Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:41 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times

Advertisements

It's true.This area sucks when it comes to sports.I'm very ashamed to say it and I was born in raised here.Tells you something doesn't it?I think we should have been the worse city in the Nation.San Diego is really sad when it comes to sports.I laugh at it myself.

San Diego One Of Nation's Worst Sports Towns? - [domain blocked due to spam]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 05:06 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
I don't care about these studies, I'm a San Diego sports fan and always will be. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks, I stand by our teams win or lose.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:11 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
That study looks at incomes, ticket prices, and winning %'s and doesn't have much to do with our lack of enthusiasm. San Diego's high ticket prices and average income has more to do with that study than anything else.

BUT somehow we were rated as being in the Top 10 Most Loyal Baseball fans by another one of Forbes.com "studies".

In Depth: America's Most Loyal Baseball Fans - Forbes.com

Old 08-26-2008, 10:18 PM

858 posts, read 2,235,649 times
Didn't we lose the Rockets and Clippers, which take into account how bad SD is with sports?

Old 08-26-2008, 11:53 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
And when were people laughing at San Diego in the first place?

You do realize that lists like this have no credibility, right? It's right up there with Fittest and Fattest Cities, Best Cities for Dating...Sleeping.... etc.

What's more impressive are the native SD athletes that are household names in respective sports. Just a few from the top of my head:

Baseball - Ted Williams, Mark Prior, Barry Zito

Football- 4 Heisman Trophy Winners (Marcus Allen, Ricky Williams, Reggie Bush, Raashan Salaam)

Diving - Greg Louganis

Golf - Billy Casper, Phil Mickelson

Skateboarding - Tony Hawk

Women's Soccer - Julie Foudy, Shannon Macmillan

Snowboarding - Olympian Shaun White aka Flying Tomato

Basketball - Bill Walton, Luke Walton

Women's Track - Olympians Gail Devers, Monique Henderson

Nascar Racing - Jimmie Johnson

Americas' Cup - Dennis Connor

Point is, we're too busy participating in sports instead of just watching in the stands or on TV

Old 08-26-2008, 11:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
yes i laugh. but people come to SD in winter from chicago. when its time to go back they do not laugh.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:35 PM

240 posts, read 888,888 times
Well, compared to L.A. and San Francisco, I think San Diego is a big sports town, but remember that not everyone is into sports, so to see that a city is labeled a "bad" sports town is actually a relief for some.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:51 AM

15 posts, read 45,947 times
I am from NJ originally and I have to say the sports fans here in San Diego overall are horrible. Now there are a few die hard fans who actually care about the Chargers/Padres and know what is going on, but overall most people don't care or know. I worked on gamedays are both the Paders/Chargers for the past two seasons and most fans go to the games to be seen there, or as something to do before going out downtown. They don't pay attention to what's going on, they don't clap or cheer for anything unless the scoreboard tells them to do it. Overall, they are pretty indifferent when it comes to sports. Everyone readily jumps off the bandwagon when the team does bad, and jumps right back on when things turn around. It's amazing how many Charger lightning bolts are on the back of cars and flags hanging from peoples houses when the season starts. Last year, when they started 1-3, all those things disappeared, everyone was walking around saying the Chargers suck and they're not a big fan and stuff like that. Then when the Chargers turned it around and made the playoffs, all those lightning bolts and flags reappeared and everyone acts as if they care. It's just something to do here and no one really cares about their teams.

Now I guess being from the East Coast, it's different. We don't have as many things to do outdoors to keep us distracted so we really care about our teams and support and follow them no matter what their record is. We actually boo our teams if they're bad, but we're still there at least.

I think overall San Diego fans are bad fans, but I guess that's cause there's so many other things going on here in San Diego that no one really cares about anything that doesn't involve them.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:57 AM

470 posts, read 2,095,520 times
Be careful what you wish for.

A lot of these "great sports towns" are places where life is so intolerable, they latch on to their teams as their primary passion (yes Ohio I'm looking in your direction. Go Buckeyes!).

Case in point. Watched some NFL at a San Diego sports bar amid a pack of fervent Steelers fans.

Me: "You love your Steelers so much, that's cool. How come you're not in Pittsburgh to follow them?"

Him: "You ever been to Pittsburgh?"

Old 08-28-2008, 12:14 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,554 times
You're right. Many in San Diego are not sports fans and don't care. Personally I feel so fortunate that I don't have one of those husbands that sit on the couch all weekend watching sports on tv. Instead he is out surfing w/my kids at the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego