Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 05:41 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
I liked the North Coast Vettes. Lots of military retirees like me. But NCV is a long drive from Mission Bay to Oceanside going north on the 5 at rush hour. Also most of NCV general events are in the same area. Some are on Camp Pendelton. Except for the distance, we'd still be members of NCV.

When were you members?

I was 2006-2015 (when I sold my car.)

I used to organize "drives" for lunch, to various locations, locally.
Our big fundraiser is "Vettes For Vets" on Veteran's Day. It's a CORVETTE ONLY show. Last Nov, they had about 300 cars. All Vettes. I'd post a few pics here, but I don't want to rile the powers-that-be here. In fact, I'm taking a risk even talking about this, instead of Seaport Village.

Oh, Seaport Village has a merry-go-'round that's old.

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 01-17-2022 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: added stuff, ya know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 09:04 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
+1

There is a Fisherman's Village in Marina Del Rey (MDR) in LA County....same concept: a fabricated replica of a New England fishing town. The LA version was built in the late 60's. I think San Diego's was late 70's. Not a fan of either.

Though San Diego's version occupies a more prominent and visible part of (downtown) San Diego. The LA version is tucked away in a corner of MDR.

Downtown San Diego has a lot to offer...but Seaport always struck me as a horribly tacky addition to an otherwise organic and interesting downtown.
I've been to Fisherman's Village and thought the same thing about it looking like Seaport Village. I know people like Seaport but it could and should be so much more, considering the location.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:59 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
[/b]
When were you members? I was 2006-2015 (when I sold my car.)
We were not members very long. The drive was too far for the meetings and other events.

We had a new '09 Jetstream Blue Corvette. You and I were members at the same time. We did a few events at Seaport Village: Plastic Fantastic, Mainstreet America, etc. Oceanside Parade too.

I and my wife are holding our dogs in this photo. "Vettes For Vets" was still a twinkle in JD's eye.

http://northcoastvettes.org/images/FreedomDay12/P01.jpg

Old 01-18-2022, 01:57 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
We were not members very long. The drive was too far for the meetings and other events.

We had a new '09 Jetstream Blue Corvette. You and I were members at the same time. We did a few events at Seaport Village: Plastic Fantastic, Mainstreet America, etc. Oceanside Parade too.

I and my wife are holding our dogs in this photo. "Vettes For Vets" was still a twinkle in JD's eye.

This is awesome! It's always great to put a pic to a forum member!

Old 01-19-2022, 12:33 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
This is awesome! It's always great to put a pic to a forum member!
Is putting a photo of myself against the TOS?

Old 01-20-2022, 08:49 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:

Huge Corvette Fan Nice!
i don't know if you ever get a chance to watch Mecum Auction but man Corvette Prices have gone through the roof.

Anyhow, I Ran down in Seaport Village this morning. Man it was Beautiful, and Cold

Old 03-29-2022, 09:27 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
I don't care how touristy Seaport Village is, I quite like this place & go every time I go to San Diego every 6 mos to a year. I love the scenery, the carefree vacation ambience, etc. I wish it was 5x's bigger, but I guess it will be bigger once they revitalize & it's called The Seaport.

Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco is another top favorite of mine! It could be bigger too.

I don't like that Fisherman's Village in Maria Del Rey nearly as much at all...too small.

There's also a Shoreline Village in Long Beach that isn't too bad, but Seaport Village is bettter. THey should revitalize this place too.

There's a similar Oceanside Harbour Village in Oceanside...not nearly as good either. They need to update this place too.

Back in the 80s, Ports 'O Call in San Pedro was hustling & bustling & they were supposed to revitalize that too, but I guess once COVID hit, it's on a halt.
https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...ainment-retail

Then, there's the Redondo Pier in Redondo Beach, which desperately needs serious revitalization too! I don't know how those gift shops stay in business over there, but many closed when COVID hit.

Never been to Ventura Harbor Village.

Are there any other waterfront shopping/dining areas along the coast that I'm missing? Especially in Southern CA?

Old 03-29-2022, 09:47 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,175,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
...Are there any other waterfront shopping/dining areas along the coast that I'm missing? Especially in Southern CA?
Well - it's tiny compared to most other places on your list, but there are great views of the San Diego skyline
from the Coronado Ferry Landing

Attached Thumbnails
Sea Port Village-20220313-coronado-ferry-landing.jpg  

Old 03-29-2022, 10:07 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
GuyInSD, thanks. Yes, I have been thwere too. It's nice, just tiny.

& since you seem to live in SD or know the area well, I have a question. I always go to the same places when I visit SD. Are there any other nice shopping areas, unique areas to stroll, etc. OTHER THAN these below?

- Seaport Villege
- Bazaar Del Mundo
- San Diego county fair
- Prado Park w/ all the museums
- Sea World
- SD Zoo
- SD Wild Animal Park
- Gaslamp Quarter area, which I don't really like...too many bars. I've driven through it several times
- Liberty Public Market - not much here to me, except comic book store & restaurants
- This other little waterfront area in Point Loma w/ Point Loma Seafoods & Pizza Nova are to name a few
- Fashion Valley Mall
- UTC Mall

Old 03-29-2022, 10:47 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,175,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
GuyInSD, thanks. Yes, I have been thwere too. It's nice, just tiny.

& since you seem to live in SD or know the area well, I have a question. I always go to the same places when I visit SD. Are there any other nice shopping areas, unique areas to stroll, etc. OTHER THAN these below?

- Seaport Villege
- Bazaar Del Mundo
- San Diego county fair
- Prado Park w/ all the museums
- Sea World
- SD Zoo
- SD Wild Animal Park
- Gaslamp Quarter area, which I don't really like...too many bars. I've driven through it several times
- Liberty Public Market - not much here to me, except comic book store & restaurants
- This other little waterfront area in Point Loma w/ Point Loma Seafoods & Pizza Nova are to name a few
- Fashion Valley Mall
- UTC Mall
Pretty good list; off the top of my head I'd add:
- La Jolla (particularly the coast walk and Coast Blvd - spectacular views the whole way, and the patio at Duke's is a great place to enjoy a meal with a view as well)

- Sunset Cliffs (more for the views - the nearest retail is Ocean Beach, which is a bit gritty and has a kind-of 1960s hippie vibe, although South Beach Bar & Grill has great fish tacos)

- Old Town (I assume that was an oversight, since you have Bazaar Del Mundo on your list)

- Coronado

- The Outlets in Carlsbad: also nearby are the Flower Fields (time your visit to when they're in bloom), Mt. Calavera (an extinct volcano - easy 1/2 mile hike to see), and the Museum of Making Music
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego