Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:40 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
Do you know that it's going to be an indoor shopping area? There's too much outdoor shopping areas.
I heard that the Mission Bay / Clairemont Drive location may include a Trader Joe's and a Starbucks. Not sure what else? I'm guessing it will be an outdoors shopping center. But there is no construction happening yet. Presently there is just a roadside sign that refers to the location as Mission Bay Plaza.

There are hardly any indoor shopping centers in all of San Diego. The weather is nice all year round here, so there's no need for them to be indoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 08:05 PM

65 posts, read 281,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
there are density stats see above.
nah SD is not crowded.
but orangatans driiving cars will make you feel crowded.
clowns in hawaiian shirts will make you feel
crowded.
criminals attending public schools will make you feel crowded.
screaming kids in restaurants will make you feel crowded.
its kind of like being married
married men don't live longer
it just seems longer
I take you don't have a very favorable impression of San Diego? Are you looking to move somewhere else, or have you already done so?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Six cars parked in front of a 1400sf house will make it feel crowded
Houses with no garages and no driveways with wall-to-wall cars on the street will make it feel crowded
Yeah, this was something I was not used to. It definitely gave the place a crowded feel. I guess garages aren't worth the land value when a developer can put a tiny house there instead, huh?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Depends on what you mean by overcrowded. There is a decent amount of open space, parks, etc. so you can go on a hike/run and feel very much alone. That said, SoCAL is definitely a car culture and b/c of the weather people don't use their garages to store their cars as much as people do in other cities- they often use it for a gym, storage, etc., so the streets of very suburban areas can be full of cars even though the area itself isn't densely populated. Kind of strange if you are not used to it. But I find the abundance of outdoor open space makes it feel not crowded.
Are you originally from SoCal? I am not, and all the cars lined back to back on both sides of the street in the suburbs in front of houses was definitely something I was not used to. In a city like Philly or New York, I see it all the time and of course I don't think anything of it, but those cities are more urban. San Diego is not urban in the traditional sense, which is why I found all the street-parked cars a bit unusual.

Maybe if I grew up in SoCal, I wouldn't find it so unusual. Has anyone grown up in SoCal and moved to another place, such as on the East Coast, where the streets are wider and empty? If so, did you find the empty streets weird?

On the same note, are there any nice suburban areas in or around San Diego (specifically near the coast) that have streets with relatively few street-parked cars?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I heard that the Mission Bay / Clairemont Drive location may include a Trader Joe's and a Starbucks. Not sure what else? I'm guessing it will be an outdoors shopping center. But there is no construction happening yet. Presently there is just a roadside sign that refers to the location as Mission Bay Plaza.

There are hardly any indoor shopping centers in all of San Diego. The weather is nice all year round here, so there's no need for them to be indoors.
What is that name of the big open-air shopping center with five floors? It has a lot of restaurants that participate in the annual San Diego Food Tasting event (in which people can buy a food pass and present it at numerous restaurants in the Gaslamp Quarter to get appetizers)?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Police View Post
On the same note, are there any nice suburban areas in or around San Diego (specifically near the coast) that have streets with relatively few street-parked cars?
Anywhere in HOA-nazi land you'll see that... my neighbor lives in Scripps Ranch / Poway and says they have that there.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:50 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
Quote:
What is that name of the big open-air shopping center with five floors? It has a lot of restaurants that participate in the annual San Diego Food Tasting event (in which people can buy a food pass and present it at numerous restaurants in the Gaslamp Quarter to get appetizers)?
You probably are thinking of Horton Plaza in downtown. It's not far from the Gaslamp Quarter. It has around 4 - 5 floors, and is open-air.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
I take you don't have a very favorable impression of San Diego? Are you looking to move somewhere else, or have you already done so?
why would that concern you? are you really a police officer?

Old 08-22-2008, 10:22 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
why would that concern you? are you really a police officer?
lol

Old 08-22-2008, 10:58 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

Yes, the weather is really nice, but the sunshine can get to some people, like me. I actually like overcast evey few days. There are already too many outdoor stuffs, need some indoor at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego