Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:47 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
To me San Diego IS just a giant suburb city,, you just don't get that urban feel to it, everything just seems to clean and cookie cutter and like you are living in a "bubble", you wont find the excitment you find in LA area, it's way too quiet, and "laid back" it's not a bad place to raise a family, but I wouldn't wanna live in a place like OC or San Diego although they may be nice and "perfect" they just don't have a real feel to them, everything is just so perfect , houses look the same, the people are the same, everything is the same ! When I am in San diego or OC i feel like I am in suburbia, everything is very white bread, and dull. I'd rather live somewhere near LA such as southbay or close by, that way I dont have to be in the city, but I can drive anywhere and feel like I am in a real place, with real people, not cookie cutter, and in a perfect "bubble" world that was made up to feel like they are in an imaginary place. My opinion of course.
Yep, we are all just livin' in Poltergeist neighborhoods in suburban perfection with no urban (and sometimes gritty) downtown, no streetcar suburbs, no diverse neighborhoods and towns, no rural outposts and certainly no culture and nothing to do- all in white bread dullness. It's amazing that a city and county five times the size of OC has managed to have such perfectly planned, dull and innocuous existence for almost 250 years.

Pulleazzze!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 01:11 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
When I am in San diego or OC i feel like I am in suburbia, everything is very white bread, and dull.
You seriously get that feeling walking around downtown? I sure don't. On the block that I live on, there is a nice mix of old historic buildings and new modern ones. The garage has pickups to sports cars to stereotypical sedans.

I just don't see this part of the city as white bread at all.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:47 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
^ I would say the same about the neighborhoods around Balboa. Different architecture, wide range of people, lots of non chain restaurants, fairly dense living. Go a bit east a little into City Heights and you will see a variety of people from all over the world-if not for the sunshine and palm trees you could in Queens or other area with many new immigrants. San Diego being white bread is a ridiculous myth. I suppose the suburbs and outer areas of SD are more mainstream (as with EVERY american city I know of), but no one puts a gun to your head to hang out there.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
^^

Right. Just to cut to the chase, here is the shortlist to "sum up" San Diego:

Its about as obtuse as the following to sum up SD:
- 4S Ranch= SD is full of Asians
- Southeast SD= African American or Hispanic and the quintessential dump of SD
- All of Chula Vista= Hispanic
- Downtown= Yuppie white kids and homeless people
- HOA community in Carlsbad= White overachieving soccer moms hooked on Caramel Frappuccinos, SUVs and Costco runs
- East County= go to rodeos, sit on porches with rifles, its called dip not chewing tobacco
- North County Coastal= the "rich" people and life doesnt exist east of the 5
- Balboa Park area= yuppie families going against the grain by living 'urban' whilst living amongst crime ridden University Ave and El Cajon Bl

Anyone else care to add to our region of dull, white breadedness? This is a rough compilation of sentimental feelings that I have read over the years on this forum as well as comments in news articles.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 10-31-2011 at 02:25 PM..

Old 10-31-2011, 02:25 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
^^

Right. Just to cut to the chase, here is the shortlist to "sum up" San Diego:

Its about as obtuse as the following to sum up SD:
- 4S Ranch= SD is full of Asians
- Southeast SD= African American or Hispanic and the quintessential dump of SD
- All of Chula Vista= Hispanic
- HOA community in Carlsbad= White overachieving soccer moms hooked on Caramel Frappuccinos, SUVs and Costco runs
- East County= go to rodeos, sit on porches with rifles, its called dip not chewing tobacco
- North County Coastal= the "rich" people and life doesnt exist east of the 5
- Balboa Park area= yuppie families going against the grain by living 'urban' whilst living amongst crime ridden University Ave and El Cajon Bl

Anyone else care to add to our region of dull, white breadedness? This is a rough compilation of sentimental feelings that I have read over the years on this forum as well as comments in new articles.

Oh yeah and then people on this board who dont acknowledge or even understand where 99.9% of this crap comes from actually live their lives and enjoy it her in San Diego
Well you've gone a bridge too far when you include my Caramel Frappuccino in this list - HOW DARE YOU SIR!! I think I can safely say that driving my Infiniti SUV to COSTCO while juggling my low fat double shot grande caramel frappuccino is the height of sophistication and upper suburbia!
Oh Dear Sir, shame on you! I'm shocked, shocked I tell you to hear and read the mocking disdain!!

Old 10-31-2011, 02:39 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Well you've gone a bridge too far when you include my Caramel Frappuccino in this list - HOW DARE YOU SIR!! I think I can safely say that driving my Infiniti SUV to COSTCO while juggling my low fat double shot grande caramel frappuccino is the height of sophistication and upper suburbia!
Oh Dear Sir, shame on you! I'm shocked, shocked I tell you to hear and read the mocking disdain!!
Well apparently, according to my detailed list blanketing all of San Diego, you'll fit right back in when you get here
Because you know....even though other cities have Starbucks, SUVs and Costco's, they are just trying to emulate our SoCal lifestyle

Old 10-31-2011, 02:54 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
!

Old 10-31-2011, 03:41 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Carmel Valley housing stock is pretty uniform 1980s suburbia. Folks who live there are ethnically diverse but non-diverse in being of higher education. CV lacks main street feel, more gated communities, more strip malls spanning spectrum of high to low quality with chains and independents.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:56 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Ruh roh! I better move, because I don't think I'd like living outdoors!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:57 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benshaton View Post
Look here!

About San Diego - San Diego History, People, Events and News | KNSD San Diego CA - NBC 7/39 (http://www.nbcsandiego.com/aboutsandiego/index.html - broken link)
This link didn't work for me. Can you please doublecheck it and repost? I tried digging around on the NBC San Diego homepage, but couldn't find a link to anything discussing the history of San Diego. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego