Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 02:13 AM

2 posts, read 9,396 times

Advertisements

As I stated before I got my undergrad in Economics at Berkeley and will be attending the MBA program at San Diego State University. I made my mind up due to the vast network the SDSU MBA program harnesses as well as the excellent program.

when you compare UCSD vs. SDSU financially and economically you will see that the UC schools were situated with research which require a lot of biotech/and the like capital, this is big business on its own there by more money being allocated to these research universities by the government because they are profitable and its a secure investment on the states behalf. CSU's on the other hand are not as intensive on capital when it comes to research nor business studies, it doesn't take much money capital or intermediate inputs when it comes to getting a good overall understanding of the business world. Both UC's and CSU's however are both government subsidized, If they weren't, your tuition would be as much as Stanford's. Also another thing, UC's are very competitive in research with one another every little thing they do makes their research university more credible even when it comes to aesthetics of the buildings..UC's are often allocated much more money by the government than UC's just like how the Airforce is allocated much more than the Marine Corps, also not to mention UC's generate a great deal of revenues on its own due to its ability to market to the biotech/healthcare sector. Educational institutions, just like insurance companies are business's and if they can charge you more they will. UC's look nicer/more capital intensive=more tution

When the system was first being constructed UC's originally founded for research and doctorate degrees while CSU's were mainly for undergraduate studies and made to be the stepping stone before the UC system. In contemporary times, we see this does not hold ground. Now both UC's and CSU's offer credible degrees both all the way up the ranks to doctorate, the only matter of difference is WHAT degree it is you want.

I see red herrings, hasty generalizations and slippery slopes when I hear all this biased nonsense catering towards a CSU, but this is just what it is. NONSENSE. take it from someone who is unbiased and has done extensive research at both universities. The arrogance on behalf of UC kids needs to stop. I was once asked by a UCSD student why I chose to pursue a MBA at SDSU, I explained and he replied with "I would never think about going to a CSU, they are not that great education wise" and I asked "What is your major?" and he replied with "Art History" therefore I could have replied with "I would never major in Art History, they are not that great education wise" but I let him have his peace of mind.

You will also find that one of the main reasons UC's tend to party less is because the campus caters to people wanting to become physicians, think about it...You would not want your Doctor to be a former Frat boy who partied while he studied. Now if you look at a CSU, what do we think of when we say CSU...BUSINESS, now in my eyes, I could care less if a Hedge fund manager making billions was indeed a frat boy and partied, he's doesnt have someones life on the line and he obviously still knows what he's doing.

I myself was an assistant to many Hedge Fund controllers during my upper division internship opportunities, and I will tell you these people make billions and still know how to have fun. As for Physicians, Im not saying they dont know how to have fun but Id rather see them be spotless when it comes to thier field..and thats just one of the sacrifices they have to make when choosing such a field. Just like the sacrifices a service man makes when defending our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,048 times
Advice from a Ph.D./Postdoc with 15 years of industrial experience. First, you're limiting yourself with these two schools unless you've conducted the research that shows only these two have professors conducting the research you're interested in. I know both schools intimately. SDSU has nothing to offer its graduate students except a worthless piece of paper. The faculty are no names with no connections and will not open doors for you. UCSD is different. There are some people there with strong connections to industry. If your end goal is an MBA, I would be bold enough to say that you're wasting your time with the Ph.D. unless you want to be a CEO or VP someday. You could very easily get the MBA with an M.S. in chemistry. You will need the degree plus three (3) to five (5) years of work experience to get into a good school. Education without experience is meaningless for entry into a good MBA program. Go for Berkeley if you want to remain local to California.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:31 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,854,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toto View Post
Advice from a Ph.D./Postdoc with 15 years of industrial experience. First, you're limiting yourself with these two schools unless you've conducted the research that shows only these two have professors conducting the research you're interested in. I know both schools intimately. SDSU has nothing to offer its graduate students except a worthless piece of paper. The faculty are no names with no connections and will not open doors for you. UCSD is different. There are some people there with strong connections to industry. If your end goal is an MBA, I would be bold enough to say that you're wasting your time with the Ph.D. unless you want to be a CEO or VP someday. You could very easily get the MBA with an M.S. in chemistry. You will need the degree plus three (3) to five (5) years of work experience to get into a good school. Education without experience is meaningless for entry into a good MBA program. Go for Berkeley if you want to remain local to California.
What a lame uninformed post, there "doc."

Old 12-05-2010, 02:39 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toto View Post
Spoken like a true scientist.

CEO's with PHD's? What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego