Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 10:40 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times

Advertisements

I wanted to post this in the thread where this was stated but it got locked, so I'll start the discussion here. Seems like there are plenty of people who stereotype San Diego as not being intellectual and the populace not having the levels of education that supposedly intelligent cities like Boston and Seattle have - - as seen in this quote:

Quote:
There just a "lower mentality" and education level with the general popualtion in SD that the other cities I mentioned. It has a very commercialized feel vs. the character of Boston, New England, Seattle, San Fran.
The fact is San Diego has the 9th highest percentage of its population with college degrees - - 40.4% of the population (a whole .5% of the population lower than Boston). While San Diego is ranked lower than Seattle (1st), San Fran (2nd), and Boston (8th) with college degree percentage, San Diego has the highest percentage of the population with doctorates in the country, is 2nd in the US with the most Nobel Laureates (behind Palo Alto), and leads the nation in NIH grant money received.

People who denigrate San Diego about its populace's "lower mentality" are ignorant and/or jealous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 11:48 PM

240 posts, read 889,210 times
Wow, I was just thinking those very same thoughts today. The whining about San Diego's supposed lack of intellectualism is tiring. I totally agree with you.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:13 AM

349 posts, read 1,545,070 times
I've wanted to comment on those posts as well and I'm glad you did. Because so many people want to live here I find many in San Diego are overeducated and underpaid. When I worked at UCSD for example, many that had their bachelors or masters would take bottom level Administrative Assistant I positions.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:37 AM

137 posts, read 542,967 times
San Diego doesn't have as many career opportunities as the Bay Area for sure. If it did, I wouldn't be moving up there.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:00 AM

490 posts, read 1,555,973 times
Thanx for that great info, TristramShandy We who live here know it's an educated city- - because we all like to go out & enjoy the weather, surf, run, hike, bike, kayak, instead of sitting in coffee shops and bookstores all day- - some people don't get it. . .

Old 07-02-2008, 01:12 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewzikguy View Post
Thanx for that great info, TristramShandy We who live here know it's an educated city- - because we all like to go out & enjoy the weather, surf, run, hike, bike, kayak, instead of sitting in coffee shops and bookstores all day- - some people don't get it. . .
couldn't have said it better myself. Just b/c people are smart and intelligent doesn't mean you have to try to show it off and act a certain way.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:58 PM

53 posts, read 382,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I wanted to post this in the thread where this was stated but it got locked, so I'll start the discussion here. Seems like there are plenty of people who stereotype San Diego as not being intellectual and the populace not having the levels of education that supposedly intelligent cities like Boston and Seattle have - - as seen in this quote:

The fact is San Diego has the 9th highest percentage of its population with college degrees - - 40.4% of the population (a whole .5% of the population lower than Boston). While San Diego is ranked lower than Seattle (1st), San Fran (2nd), and Boston (8th) with college degree percentage, San Diego has the highest percentage of the population with doctorates in the country, is 2nd in the US with the most Nobel Laureates (behind Palo Alto), and leads the nation in NIH grant money received.

People who denigrate San Diego about its populace's "lower mentality" are ignorant and/or jealous.
I agree. While it's true that San Diego has a lot of college-degree people, not many of which are just not using it to the fullest. We may have UCSD, USD, SDSU, CSU San Marcos, and lots of Community Colleges, but the job markets here stinks for highly educated folks. Many of the educated folks here all are about getting rich and making money due to the high cost of living. I know so many science/humanities folks switching to a business career because of lucrative opportunity -- it's about the money. Unless you come from a rich family affording to go to grad school (earning your Master or PhD) without debt, many folks who come from poor and middle-income, go to college for the purpose of acquiring skills to get a good-paying job - not necessarily for the pursuit of enlightenment.

Unfortunately, with so much focus on making money that it often promotes the stereotype of us being materialistic -- and those are the ones who stick out. After all, with all the money you're making (from having a good job/education), what could you do with it? Spend it at the mall, buy more beers, party, and showoff to get all the representation of SD, right? The real highly educated and intelligent folks - are the ones who are humid and need not to show off their educational status.

Last edited by homie01; 07-02-2008 at 05:15 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 10:53 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,713 times
Wow, I didn't know that. Great info Tristram! I would like to add that biotech industry is the 3rd biggest in the country, behind #1 SF and #2 Boston.

I think being close to Mexico, the beach lifestyle, and military might make people perceive San Diegans as unintelligent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego