Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 10:34 AM

8,198 posts, read 8,423,480 times

Advertisements

My friends and I thought it may be fun in the heat of our Las Vegas summer to do a quick day trip on a day when Spirit Airlines has good fares (sometimes a round trip ticket is $48) to fly to SD from LV and take a nice urban walk which starts/ends at Park Boulevard Bridge in Balboa Park and then starts/ends at the Georgia Street bridge in Hillcrest. We’d arrive, have a coffee, do the 6 mile walk, have lunch and return home.

So I am wondering best way to use public transportation for such an event. Best way between airport and start/end places for this hike? Where to have a late lunch?

You suggestions most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 01:29 PM

6,900 posts, read 8,977,582 times
Lyft better than uber in SD
Free airport shuttle to Old Town I hear
Can start end walk in Old Town
There is a 7 bridges urban hike that courses through Balboa Park and Hillcrest
Bread and Cie bakery cafe, Snooze, Old Town for food
If from desert, why not coastal walk - Cabrillo NM, Torrey Pines SP

Old 05-09-2024, 01:38 PM

6,525 posts, read 7,600,690 times
Since your talking about urban walking. Just take the 992 bus from the airport terminal and get off at the City Cruise Terminal on Harbor Drive in front of Water Front Park.

From there you can walk up Grape Street toward Balboa Park in less than 30 mins possibly stopping along the way in Little Italy for a bite to eat or a coffee. Little Italy is along India Street. Be advised that Grape Street toward Balboa Park is a bit of a steep climb for a few blocks.

Once you've walked to and around Balboa Park, the Georgia Street bridge in Hillcrest is a quick bus ride up Park Blvd on the #7 bus.

From there, you'll probably be tired from all the walking, just take an Uber back to the airport.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:47 PM

4,550 posts, read 12,444,425 times
Or for the return to LV, from Hillcrest and Georgia Street Bridge, take the #10 bus (or several other routes) to Old Town Station and take the free Airport shuttle from Old Town to the Airport.

I use the #992 bus to and from the airport all the time. Though, if there are enough of you, Lyft/Uber might be just as cheap.

Old 05-11-2024, 12:06 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,141,543 times
Sounds like a massive waste of resources and energy to travel 600+ miles in one day to go take a walk and have lunch in another city for a few hours, for fun. So "first world".

Just 'cause ya can doesn't mean ya should.

Old 05-11-2024, 07:36 AM

8,198 posts, read 8,423,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Sounds like a massive waste of resources and energy to travel 600+ miles in one day to go take a walk and have lunch in another city for a few hours, for fun. So "first world".

Kind of a judgy comment, but I understand you may not have lived in a climate of 115+ temps for extended periods of time, perhaps with a disabled spouse who cannot travel. Although that’s not my situation, some of our group live the daily reality of a partner who is housebound. While our community offers wonderful amenities, summers can be long!

We take day trips to walk and hike pretty regularly. It’s only an hour flight from Las Vegas to San Diego and round trip on certain days (Spirit Airlines) can be under $60 We are all retired and several of us live with pets or disabled spouses. In the heat of the summer, such kinds of breaks are refreshing!

We drive about an hour to Mt. Charleston in the summer pretty regularly, where the temps are in the 70’s & 80’s to hike, but the restaurant up there burned down so it’s a picnic.

Old 05-11-2024, 03:58 PM

5,797 posts, read 4,765,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post

Worldklas isn't wasting any resources. The plane is flying to SD regardless whether he/she is on it or not.

Perhaps you should go complain to Taylor Swift... she spews more carbon into the atmosphere than anyone else.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:50 PM

10,425 posts, read 7,005,190 times
Instead of walking the concrete, how about some of San Diego's fantastic trails?

That is, unless you want to walk concrete.

If I were in a position, where I had to flee Vegas in the Summer, I'd stay away until it was reasonable temp wise. Figure mid- October or so.

Old 05-12-2024, 03:04 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,684,046 times
Sounds like a fun day trip as well as a good way to beat the heat. I say go for it. I recall flying down to Los Angeles (into Burbank Airport) from Sacramento on the 4th of July some 19 years ago. I took the bus from the airport into Downtown Los Angeles and walked around, saw the sights, had lunch before taking the bus back to the airport to catch my flight home.

Old 05-12-2024, 08:46 PM

50,549 posts, read 47,363,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Haters (like deranged fascist trumpers) gonna hate hate hate
Oh look a swifty, rather old to be one don't ya think? The old guy by himself at the concert people warn you about. Best to just listen at home before the cops suspect something.

My kids were into Taylor Swift when they were like 12.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 05-12-2024 at 08:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego