Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:08 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,484,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The foreclosure boom won't last forever either. My guess is another 2-3 years and we are already a year into it. They will be bought by people with enough cash to buy them, mostly investors. Many will become rentals.
Investors like to get a return on investment. They're funny that way.

Homes won't become rentals until they pencil out as rentals. Just not gonna happen unless prices decrease dramatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Homes won't become rentals until they pencil out as rentals. Just not gonna happen unless prices decrease dramatically.
I tend to agree with you here. I am really hoping that the next round of buyers are for people who will live where they buy.

Downtown SD is the perfect example. Enough with second homes and rentals already, it's time for primary residents to fill up those condo units. Can you imagine what downtown will be like when all of those units are occupied by owners? It will be urban bliss

Old 05-27-2008, 09:30 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Investors like to get a return on investment. They're funny that way.

lol...That's what I was thinking!! lol

Old 05-30-2008, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 9,720 times
Ii'm a 37 yr old woman currently live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada (that's north of Montana for those of you geographically challenged Americans). I have owned my house for 11 years now. I have just listed the house for sale, even in this declining housing market - thanks to you guys down south and the mortgage mess you've created. Anyways, I should still be able to make a cool $250k on the sale and plan to take my money and buy a nice condo in San Diego. The average house price here in Calgary is over $400k. So what are all you people complaining about SD having such high home prices? You can easily pay over a million dollars for a gorgeous home here, but obviously we have 6 months of snow & cold and there's no ocean & beach nearby. I am totally stunned at some of the low house prices in California. You can't get much up here for under $250k. Hasn't anyone on this post heard that in real estate it's location, location, location?

As for your mortgage/lending practices, maybe you all should learn some lessons from your neighbors to the north. We are not allowed to take out mortgages with nothing down. Why is everyone so greedy to think that they should be allowed to own something if they can't afford it? Try living within your means people!!! And these adjustable rate mortgages: is everyone that took those out so stupid not to understand what they were entering into? I would never take out any loan knowing the interest rate was increasing in 3 yrs to 12%. The people that did that were stupid and deserve to lose what they invested. Why should everyone else or the gov't bail these idiots out? Those of us who put 25% down when purchasing a home deserve to live there. Dumb as**ed people who put nothing down or took out ARM's should rent until they understand the workings of a mortgage or have substantial down payments. Lenders were too greedy and overlooked the fact that many people would default on the mortgages. Both lenders and borrowers should be responsible for their actions as they have no one else to blame but themselves.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:24 PM

17 posts, read 55,393 times
Trader, thanks for adding perspective from an outside viewpoint. The sense of entitlement in this country is indeed remarkable. I'm hoping we can rebuild this mess and come out stronger and smarter.

The industry has been and always be cyclical. We'll see both ends of the spectrum again I'm sure.

That said, blaming isn't productive. Blaming is easy to do. Teaching and correcting yields a better foundation.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:14 PM

35 posts, read 81,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradergirl37 View Post
Hasn't anyone on this post heard that in real estate it's location, location, location?

Yes, but the issue is price gouging plain and simple. If the bank is willing to accept half the asking prics this means that there is an abundance of foolish invsetments on the buyers end who settled for less return.

As for your mortgage/lending practices, maybe you all should learn some lessons from your neighbors to the north. We are not allowed to take out mortgages with nothing down.

Actually there are many options available for first time buyers in Canada, possibly more options than here in the states. Not to mention your market is federally regulated. Actually most everything in Canada, not knocking it but the resentmet in the US is we believed we could do better and we didn't. Even if you disagree it is an honest answer. The real estate situation is currently a mess. Its bad for current home owners and bad for future home owners.

Why is everyone so greedy to think that they should be allowed to own something if they can't afford it? Try living within your means people!!! And these adjustable rate mortgages: is everyone that took those out so stupid not to understand what they were entering into? I would never take out any loan knowing the interest rate was increasing in 3 yrs to 12%.

I agree.

The people that did that were stupid and deserve to lose what they invested. Why should everyone else or the gov't bail these idiots out? Those of us who put 25% down when purchasing a home deserve to live there. Dumb as**ed people who put nothing down or took out ARM's should rent until they understand the workings of a mortgage or have substantial down payments. Lenders were too greedy and overlooked the fact that many people would default on the mortgages. Both lenders and borrowers should be responsible for their actions as they have no one else to blame but themselves.

Ultimately I agree, however if you factor weak economy, high cost of education who has 125k for a down payment on a nice 1st home? Or $125k/$600k, $75k/$300k, or $37.5/$150k home. It would be safe to say not many. "We the people, for the people, by the people" Some people call it an unwarrented sense of entitlement, others just call it freedom. We Americans are silly that way. The middle class isn't getting a fair shake, most of us simply believe that things can be better.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:25 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
It's easy to say something when your government is smart enough to federally regulate something. Ours simply chooses to throw money at the problem (increased FHA limits, cuts and interest breaks for people who had no business getting a home before, tax cuts on capital gains which helps the wealthy and not the moderate).

That, however, does not automatically give us a sense of entitlement. I don't think I'm entitled to anything but a FAIR shake. If car buying worked like this, people would riot in the streets. Hybrids were always high priced, but they're no cheaper in areas where the gas is $.50 cents cheaper. That's what the home market in San Diego amounts to - "since we have the jobs you want, we'll just ramp the price to whatever we want". That's not the spirit of home buying. The spirit initially was, build a better house and people would pay for it. I don't expect a new 5 bedroom 2500 sq ft house in a new community to cost $200,000. I do, however, expect a 2 bedroom 2 bath 30 year old home with essentially no backyard and a single car garage to be priced at around that REGARDLESS of what area the house happened to have been built in!

Oversimplifying it, maybe I am. I just think prices need to be based on what the house, community, and lot are offering rather than some arbitrary price tagged onto the house based on solely on where it got built.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:36 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Oversimplifying it, maybe I am. I just think prices need to be based on what the house, community, and lot are offering rather than some arbitrary price tagged onto the house based on solely on where it got built.
Take a look at home prices in Greenpoint, Brooklyn sometime. They are building brand new condos on top of a superfund site. When they drill for foundations, oil from a spill 40 years ago seeps out. These properties are selling for 500+/sf. and are selling like hotcakes. Google "newtown creek" for more info.

Location, location, location.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:32 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Real estate is about location. In San Diego the majority of your purchase price is the value of the land. In Kansas City, you are mostly paying for the structure. Therefore if you put a 200k structure on a lot in the KC area, the cost of the house is 225k. In San Diego when you buy a 200k structure your cost will be 600k out in the suburbs, 800k in a beach community, and 2m if it fronts the beach. If you want to only pay 225k, buy in El Centro.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:27 PM

35 posts, read 81,023 times
How much does one need to make to live comfortably in San Diego?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego