Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 09:39 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
That IS the message and the point. The whole message lately in general has been if you’re white, you’re racist. I’ve heard the term “colonizer” and everyone white, as 1ATP said, painted with a broad brush of being descended from slave owners and all that nonsense. It’s no different than saying if someone is black, they’re a BLM supporter and go out rioting and looting.

No one is racist based on the skin color alone. Even if someone was descended from slave owners, so what? Is there a slave owner gene? Is the slave owner buried deep inside just waiting to get out? You might as well incarcerate the children of murderers and rapists because you never know.

It’s getting ridiculous and needs to stop.
Mike, I understand the reaction you and so many have to this issue, as I pointed out. But the reaction is as broad brush as the accusations you are referring to. 1ATP’s link is really appropriate. Worth reading.

We, the public, are being played by two opposing forces in this. The new GOP (not traditional conservatives) are, unsurprisingly, seizing the issue opportunistically to try and leverage themselves back into power by framing it as extremist left “wokeness” in the manner you speak of above. Meanwhile the hard leftys are reacting to the right reaction by jeering.

Typical human s**t behavior all around.

But underneath the shouting is the factual, historical reality that the problem of 400 years of racially dominant policies and culture isn’t simply cured by a generation or two of [appropriate] legislation.

Back to 1ATP’s link: education is appropriate … but reverse indoctrination is not. Personally, given my jaded view of the limits of human nature and psychology, I don’t hold out any hope that this will be reasonably resolved … but rather become a more and more weaponized political control issue. Reactions in this thread already demonstrate the emotions triggered … which is evidence of how ripe the issue is for manipulation.

Frankly, this thread should be closed or moved to the flaming dumpster forum of P&OC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 09:55 AM

274 posts, read 318,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Mike, I understand the reaction you and so many have to this issue, as I pointed out. But the reaction is as broad brush as the accusations you are referring to. 1ATP’s link is really appropriate. Worth reading.

We, the public, are being played by two opposing forces in this. The new GOP (not traditional conservatives) are, unsurprisingly, seizing the issue opportunistically to try and leverage themselves back into power by framing it as extremist left “wokeness” in the manner you speak of above. Meanwhile the hard leftys are reacting to the right reaction by jeering.

But underneath the shouting is the factual, historical reality that the problem of 400 years of racially dominant policies and culture isn’t simply cured by a generation or two of [appropriate] legislation.

Back to 1ATP’s link: education is appropriate … but reverse indoctrination is not. Personally, given my jaded view of the limits of human nature and psychology, I don’t hold out any hope that this will be reasonably resolved … but rather become a more and more weaponized political control issue. Reactions in this thread already demonstrate the emotions triggered … which is evidence of how ripe the issue is for manipulation.

Frankly, this thread should be closed or moved to the flaming dumpster forum of P&OC.
If the thread is closed, then we should be allowed to have a new one to track the status of ethnic studies or whatever the new name is curriculum and how/when it is introduced the various school districts. It's an issue that gets confusing in a hurry and there isn't a good alternative source of the current state of implementation at county school districts.

Seeing how this has gone off the rails, I agree it's devolved into P&OC fodder. The fact remains though that I and likely many others either living here or considering moving here have a vested interest in knowing the details of what specific programs are being funded/implemented in the various school districts, and that is a local issue not reasonably covered in P&OC.

I don't think the answer should be that we can't even discuss the status of it. I don't know the right answer to keep it civil on here and avoid going off the rails, but the answer cannot be that we aren't allowed to even mention it.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:58 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
If the thread is closed, then we should be allowed to have a new one to track the status of ethnic studies or whatever the new name is curriculum and how/when it is introduced the various school districts. It's an issue that gets confusing in a hurry and there isn't a good alternative source of the current state of implementation at county school districts.

Seeing how this has gone off the rails, I agree it's devolved into P&OC fodder. The fact remains though that I and likely many others either living here or considering moving here have a vested interest in knowing the details of what specific programs are being funded/implemented in the various school districts, and that is a local issue not reasonably covered in P&OC.

I don't think the answer should be that we can't even discuss the status of it. I don't know the right answer to keep it civil on here and avoid going off the rails, but the answer cannot be that we aren't allowed to even mention it.
Oh, I agree with your sentiments and intent. I don’t agree that you will be able to realize your goal on social media such as this. Homo sapiens being homo sapiens in the age of internet “enlightenment”

Old 06-24-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Oh, I agree with your sentiments and intent. I don’t agree that you will be able to realize your goal on social media such as this. Homo sapiens being homo sapiens in the age of internet “enlightenment”
Yeah, it's a tall order, but I think I'd accept the chaff with the wheat to keep a running tally of how things progress rather than close the thread.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:08 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:

I totally agree we’re being played. You can’t trust politicians on either side and they’re pandering to the worst part of their base.

There is racism in America, but it’s not limited to white people, and I know you didn’t say that. I’ll read the link, but I’m more optimistic that racism isn’t near what it was decades ago.

However, it’s gone from desegregation to segregation again. Feels like we’re starting to go backwards.

Old 06-24-2021, 01:55 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
take it to the politics forum

Old 06-24-2021, 02:08 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
Seems pretty cut and dry that funding has been approved to implement these plans?

Ah, ok. But it's just a part of a bigger, normal, annual plan. The funding isn't specific to ethnic studies.

What's (sadly) not surprising is watching that clip and reading some of the quotes in the UT article where people are reacting to a program whose deeper details have yet to even be born. That's what I meant by it being hard to comment on something without more information.

Keeping with your intention for this thread though, here are the SDUSD drafts they're talking about. I don't personally want to read 300 pages of material, but you can always search "ethnic studies" to filter the pertinent parts.

Old 06-24-2021, 02:15 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times
I'm curious if the proposed courses will be along the lines of what is taught at the college/university level. I have nothing against cultural studies, in fact I enjoy them but when they turn into "WHITE MAN BAD" studies, that's where I draw the line.

Here are some examples of cultural studies from my local community college of choice.

https://www.sdmesa.edu/academics/sch...icano-studies/

https://www.sdmesa.edu/academics/sch...rican-studies/

https://www.sdmesa.edu/academics/sch...black-studies/

https://www.sdmesa.edu/academics/sch...rican-studies/

Old 06-24-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Ah, ok. But it's just a part of a bigger, normal, annual plan. The funding isn't specific to ethnic studies.

What's (sadly) not surprising is watching that clip and reading some of the quotes in the UT article where people are reacting to a program whose deeper details have yet to even be born. That's what I meant by it being hard to comment on something without more information.

Keeping with your intention for this thread though, here are the SDUSD drafts they're talking about. I don't personally want to read 300 pages of material, but you can always search "ethnic studies" to filter the pertinent parts.
Wow, thanks for that document. A real eye opener into all the programs and initiatives and money pumped into them!

When I open it up and start looking through it, it seems very clear that many many millions of dollars are going toward "anti-racism" staff training and education initiatives? I'm not sure how we're both reading it so differently, I read it that they are putting funding specifically toward it. One example is $1.7M toward:
"Implement Restorative, Anti-Bias & Anti-Racism Policies and Practices- by disrupting discriminatory grading practices". There are lots and lots of those items, tons of money allocated. I saw one small $ amount for a math program, nothing else I could find for anything STEM or otherwise.

Here's the upfront summary, quoted exactly from the link you posted:

"San Diego Unified School District plans to spend $1,651,268,565 for the 2021-22 school year. Of that amount, $528,367,127 is tied to actions/services in the LCAP and $1,122,901,438 is not included in the LCAP. The budgeted expenditures that are not included in the LCAP will be used for the following:
In light of the pandemic and current social climate highlighting the inequities many of our students face daily, San Diego Unified School District has approached the LCAP with an equity-based view and a commitment to being an Anti-Bias, Anti-Racism and Inclusive district. In an effort to highlight this extremely important work and align SDUSDs priorities many of the base services were removed from the LCAP for transparency. The LCAP does not include the required reserves, charter school funding, private school funding, or the required contracted staffing allocation amount, The LCAP also does not include certain site specific funding sources (for example, foundations, donations, etc.), Prop 39 expenditures, Supplemental Early Retirement Program and the STRS On-Behalf Pension Contribution."

Old 06-24-2021, 10:44 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Neat link Angry. Good solid stuff The point made about misuse of statistics made me chuckle in particular … a point I often emphasize myself.

Boy, Mutt’s return is a conundrum Miss my old lifestyle. But restructuring my late wife’s cabin and property up here so I can get tenants in and my kid can take over rental management … kind of a pressing project. To say nothing of me falling deeper and deeper into a new, local relationship. 16 straight months in the NW now … my body has to be ever vigilant to not allow moss to grow head to foot.

November is the heaviest rainfall up north hereabouts. Can’t imagine doing it again. Last year I near drowned walking my 8-mile-a-day habit in rainsuit and boots. Imagine I’ll escape around Halloween maybe?

Take care bud. Envy your need for sunscreen …
Just noticed this. I'm AI, I probably should use sunscreen but I've got the redskin anyway (can I say that today) so no tans for me, I always looked sunburned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego