882,749 times
"non union electrician apprientices start at 15$/hr."

So do full-timers at Hobby Lobby. No exp. needed. Min. wage is 15/hr lots of places - and in those cases, I'd prefer the hobby lobby job to plumbing apprentice, for the same pay.

I think you guys add up the annual pay - but forget the work.

100K a year / 2000 hours is "just" $50/hour. Do you know a single trade - plumber, electrician, carpenter - that will do an hourly job at your residence at less than 50/hour? I don't. Do it full time, own your own shop = 100K. But most charge much more. And pay an answering service out of that.

Don't envy the workers, folks - they WORK. Don't want them to earn that much? Do the work yourself. It's that simple.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:01 AM

243 posts, read 229,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Why does this bother you in the first place? Plenty of valid reasons have been given that justifies their pay. Also not mentioned is that plumbing can never be outsourced to India or China.

Are you one of those ones that had "college degree" drilled into your head since birth, got one, and only making $50k a year and it gets under your skin and makes you go bananas that some of these workers didn't and they make more than you?

It's a valuable trade. That's the beginning and end of it.
No I’m gonna join the trade. Electrical seems under paid and is really hard to get into out here. You’re taking about making 80k + even on the non union side with plumbing. And honestly that’s what I’m seeing on the lower side of the commercial ads. Electrical pay is very hit or miss here and I’m talking about commercial/industrial.

Nassco pays their electricians too little. 25/$ hr ? You’re doing back breaking industrial work. I wouldn’t even get out of bed for that much as a electrician with a state journeyman’s license.

Not sure how you assumed I went to college , I despise gthe doctrine of going into debt for a worthless piece of paper only to enter a over saturated market.

I just find it odd plumbers make so much while every one is under paid out here. Normally plumbers and electricians make the same in most areas.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:11 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,560,930 times
San Diego's Plumbing is Terrible and old. Most homes built here in the 40,50,60,70 are not even code compliant anymore.

if you live in the North Park, Hill Crest, Sport Arena, Rolando area this is a weekly occurrence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1j6vunsliU

Old 07-28-2020, 11:50 AM

6,511 posts, read 7,547,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
But it could be "outsourced" to a TJ resident at least in SD.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:08 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,346,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
But it could be "outsourced" to a TJ resident at least in SD.
This is true.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:09 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,346,811 times
it would help if the OP decided where he wanted to live first, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego