Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2008, 03:10 PM

15 posts, read 26,988 times

Advertisements

This forum can provide lots of good insight into all kinds of questions regarding relocation to a new area. I am wondering if there are any San Diegans like myself considering a move to Northern California or the Denver area. It would be nice to have contact with locals in my age group (40s) who have had enough of San Diego (for whatever reason) and are exploring an alternative geographical area. I plan on moving sometime next year within driving distance to a decent university within a good community where the people are liberal-minded (as well as outside the student base for the most part), there are interest and discussion groups to join (beyond meetup.com) and outdoor activities where the weather is bearable. I am not religious, although I would be open to attending a good Unity Church or Religious Science. Politics interest me to some extent (especially now) and I might be open to becoming involved in a community project (it depends). My main concern is finding the kind of a place where I want to live for at least the foreseeable future. Affordability, good schools and safe neighborhoods goes without elaboration. The places I have looked at in NorCal are Arcata and Chico, both of which have good and not-so-good appeal. Pretty much ruled out the rest of Cal. I like the idea of a small town, but the reality will be quite different, I am sure, especially after residing in SD (10+ years) and Boston (born & raised) for so long. But I would do it with enough facts and at least a visit or two. Overall, I like Arcata over Chico, although there are some definite concerns about the isolation of the area, employment limitations, homeless & drug problems, city politics of nearby Eureka and more. One outstanding thing about Arcata that appeals to me (beyond liberalism) is the creative culture. I am not an artist, but I love being exposed to creative expression and I would be up to becoming more familiar and even involved with an artistic community.

Denver is a whole different ball game altogether and I really do not know enough about all the ins and outs of becoming a new resident (other than the obvious of it being a big sports town, high mix of social, political, religious base, more affordable, relatively low crime stats, seasonal weather patterns). I happened to see the mayor and governor on PBS the other night interviewed by Charlie Rose and Travis Smiley and I must say I was impressed, but the information exchange was strictly politically based (of course). What about the universities (ruling out Boulder, Fort Collins, Greely, Pueblo) - I guess that leaves Downtown and Colorado Springs unless I want to live in the boonies (not enough info to rule that out altogether, though). Denver obviously has more employment opportunities, big city lifestyle and everything else that goes with it. But what would it really be like to live in Denver area communities? I read a lot of people are moving there, but how many are moving out and why? What is good and not-so-good about the changing Denver communities near the universities over the last 10 years or so? People seem to be pretty satisfied with their move there, although I would be interested in learning more beyond surface stuff. I want to move some place where it is relatively easy to become involved with others on a social level - that is the main problem I have with SD.

Anybody feel like discussing these areas, exchanging information gathered so far about what you are seeking and wish to avoid in your new destination? If you happen to be in San Diego, we might find enough in common to actually get together down the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 09:49 PM

179 posts, read 459,773 times
Default Former San Diegan/Carlsbad Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Rose View Post
This forum can provide lots of good insight into all kinds of questions regarding relocation to a new area. I am wondering if there are any San Diegans like myself considering a move to Northern California or the Denver area. It would be nice to have contact with locals in my age group (40s) who have had enough of San Diego (for whatever reason) and are exploring an alternative geographical area. I plan on moving sometime next year within driving distance to a decent university within a good community where the people are liberal-minded (as well as outside the student base for the most part), there are interest and discussion groups to join (beyond meetup.com) and outdoor activities where the weather is bearable. I am not religious, although I would be open to attending a good Unity Church or Religious Science. Politics interest me to some extent (especially now) and I might be open to becoming involved in a community project (it depends). My main concern is finding the kind of a place where I want to live for at least the foreseeable future. Affordability, good schools and safe neighborhoods goes without elaboration. The places I have looked at in NorCal are Arcata and Chico, both of which have good and not-so-good appeal. Pretty much ruled out the rest of Cal. I like the idea of a small town, but the reality will be quite different, I am sure, especially after residing in SD (10+ years) and Boston (born & raised) for so long. But I would do it with enough facts and at least a visit or two. Overall, I like Arcata over Chico, although there are some definite concerns about the isolation of the area, employment limitations, homeless & drug problems, city politics of nearby Eureka and more. One outstanding thing about Arcata that appeals to me (beyond liberalism) is the creative culture. I am not an artist, but I love being exposed to creative expression and I would be up to becoming more familiar and even involved with an artistic community.

Denver is a whole different ball game altogether and I really do not know enough about all the ins and outs of becoming a new resident (other than the obvious of it being a big sports town, high mix of social, political, religious base, more affordable, relatively low crime stats, seasonal weather patterns). I happened to see the mayor and governor on PBS the other night interviewed by Charlie Rose and Travis Smiley and I must say I was impressed, but the information exchange was strictly politically based (of course). What about the universities (ruling out Boulder, Fort Collins, Greely, Pueblo) - I guess that leaves Downtown and Colorado Springs unless I want to live in the boonies (not enough info to rule that out altogether, though). Denver obviously has more employment opportunities, big city lifestyle and everything else that goes with it. But what would it really be like to live in Denver area communities? I read a lot of people are moving there, but how many are moving out and why? What is good and not-so-good about the changing Denver communities near the universities over the last 10 years or so? People seem to be pretty satisfied with their move there, although I would be interested in learning more beyond surface stuff. I want to move some place where it is relatively easy to become involved with others on a social level - that is the main problem I have with SD.

Anybody feel like discussing these areas, exchanging information gathered so far about what you are seeking and wish to avoid in your new destination? If you happen to be in San Diego, we might find enough in common to actually get together down the line.
Hello RCRose, I tried to highlight what you wrote about the prospect of living in Denver but the whole thing attached; sorry about that.

Let me tell you a bit about the Denver area as someone who lived in San Diego (Scripps Ranch) for four years and Carlsbad for six years. First, I will tell you that I deeply, deeply miss SoCal. I live in Aurora now, which is Denver adjacent, and I HATE IT. There are parts of Denver that are quite nice in my view, Cherry Creek, Washington Park, and parts of downtown Denver are very cool. There is another neighborhood I'm thinking of but I'll have to look it up; very nice craftsman homes decorate the streets...I'll find it. But Aurora, to me, is a wasteland. And Denver in general will take some getting used to for you in that life is much slower here. The highway/freeway system is frazzling to use; coming from SD where the 5, 15, 805, 163, 78, 76, and 52 are intuitive to use and very clearly marked, I have had enormous difficulty navigating around here even with my GPS. Now my husband, for whom I moved here, has always found Denver and the surrounding areas easy to navigate, so maybe it's just me, but I have to say I've lived in LA and never had any trouble getting around there.

My husband just accepted a position in DC so we're thankfully moving next month, but do yourself a favor and visit here several times before making the decision. My husband owned our home several years before we met; that's how I ended up in Aurora. It sounds like you might enjoy Washington Park, it's pricey but worth it in my view.

And buy a good pair of sunglasses if you don't already have one; the light is extremely white and intense here so you'll need them. On the upside, the weather this year has been moderate by most measures. If you like being outdoors this is a great place for you. And if you live in the better parts of Denver you won't want for anything except Trader Joe's, but there is Whole Foods. The shopping options are excellent so whether you want to run to Target or buy an $800 pair of cashmere "jogging pants", you'll find what you are looking for.

I wish you well in your decision. If I had my druthers, I'd still be in Carlsbad, less than a mile from the beach, riding my bike on coast highway, eating dinner once a week at Lotus Thai Bistro and having my hair done by Dennise at Kiki's Hair Studio...but alas, I am eastward bound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego