Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2021, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,407 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family and I are relocating to the San Diego suburbs late summer once my husband’s company reopens relocation. Although we originally hoped to purchase a home, our unfamiliarity with the area, inability to make a home finding trip and the hot market is leading us to look for a year long rental.

We are looking for a 12 month single family home near the coast from La Jolla north to Encinitas. Using Trulia it doesn’t seem like homes come up too often. Curious if anyone has any guidance on sites or process to use to try and secure a home prior to relocating. Our realtor hasn’t been helpful so I appreciate any tips of advice anyone has!!!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 12:54 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,774 times
I think renting is smart the first year you get here. There's a lot of different areas in San Diego and you can take a year to discover different neighborhoods and options...people that buy here and have never lived here are definitely brave.

I am a landlord, before you ask, I don't have any vacancies. So this is my advice without any intent to benefit from it.

In a lot of different area of the US, real estate agents work rental properties as well as sales....that is not the case here in San Diego. I do not and most other landlords will not deal with a real estate agent. So there's really no incentive for your realtor to be "helpful". There are large companies that handle leasing and renting in San Diego for their owners and there are independent owners that handle their own properties.

I advertise on Craigslist, Zillow and Trulia. I hold open houses and usually collect applications for about a couple of weeks, depending on the time of the year and the traffic I'm getting. I pick the most qualified person based on their ability to pay the rent and meeting the requirements (no smoking..no pets..etc). Ive never had a property sit vacant more than a month unless I am rehabbing the place. You will need to have your ducks lined up in a row before you go searching, nobody is going to hold a property while you figure out your move and logistics, the market is too hot for that...unless your willing to pay the rent while your deciding your move.

I always insist on a year lease for the first year. After that the tenants can go month to month or negotiate another year's lease. I ask for a deposit almost the size of one month rent, sometimes more depending if they have an animal. If you start bargaining with me over the rent or deposit, I'll move on to the next qualified applicant. Again the market is too hot to mess around with bargain shoppers. If your looking for something in the luxury market you might find someone willing to bargain but anything under 4-7k a month is gonna be non negotiable in my opinion...(Im sure someone will contradict me, cuz thats what they do on this site).

Your not gonna get any traction till you get here in person. I'm sure your husband's relocation will include a house hunting trip and you'll have to get it done then. I don't and don't know of anybody that deals strictly over the phone or internet. I meet my prospective tenants in person...Ive been through the whole scam process and third party out of state checks.

I'm always looking at things so I know there are properties on the market in the areas you mentioned. Look at the sites I mentioned. I don't know what your budget is but your going to be looking at least 5k a month for something small and 10-20k for something bigger inn the areas you mentioned.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,407 times
Thanks for your response Echo42! Very helpful information. We are looking for homes under 7K a month, and wouldn't plan to negotiate them down. We are noticing rentals are getting posted and looking for immediate occupancy most often, so unfortunately it doesn't feel like there is too much we can do this far in advance although we'd be okay to start a lease prior to moving in.

Since we are moving with a child and likely before vaccinated, I don't think we will do a home finding trip first. We likely could take the company up on short term housing options for a few months but are trying to avoid multiple moves (short term -> 12 month lease -> home purchase). Helpful to know that some landlords might not want to move forward prior to us moving. Something we'll have to keep in mind.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Old 02-20-2021, 12:31 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry85 View Post
Hello!

My family and I are relocating to the San Diego suburbs late summer once my husband’s company reopens relocation. Although we originally hoped to purchase a home, our unfamiliarity with the area, inability to make a home finding trip and the hot market is leading us to look for a year long rental.

We are looking for a 12 month single family home near the coast from La Jolla north to Encinitas. Using Trulia it doesn’t seem like homes come up too often. Curious if anyone has any guidance on sites or process to use to try and secure a home prior to relocating. Our realtor hasn’t been helpful so I appreciate any tips of advice anyone has!!!

Thank you!!
Yes, the best site to use is this site. Since you want to be along the coast, from LaJolla to Encinitas, we are going to be your best source for intel. Things like train noise won't be expressed in RE sites. Or proximity to other "reduced quality of life" factors. (ie. dog park noise, kiddee park/pool noise, airport noise to name a few.)

So, since properties come and "go" in a flash, you may need a more "energetic" RE agent.

You gotta PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego