Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 11:05 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if San Diego is a city of mostly transplants or predominately native. I'm also curious if natives are satisfied with how the city has changed over the last few decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 12:13 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Born here, raised here and never lived anywhere else.
It's hard to judge "satisfaction", but I suppose I'd be looking to leave if I weren't happy with the place. The county lost it's laid back vibe in the mid-70s, and by the end of the 80s was slowly getting that rat race feel to it. I'd say by the early to mid 90s, was the first time I ever really considered a change of pace but not seriously enough to act on it. By the 2000s, it no longer had the feel of an area I'd move to if I wasn't already established here. And in the last two decades, I'd say quality of life has declined most remarkably and entirely because of the rate of growth. Still no plans to ever leave... yet.

Old 10-03-2021, 12:46 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Not a local by any means but have been vacationing in SD/ Tijuana since 2001. My main complaint is pricing. Second concern is the building up of SD. It's going to be a huge **** show eventually .

Still better than being in NYC for now. Time will tell.

Old 10-03-2021, 01:01 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,179,299 times
FWIW, my social circles of people located in San Diego numbers probably in the low triple digits, and of all those people, I think I can count on less than two hands the ones who are native San Diegans.

Old 10-03-2021, 02:02 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
FWIW, my social circles of people located in San Diego numbers probably in the low triple digits, and of all those people, I think I can count on less than two hands the ones who are native San Diegans.
As a Midwesterner, this is always mindboggling to me when visiting Sun Belt cities. The majority of people in my home metro, Chicagoland, are natives. I was in Denver earlier this year and I'm not sure I interacted with a single person who was originally from Colorado. As a tourist and prospective transplant, when there are so few locals, it gives an area a weird culturally compromised, if not cultureless vibe. I haven't been to San Diego in more than 10 years and I'm wondering if the vibe is similar?

Also, are local hiking trails and beaches extremely crowded?

Old 10-03-2021, 04:36 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
As a tourist and prospective transplant, when there are so few locals, it gives an area a weird culturally compromised, if not cultureless vibe.

There's probably census data that would better answer the overall thread question.
Remember too that San Diego has a huge military presence so that alone lends itself to a steady flow of transplants and outsiders. Basic culture divisions here are drawn along economic lines, no different than anywhere else in the country.

Before the freeways connected every corner of the county, or in a lot of cases existed altogether, San Diego county had a more provincial feel. Not so much anymore. In the modern world, you shouldn't expect major cultural differences to exist between the regions within the greater SD area.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:17 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:
I'm wondering if San Diego is a city of mostly transplants or predominately native. I'm also curious if natives are satisfied with how the city has changed over the last few decades.
What is your criteria for defining "native?"

Old 10-03-2021, 05:24 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:

Also, are local hiking trails and beaches extremely crowded?
The super popular hiking trails can get fairly busy during their peak times, but there's still room. Or, go off-peak.

The beaches are rarely extremely crowded. Parking may be a challenge, but there's always lots of "sand space."

By the same token, it isn't "as it was 10 years ago."

Even more so, 50 years ago...

Old 10-03-2021, 05:31 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Quote:
if not cultureless vibe. I haven't been to San Diego in more than 10 years and I'm wondering if the vibe is similar?
It depends where you are IMO North Park and all those areas surrounding Balboa Park host the gentrification crowd who goes from NYC to LA to San Fran To Colorodo....you get the idea. To get a local vibe one must go North , South, or East of the Downtown and Central Area.

It really does lend to a boring vibe when all those people are huddled into one area. Personally I fell for SD because I liked the laid back border culture of the South Bay area. I hope it doesn't change but wishful thinking.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:35 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Definition is probably being born and or raised in SD.
I liked Air Coriel and he 1970s SD sports scene from the east coast if that counts as native.
I've lived in 6 or so places over my time and enjoyed them all and in balance traveling and or living in a few places is enriching fulfilling to learn, grow, be open minded which are attributes that the extreme right fascists component of our country do not have at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego