Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 08:23 AM

144 posts, read 128,514 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a house in La Mesa, where the Trolley (Orange and Green lines) is literally right next to the back property line. I assume the trolley will be slowed down because a busy intersection is directly ahead of it, about 3 houses away.

At first, I was like "can't be too bad noise wise", but then I found the schedule online and it's running past there anywhere around every 5-15 minutes (in one direction) during the day.

Our agent is going tomorrow to zoom us while looking at the property, and I was going to send them while the trains are going by...but if this is as bad as I think it's going to be, I don't want to waste their time.

Has anyone on here lived that close to the trolley and can speak to the noise level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 09:50 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
There's only 1-2 places where the trolley runs next to SFH. In the Severin / Amaya area it runs below the houses through a creekbed, that neighborhood is pretty quiet so you might notice it. But before that it runs behind a big apartment zone that is probably noisier than the trolley. In the Spring street area it runs along a main busy road and there is a freeway right there too, so not very quiet anyway. Personally would never buy a house with a train line in the backyard, they have those on the east coast and they are alway discounted appropriately.

Old 10-30-2021, 11:18 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
I Live in that Area almost to the end of Amaya St.
The Trolley overall is pretty quite. You will hear the occasional honk because some Jack"** is on the trolley tracks on Severn and Amaya but other than that it's quite.
Now what maybe concern for noise is, Friday football games at Grossmont High School in August, September, October, and November if they make the playoffs. It's only 5 homes games a year and games are usually over 8:45-9
I personally enjoy, I sit on my patio and have a beer while listening to the game.
Houses in that area are now selling for a small fortune, with at least a 50k renovations usually needed to bring it up to par. Lots of older people dying off so their kids are taking the money and running.

Old 10-30-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
There's only 1-2 places where the trolley runs next to SFH. In the Severin / Amaya area it runs below the houses through a creekbed, that neighborhood is pretty quiet so you might notice it. But before that it runs behind a big apartment zone that is probably noisier than the trolley. In the Spring street area it runs along a main busy road and there is a freeway right there too, so not very quiet anyway. Personally would never buy a house with a train line in the backyard, they have those on the east coast and they are alway discounted appropriately.
The Amaya/Severin area is what I'm looking at.

Old 10-30-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I Live in that Area almost to the end of Amaya St.
The Trolley overall is pretty quite. You will hear the occasional honk because some Jack"** is on the trolley tracks on Severn and Amaya but other than that it's quite.
Now what maybe concern for noise is, Friday football games at Grossmont High School in August, September, October, and November if they make the playoffs. It's only 5 homes games a year and games are usually over 8:45-9
I personally enjoy, I sit on my patio and have a beer while listening to the game.
Houses in that area are now selling for a small fortune, with at least a 50k renovations usually needed to bring it up to par. Lots of older people dying off so their kids are taking the money and running.
This house is close to Amaya/Severn.

Friday night football noise? Sign me up. We lived the high school football life with 3 boys. One of them got an offer from Michigan...but ended up getting an academic scholarship for med school through Pitt. Doctors shouldn't be playing football! One of his high school teammates is the center for NorthWestern.

Thanks for the insight.

Oh ..one more question, is there a ton of road noise from Amaya or Severin in any of those neighborhoods/streets that run parallel to the trolley tracks? We're currently in a HIGH road noise environment and we're trying to not replicate it if possible.

Old 10-30-2021, 05:38 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboTBagginz View Post
This house is close to Amaya/Severn.

Friday night football noise? Sign me up. We lived the high school football life with 3 boys. One of them got an offer from Michigan...but ended up getting an academic scholarship for med school through Pitt. Doctors shouldn't be playing football! One of his high school teammates is the center for NorthWestern.

Thanks for the insight.

Oh ..one more question, is there a ton of road noise from Amaya or Severin in any of those neighborhoods/streets that run parallel to the trolley tracks? We're currently in a HIGH road noise environment and we're trying to not replicate it if possible.
I like that area a lot (Loren, Urban, La Suvida Dr.) but we passed on it for a number of reasons mostly around raising kids there. It's going to be noisier than further north into La Mesa or Fletcher Hills. You are sort of in between a couple of main feeder roads, busy intersection, trolley crossing, freeway is close. The real noise is going to be from the freeway - depending on exactly where you are you could be hearing both 125 and 8 - go visit at night and see if you notice.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I like that area a lot (Loren, Urban, La Suvida Dr.) but we passed on it for a number of reasons mostly around raising kids there. It's going to be noisier than further north into La Mesa or Fletcher Hills. You are sort of in between a couple of main feeder roads, busy intersection, trolley crossing, freeway is close. The real noise is going to be from the freeway - depending on exactly where you are you could be hearing both 125 and 8 - go visit at night and see if you notice.
Thanks for your feedback. I did notice on Google Maps that there's a lot going on over there. We actually drove around that area the last time we did a scouting trip. I'd prefer Fletcher Hills, but I also realize we'll most likely swing and miss at a few houses before we land one. Our kids are all adults now and out of school, so it's not requirement for us BUT I am sensitive to good school districts as it relates to property values and surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 10-31-2021, 10:22 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:

Agree with all of this. I'd add Fletcher pkwy into the equation too, but I'm not really bothered by traffic noise/don't hear it. Way, way back we looked at stuff up on Fuerte and even that's a busy street. That whole area is a confluence of a lot of activity.

Old 10-31-2021, 12:40 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
One of the most important things to do before putting in an offer, and especially before releasing your contingencies in escrow, is to walk the neighborhood at all hours and talk to as many people as possible. Besides their feedback, the Trolley will go by multiple times. You’ll quickly know if it’s too loud.

Old 10-31-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
One of the most important things to do before putting in an offer, and especially before releasing your contingencies in escrow, is to walk the neighborhood at all hours and talk to as many people as possible. Besides their feedback, the Trolley will go by multiple times. You’ll quickly know if it’s too loud.
Were out of state so we want to narrow down our questions/concerns before flying out to look at it. But of course, I would check it out in person before offering it.

One of those tools was a zoom call today with the realtor, which has it's pros and cons (noise cancellation is a con). The house ticked just about every box, except for proximity to the train, major arteries and highways. It wasn't worth it for us since we're trying to get OUT of that situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego