Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:34 PM

327 posts, read 962,877 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a job in RB. However, we're faced with the difficult decision on balancing housing vs. commute. Of course, we love the RB location (who doesn't?), but unless your home budget starts at 500+, it's difficult to get a foothold into the housing market. I've been told that Fallbrook and Temecula are popular bedroom communities for people who work in the RB area, but I'm afraid the commute will stress me out (I have a tolerance of 45min). However, the way gas prices are going, I'd almost rather live close to work and ride my bike. Any estimates on how bad the commute will be? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 07:15 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,401 times
It really depends on what times you would be doing the driving. Let's put that aside for a minute, the actual drive will be about 40 minutes each way, I'm not including any traffic, that's just the standard drive between both areas.

Back to the times you'll be driving, I'll just assume your working a standard daytime job where your starting working at 8 or 9 in the morning. Leaving Temecula at that time your traffic on the freeway won't be all that bad until you reach Escondido, at that time in the morning on the 15 you'll hit traffic near the 78/15 merge, that's a given every weekday morning. It will ease up after Via Rancho Parkway, and then will start to pick up again near Rancho Bernardo, it's not all that bad though.

Coming back home you'll hit a bit more traffic, mainly coming out of Rancho Bernardo until you reach Escondido, then you are usually going to hit some again as you enter Riverside County.

All in all I'd say there are far worse commutes, if I had to rank this commute on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 6, and that might stretch it a bit only because a lot depends on the times you'll be leaving home and leaving work. You'll probably dislike the gas prices more than you will the actual traffic.

40 minutes is not a terrible commute though in this day and age, any traffic will extend that time though. Good luck to you.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:26 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
The commute will be harsh because of the bumper-to-bumper factor, but at least you are not going all the way to SD. Most of the traffic you will hit will be in Escondido. You will avoid the traffic in Mira Mesa which is good. If there is a wreck (which is often) you might see some severe delays. Northbound in the PM is particularly bad through RB and Escondido, it clears up once you get past Valley parkway.

If you are the type of person who gets stressed in heavy traffic, I would be careful. As was mentioned the wear on your car and tires, plus gas prices, make this an unattractive option these days.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:55 AM

365 posts, read 1,419,205 times
Well, for starters, what is your housing budget? You may be surprised that there are closer places that are still affordable. The gas you would use could add up, so give us an idea of housing, and then we all can give you an idea of where you should look

Old 07-07-2008, 05:33 PM

Thanks for your response. I agree that 40 minutes isn't that bad of a commute. I deal with that right now. However, if it's 40 minutes bumper to bumper, that's far worse physically and mentally to deal with than a continuous drive of the same amount of time. From what I'm understand, the commute isn't all that bad, which is good to hear. I would MUCH rather live in or near RB than commute, but it's a tough decision. We could buy a good 2,500 sq/ft new home in Temecula for 100K less than we can buy a 1,500 sq/ft newer townhome in RB. What kills us is the $400 HOA dues and mello roose.

Now the flip side is what will happen when gas hits $7/gal, or $10/gal? I'd much rather absorb that $400 HOA dues and ride my bike to work.

At any rate, our budget is $500K give or take the penalty of the land taxes, HOA, and mello roose. A quick look on the MLS shows that most of the inventory in this price range is made up of older, smaller homes, and newer townhomes. I saw a lot of nice homes around the 78 corridor, but that area just seems sketchy to me. The only way prices are good like that is if there's problems with the area in terms of poor schools, crime, etc...

I'm thinking that I'd rather sacrifice and buy a smaller fixeruper in RB than buy a shiny new home 40 miles away. I would think that RB would rebound better from the housing slump than something out in Riverside County and the commute time will be super short.

Would anyone agree with this?

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2008, 05:34 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsugrad03 View Post
I'm thinking that I'd rather sacrifice and buy a smaller fixeruper in RB than buy a shiny new home 40 miles away. I would think that RB would rebound better from the housing slump than something out in Riverside County and the commute time will be super short.

Would anyone agree with this?
Agree completely. In my opinion, gas prices will not go down and the places like Temecula are going to get hit hard.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:22 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,186 times
IMHO, this is the best option, certainly beats commuting from Temecula.

If you're set on buying, there are other options. RB has not yet fully experienced the effects of the housing slump. Check out Mira Mesa.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Agree completely. In my opinion, gas prices will not go down and the places like Temecula are going to get hit hard.
Definitely agree with this logic.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:58 PM

365 posts, read 1,419,205 times
There are some great homes in Escondido that even hover around the 3000 sqft and newer than 1990 built, some newer than 2000. It sure is a lot closer than Temecula I'll look in the morning at RB, RP, and Poway

Old 07-08-2008, 06:34 AM

786 posts, read 3,924,533 times
There are plenty of communities in RB that do not have mello roos. Westwood comes to mind. Also, lots of people rent homes in RB and then you avoid hoa, taxes and mello roos but still get the benefits of living close to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego