Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2022, 03:10 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,975,362 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I lived in SD (Rancho Bernardo, so barely SD) from 2016-2019. I'm planning on moving back in the next month or so. I want to live near downtown.

36, single, straight dude. Looking for a 1 bedroom apartment, up to $2,700 for rent.

Started off focusing at East Village but the more I think about it, I'm not as sure. I don't know much about East Village...I heard I should avoid going east of 10th? Maybe Little Italy too.

I'm looking more into Golden Hill, Bankers Hill, Hillcrest and North Park. I know Hillcrest and North Park well enough.

I'm aiming to expand my social life so I want to be near things to do. Not necessarily in walking distance (not sure if walking around East Village is safe with the homeless population) but easy enough with a quick Uber ride.

I also don't want to deal with super crap parking all the time. The complexes I've looked at include parking but I'm thinking about when I have friends come over as such. I'm really leaning towards Hillcrest now.

I was suppose to visit a bunch of apartments today BUT...I got covid. I'm fine but stuck at home. Hence this Saturday afternoon post.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 05:22 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
www.rentcafe.com

I dunno if $2700 is going to cover it, but you never know, I guess. (First/last/cleaning deposit, yada, yada, yada.)

Old 04-02-2022, 05:47 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,543,265 times
Rancho Bernardo is VERY MUCH San Diego only its not central or beach SD. It's the side of San Diego most visitors see when they are in town visiting relatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I'm aiming to expand my social life so I want to be near things to do. Not necessarily in walking distance (not sure if walking around East Village is safe with the homeless population) but easy enough with a quick Uber ride.
The homeless are not going to mess with you.... East Village may look and smell rough, but its a walk in the park compared to many US ghettos.

I will say, despite all the development in East Village, the homeless situation has either remained the same or gotten worse. It's just more highlighted now that the homeless/drug users are surrounded by high rises as opposed to warehouses that don't operate at night. Most people who moved in 5-7 years ago hoped that the homeless would get pushed out, but it hasn't happened yet.

Living near the Trolley line has its advantages. Truth be told, when I lived on 12th and Market I spent more time down in Tijuana (via the Trolley) than I did hanging out at expensive downtown SD bars/restaurants. I would definitely check out Little Italy or East Village, both of which have the Trolley rolling right thru, realizing that you will eventually get bored/grow out of the urban lifestyle as I did.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:37 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,903,717 times
South Park gets you within walking/scooter /easy transit distance to downtown with few of its urban challenges and most of its restaurant, pub bar/music /vibrant village quality if not quantity.

Definitely fewer quantity housing options here than more urban Hillcrest/East Village/North Park but the same types all definitely exist.

Old 04-02-2022, 10:04 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
For social scene I think Little Italy is your best bet. Or beaches. South Park et al, nicer, older, established, family type area. Find your people then you can move around, no one lives near their friends for too long.

Old 04-02-2022, 10:17 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,409,026 times
One problem is that the city is slowly squeezing out the ability friends driving over to visit friends. That's pretty much the situation with every neighborhood around Balboa Park now.

I second South Park and Little Italy. Though I have no idea of they fit your budget.

Old 04-03-2022, 11:02 AM

1,406 posts, read 1,180,335 times
One consideration:
If I were in your situation, I'd definitely want to be within walking distance of a trolley stop - that'd make getting aroound to other parts of San Diego much easier

Old 04-03-2022, 03:45 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,975,362 times
Thanks for the great tips. I'll pay attention to the trolley routes for sure. I didn't consider that at all.

I'm gonna look more into Little Italy. I think I was getting East Village and Little Italy confused with what I was looking for.

Any good sites regarding flight path noises? I've read alot about Little Italy and getting alot of noise. Also, How is Cortez Hill?

Old 04-03-2022, 09:45 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Thanks for the great tips. I'll pay attention to the trolley routes for sure. I didn't consider that at all.

I'm gonna look more into Little Italy. I think I was getting East Village and Little Italy confused with what I was looking for.

Any good sites regarding flight path noises? I've read alot about Little Italy and getting alot of noise. Also, How is Cortez Hill?
Point Loma

Old 04-03-2022, 10:40 PM

432 posts, read 285,525 times
Agree with South Park. Quiet, less homeless, you can walk the entire neighborhood and it's only a quick shot downtown or to North Park Hillcrest for action. So you get more peace and quiet than the other areas but still an easy shot to both. Golden Hill same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: