Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:01 PM

227 posts, read 608,479 times

Advertisements

My husband's company is located in San Diego, but he works for them here in Houston Texas. They want him to move to San Diego to work in the corporate office. This would be a promotion and a raise, but should he take it? A little background; We are both living in Texas against our choice. We were moved here when he got out of the army. We do not like Texas. The only reason we have remained in Texas is because the cost of living is so low, it has been good for our young family. It is too humid/hot, we do not share the same political leanings as those around us, we don't like the schools... I could go on. I am originally from the pacific northwest, and have extended family in the San Diego area. If we were to accept his companies offer and move to SD, where would we want to live? Where are the good schools at? We have two boys, ages 10 and 5. Is there anything we should insist on for the relocation package/salary? What should we know before we make a decision? Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:53 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,503 times
Good schools abound primarly in North County. Poway, Encinitas, Carlsbad are the best, but there are other pockets of good schools. As a former resident of Texas, I would do anything if I were you to get back here.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:56 PM

365 posts, read 1,419,706 times
It sounds like a no brainer. If you don't like Texas and your husband will be getting a promotion moving out here, the question I have for you is when instead of whether you should or shouldn't. Like JakeDog said, Poway school district is one of the best, and there are a lot of great schools in other districts. Where would his corporate office be? Besides housing, its not that expensive to live here if you don't live an expensive life.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:45 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,153,706 times
You will experience a sticker shock when you see SD house prices. Plan to spend around 2500/month on housing (rent+utilities for a 3br in an area with good schools). Also, compared with Texas, lot sizes are really small, 5000 sf is typical, you rarely see more than 8000 sf except in "luxury" million-dollar homes. Ocean much colder than in Houston, below 65 F most of the year.
Other than that, SD is a pretty good place to live compared to Houston.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:30 PM

Thanks! His company's office is located near where Escondito Fwy crosses Balboa Ave. so it's sorta north/central I guess. I expected the sticker shock, a home similar to the one we own currently in Houston and bought for 98k 3 years ago is going for around 300k with similar neighborhood, in san diego. Can anyone give me a ballpark rundown of the monthly cost of living for a family of four (Mom, Dad, two kids, 10 and 5 years old +dogs) I guess the only thing that's really keeping us from committing is a) his company hasn't told us how much he'd be making, and b)we don't want to be moving our son in the middle of the school year if we can help it. do they still do year-round schooling in san diego? how does that work

Old 07-20-2008, 12:33 PM

87 posts, read 411,371 times
Go to san diego man have fun affording it though.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:56 PM

378 posts, read 1,442,676 times
I'd rather live happy then comfortable.
SO if Texas is not that good to you then try Cali. I lived in both and Cali feels laid back like Texas but cleaner, and more expensive.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:51 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,126,663 times
We're actually doing the opposite - moving from Carlsbad/La Costa to Houston within the year. I've lived in SoCal for 15 yrs (Santa Barbara/Montecito and then 3 areas of San Diego for the last 5.5 yrs). Prior to that I did 8 yrs in San Antonio.

Houston would NOT be my first choice (the thought of the humidity depresses me and not seeing the ocean just minutes away is enough to make me cry). However, from a financial and family stand-point (we have immediately & extended family there), it's the right move for us. We're basically existing here and not getting ahead. While that may be fine for many, it's not working for us or for our future financial security. We by no means live beyond our means - we're pretty bare-bones these days and frankly, it's stressful. 10 yrs ago, you'd have never heard me say "I'd rather be happy than financially comfortable." When you have a family and a mortgage, your thinking can change drastically. We're trading the beautiful weather for a more secure future for our kids.

That all being said, I would definitely make sure to get into either the Poway or one of the NorCounty school districts as has already been mentioned. Gas here is about $1/gallon than in Houston. Our current house is valued at 700k. We will probably get into something similar in a comparable Houston suburb for around 200k (2400sf, 12k sf property, 4 bdrm, 2bath).

Good luck with your decision & potential move. SD is beautiful but it is expensive!

Old 07-21-2008, 01:38 PM

You could actually get something similar for less than that, TBH. For houston MLS go to Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation

Old 07-21-2008, 08:48 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,126,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingThinking View Post
You could actually get something similar for less than that, TBH. For houston MLS go to Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation
I've been on har all week. We're looking in MO City (Sienna Plantation, QV) as my brother is also looking there.

I was actually thinking of you this morning as I was driving to the bank. Going down our street I caught a glimpse of the ocean and hills and tropical foliage. And I got quite a bit of "stage fright" at the idea of moving to Houston.

I think that as long as you can be as financially comfortable here as you are in Houston (or better), go for it. The draw of the beautiful weather AND family is strong. Honestly? If we had family here and none in Houston, we wouldn't be moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego