Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 05:11 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,017,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
too much for me!
Well, 2 kids driving age and expensive hobbies don't help. Leaving to hunt Arizona in two weeks. Gonna be $$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 05:21 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well, 2 kids driving age and expensive hobbies don't help. Leaving to hunt Arizona in two weeks. Gonna be $$.
Don't fuel up, until you hit Yuma! (I'm sure you already know this.)
Going after javalina?

Old 12-23-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Don't fuel up, until you hit Yuma! (I'm sure you already know this.)
Going after javalina?
Yeppers, and bucks, Mt Lion and quail. Gonna be a show. Always fuel up in Yuma going and coming.

Old 12-25-2021, 12:56 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,572,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
The key to German car ownership is to lease them. I've leased 11 German cars in the last decade. A few unexpected trips to the dealer, mostly for my wife's Mercedes, but all repairs covered under warranty.
Leasing is good if you have a business. Your lease payment is tax deductible.

Also, large car manufacturers make cars all over the world. My new Tiguan was made in Germany. Most US-bound Tiguans are made in Mexico. This is my second Tiguan. Both were made in Germany. No non-scheduled maintenance costs in over 10 years.

The same goes for BMW's. Many BMWs are made in the USA. My current BMW i3 EV was made in Germany. All i3's are made in Germany.

My neighbor bought a new 2018 Toyota Tacoma. Most Toyotas are high-quality but his Taco truck seemed dated and a bit tin-canish. So I checked the VIN. It was built in Mexico. A year later, he traded for a new Honda Ridgeline. The Ridgeline a very solid, light duty, hi-tech truck. Made in Alabama.

In general, I like to buy my cars and trucks when they are made in the country of the corporate HQ.

In addition to leasing, a good way to buy a German car is CPO off-lease. CPOs are the cherry-picked off-lease cars and are generally low-mileage 3-4 years old. For a BMW to be sold as CPO, the car goes thru a multi-page checklist. If the dealer finds any problems, the car is not sold CPO. CPO BMWs come with a heavily discounted price and a 2 year factory bumper-to-bumper warranty. I bought a CPO BMW a few years ago. The dealer found a weak 12V battery after I bought it and BMW HQ paid the entire bill to replace it.

German cars are expensive to maintain but you can minimize that cost if you buy it the right way.

One last thing, my dad was in the Army in WWII. I have no idea what he did in WWII because he would never talk about it. But I do know he fought in both Europe and the Pacific theater. Back in the 80s, I took him car shopping. I was the buyer. We went to American dealers, German dealers, and Japanese dealers. After a day of shopping, I asked him "which car should I buy?" With no hesitation, he said "Skip the junky American brands and buy a German car. Those Japanese were dirty fighters. Thank God we nuked them." So I bought a small BMW.

Old 12-25-2021, 01:16 PM

5,737 posts, read 4,692,864 times
I run both my wife's and my daily-driver vehicles through my business to write them off. I pay for my toy cars personally.

My wife's MB GLS was made in Alabama, and my BMW was made in S Carolina. Porsches and Audis still built in Germany.

Old 12-25-2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I run both my wife's and my daily-driver vehicles through my business to write them off. I pay for my toy cars personally.

My wife's MB GLS was made in Alabama, and my BMW was made in S Carolina. Porsches and Audis still built in Germany.
My wife had a company car Cayenne. Fast for an SUV, useless off road.

Old 12-26-2021, 03:08 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,572,793 times
Quote:
I run both my wife's and my daily-driver vehicles through my business to write them off. I pay for my toy cars personally. My wife's MB GLS was made in Alabama, and my BMW was made in S Carolina. Porsches and Audis still built in Germany.
Both Audi and BMW now make some cars in Mexico. See link below.

I've been to the BMW factory in Spartanburg SC about 20 years ago. The only humans on the factory floor are robot repairmen, tour guides, and tourists.

My favorite factory is the Corvette plant in Bowling Green KY. I was there many years ago but I doubt it's changed much. The Corvette is pretty much hand-made. I really enjoyed shaking hands with the factory workers. The Corvette Museum is a real treat for Corvette enthusiasts.

https://www.intran.mx/mexico-manufac...for%20the%20Q5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: