Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2022, 04:30 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,994 times

Advertisements

My brother is in the Navy stationed in San Diego so I am flying out in May for a week. I've been to CA over 20 times but never made it to San Diego so I am excited. Besides seeing my brother, what are do not miss things to see? I do have a bad back so I can't do anything super physically difficult. I was curious about the San Diego Zoo? I'm an animal advocate so if that Zoo is not an actual sanctuary, Then I don't want to give them my money. I guess, let me know you're suggestions. Appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 05:16 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
The zoo is ok. The Wild Animal Park (WAP) is affiliated w/ the zoo. (A great way to save $$, is to join the San Diego Zoological Society.) Do both, then make up your mind. I think you'll find the WAP to be a unique experience. Take the tram and other modes to get you across the savannah. Both of these DO have some walking, but there ae ways around it, if you make arrangements with the parks.
Since you are looking for animal sanctuary type stuff, there's a "Big cat place in Alpine." www.lionstigersandbears.org

You already missed HawkWatch for this year, so that's out. There's a thread here somewhere on it.

I can tell you from personal experience, that the WHOLE AIR TRAVEL INDUSTRY is in a state of turmoil. Canceled flights, when aircraft are loaded on the tarmac type stuff. Staffing issues, bigtime. (Dealing with a plane on the tarmac @ MCO right now. It should have been @ SAN @ 1437hrs.) It's just a mess. Good luck getting here. And good luck getting back home.

Old 04-03-2022, 08:39 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
Just remember that in all likelihood we will have "May Gray," overcast days with a heavy marine layer at the coast. Here, May is not the typical sunny spring month that most other states experience and enjoy, it can actually be quite chilly, so bring a jacket.

The whole Zoo issue is of course a matter of attitude. Some see them as outdated and morally repugnant prisons, while others (like me) think they can be a way for people, incl. Kids, to learn to love wild, endangered nature through encounters with the "ambassadors," the animals on display--provided the Zoos are not the torture chambers of undersized, stacked cages that some of us experienced as kids visiting the local Zoo. The San Diego Zoo is top of the line of the "ambassador" approach, with respect for the individual animals and their environment. But of course it is also a business, and the animals are confined. Yep. Still, without having had access to a Zoo in my home town when I was a kid I doubt that I'd have grown up to love wild nature the way I do now.

Old 04-03-2022, 08:43 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,593,605 times
Point Loma Light/Cabrillo. Great perspective of the bay.

https://www.nps.gov/cabr/learn/histo...l-monument.htm

Old 04-03-2022, 09:07 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
Balboa Park is a lovely visual experience in itself. The museums are excellent, and there is a good restaurant with a garden view.

La Jolla, "The Jewel," is worth a visit for the views along the water, and the shopping if you are so inclined. Some art galleries. Nice restaurants with an ocean view.

I have a particular fondness for our mountainous back country. If you have enough time for a day trip, go up to Alpine and check out the animal sanctuary, and then continue east on 8 to Highway 79 to Julian. Fun mountain town with apple pie specialties, and there is a wolf sanctuary that may be open. Drive back through Santa Ysabel, beautiful country with the hills all green. Go back to San Diego through Ramona, some nice antique stores.

Enjoy your stay!

Old 04-08-2022, 05:57 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
The zoo is ok. The Wild Animal Park (WAP) is affiliated w/ the zoo. (A great way to save $$, is to join the San Diego Zoological Society.) Do both, then make up your mind. I think you'll find the WAP to be a unique experience. Take the tram and other modes to get you across the savannah. Both of these DO have some walking, but there ae ways around it, if you make arrangements with the parks.
Since you are looking for animal sanctuary type stuff, there's a "Big cat place in Alpine." www.lionstigersandbears.org

You already missed HawkWatch for this year, so that's out. There's a thread here somewhere on it.

I can tell you from personal experience, that the WHOLE AIR TRAVEL INDUSTRY is in a state of turmoil. Canceled flights, when aircraft are loaded on the tarmac type stuff. Staffing issues, bigtime. (Dealing with a plane on the tarmac @ MCO right now. It should have been @ SAN @ 1437hrs.) It's just a mess. Good luck getting here. And good luck getting back home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Just remember that in all likelihood we will have "May Gray," overcast days with a heavy marine layer at the coast. Here, May is not the typical sunny spring month that most other states experience and enjoy, it can actually be quite chilly, so bring a jacket.

The whole Zoo issue is of course a matter of attitude. Some see them as outdated and morally repugnant prisons, while others (like me) think they can be a way for people, incl. Kids, to learn to love wild, endangered nature through encounters with the "ambassadors," the animals on display--provided the Zoos are not the torture chambers of undersized, stacked cages that some of us experienced as kids visiting the local Zoo. The San Diego Zoo is top of the line of the "ambassador" approach, with respect for the individual animals and their environment. But of course it is also a business, and the animals are confined. Yep. Still, without having had access to a Zoo in my home town when I was a kid I doubt that I'd have grown up to love wild nature the way I do now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Point Loma Light/Cabrillo. Great perspective of the bay.

https://www.nps.gov/cabr/learn/histo...l-monument.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Balboa Park is a lovely visual experience in itself. The museums are excellent, and there is a good restaurant with a garden view.

La Jolla, "The Jewel," is worth a visit for the views along the water, and the shopping if you are so inclined. Some art galleries. Nice restaurants with an ocean view.

I have a particular fondness for our mountainous back country. If you have enough time for a day trip, go up to Alpine and check out the animal sanctuary, and then continue east on 8 to Highway 79 to Julian. Fun mountain town with apple pie specialties, and there is a wolf sanctuary that may be open. Drive back through Santa Ysabel, beautiful country with the hills all green. Go back to San Diego through Ramona, some nice antique stores.

Enjoy your stay!

Thank you. Very helpful info from everyone. Appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego