Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 02:46 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times

Advertisements

So, there are apparently a LOT of people who welcome development in San Diego and want to see more apartments, repeal of single family zoning, want high-rises, all apparently with the belief that this will bring housing prices down. But if you look at all major cities, the only place where more building leads to cheaper housing are poor overpopulated places like Brazil, India etc. Wealthy cities like NYC, SF, Hong Kong, Tokyo just get more expensive as they build.

Never mind the track record of developers in San Diego, who gave us such urban gems as... Mission Valley (overdeveloped), Central San Diego (tore down single family homes and replaced them with urban blight) or Downtown SD (tourist attraction). I saw a photo today of a project in Talmadge where they are building essentially an apartment complex addition to a single-family home, without adding any water, parking, street repair etc.

I understand that a lot of people in San Diego's livelihoods are tied to real estate in some way, and builders are running the city government especially with the current mayor, but are these people really that out of touch? Or did they just wake up one day and realize that housing is expensive? Why would you support redevelopment of existing residential neighborhoods when there is already so much crappy commerical and office space that is either sitting vacant or in decay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 03:43 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,742,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
I understand that a lot of people in San Diego's livelihoods are tied to real estate in some way, and builders are running the city government especially with the current mayor, but are these people really that out of touch?
My guess it's this for most YIMBYs, they make money or have an in interest in development. I've never known anyone else to by a YIMBY, most are NIMBY.

Personally, I do want more development, but I don't want them to do any in my single family neighborhood. Why and where do I want more development? Here:

I live in Clairemont just around the corner from a shopping center. It has some nice things I can walk to, but it's nowhere near North Park type walkability. So I'd welcome some apartment complexes (upscale ones) near me, with the hopes that they bring in more restaurants, breweries, etc.

Unfortunately, most of what we're getting is low income housing, so little hope of getting any of that stuff.

Otherwise, I support redevelopment along the trolley/train line, downtown and areas that already look like Sh*t. I love how clean and nice Miami is because everything is new. I'd like to see more new stuff here so I don't have to look at eyesores all the time. Now of course, often they do it wrong and don't consider the important details, as you mentioned. Sure, I'd love for San Diego to be 1/4 the size it is, but we are not likely to go backward and I live in a neighborhood that needs some help in terms of nightlife.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:46 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
There is a 6 Plex with no parking going up on 49th Street in Talmadge and in the College area. They're called "granny towers." The big discussion is on ND.

Last edited by moved; 08-02-2021 at 06:10 PM..

Old 08-02-2021, 06:02 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,451,215 times
Part of the allure of an ADU within San Diego is that it skirts the parking requirement among other things. I thought there was a 600 or 1200 sqft size limit though, so how is it that these granny towers comply with that rule? Or am I wrong about that/is it something else?

Old 08-02-2021, 06:10 PM

There's lots of information on NextDoor, but you have to be the specific areas to read it.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:21 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
So, there are apparently a LOT of people who welcome development in San Diego and want to see more apartments, repeal of single family zoning, want high-rises, all apparently with the belief that this will bring housing prices down. But if you look at all major cities, the only place where more building leads to cheaper housing are poor overpopulated places like Brazil, India etc. Wealthy cities like NYC, SF, Hong Kong, Tokyo just get more expensive as they build.

Never mind the track record of developers in San Diego, who gave us such urban gems as... Mission Valley (overdeveloped), Central San Diego (tore down single family homes and replaced them with urban blight) or Downtown SD (tourist attraction). I saw a photo today of a project in Talmadge where they are building essentially an apartment complex addition to a single-family home, without adding any water, parking, street repair etc.

I understand that a lot of people in San Diego's livelihoods are tied to real estate in some way, and builders are running the city government especially with the current mayor, but are these people really that out of touch? Or did they just wake up one day and realize that housing is expensive? Why would you support redevelopment of existing residential neighborhoods when there is already so much crappy commerical and office space that is either sitting vacant or in decay?
They are just getting started with wrecking MV. That golf course they are letting turn brown is going to add hundreds if not thousands of cars. Getting in and out of Friars will be a nightmare.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:08 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,451,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
There's lots of information on NextDoor, but you have to be the specific areas to read it.

Found this. I assume it's what you're talking about. They're actually trying to get a moratorium on new ADUs though? That's a bit extreme.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Found this. I assume it's what you're talking about. They're actually trying to get a moratorium on new ADUs though? That's a bit extreme.
There's actually much more of it, plus a video, but I can't post it, because it's not on You Tube, only ND.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:39 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Can you imagine living next to someone who turned their sfh backyard into mini apartment complex with zero rules? And, no parking. God no.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Can you imagine living next to someone who turned their sfh backyard into mini apartment complex with zero rules? And, no parking. God no.
There's another one going up with 9 units in the backyard, and no parking at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego