Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 09:15 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,769,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
"We have an uptick in violent crime in general," said Mayor Todd Gloria, a Democrat. "And being homeless is not a crime, but being homeless is not a get-out-of-jail-free card either."A lot of that has to do with the fact that during the pandemic we had to enforce social distancing rules in our homeless shelters," he added. "That meant that literally hundreds of our beds have not been able to be occupied."

What a dumb statement and poor excuse.
Being homeless isn't a crime, sure. But we're not talking about the normal folks who are homeless and struggling. The excuse that shelters closed changed the dynamic is just that. The tendencies of the subset of homeless who are a menace to society, be it because of addiction or whatnot, aren't suddenly less of a menace when there are beds available in a shelter. I don't expect the mayor to single-handedly solve the issue but get a better speech writer or at least pretend to have a strategy.
Ugh, yeah. I'm so sick of people saying "Being homeless is not a crime". No it isn't, but loitering, camping in parks overnight, crapping on the sidewalk, peeing on the sidewalk, and shooting up drugs in public are crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 10:14 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,472,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Above post case in point. Bashing the homeless … not the mayor.

Ok, but *my* post was indisputably aimed at the mayor's comments and lack of energy in doing something about a problem.

What would the appropriate response about a victim of violent crime perpetrated by a homeless person be to you? Serious question; just looking for your thoughts. You said earlier that focusing on their homeless status is equivalent to focusing on their race but people can't change the latter while the former is often times a choice (e.g. the people who identify as "homefree", not homeless). Even where it's not completely a choice, being homeless is conditional and subject to change. Being black (your example) isn't.

I think it's perfectly fine to address crime by categories such as who the perpetrators are, and in this example, the perpetrator was homeless.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:21 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,472,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Ugh, yeah. I'm so sick of people saying "Being homeless is not a crime". No it isn't, but loitering, camping in parks overnight, crapping on the sidewalk, peeing on the sidewalk, and shooting up drugs in public are crimes.

The people spouting those refrains aren't doing anyone, any favors either. It's an enabling point of view. The way I see it, they're the polar opposite of those who want to pin everything on every homeless person out there, regardless of circumstances. There's plenty of people who aren't crazy, sidewalk pooping folks who live on the streets or their cars or wherever, and they don't want to be in that situation... especially families with kids. Those are the ones I feel for. The addicts and psychopaths, not so much. They should be getting help and yet the trend in big metro areas has shifted to live and let live instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego