Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:00 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,467 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

Silly question/comment. I live in Del Mar and just moved here a week ago. We live on a relatively busy street so we often hear cars and such going past our house. This morning at 6AM, I heard a car pull to a stop in front of my house and a few minutes later heard a group of people talking (it felt as if they were inside the house--it was actually a bit nerve wracking at first). I got up and went to my bedroom window and there was a large white truck parked across from our house (we live on a single loaded street) and there were five men standing outside of it talking. This went on for about 25 minutes and ended up waking all four of my small children up. I stood and watched as the men walked away and began putting door hangers on my door and the surrounding doors. I was so infuriated. I know I sound like a baby but...is there a rule or something about dropping day laborers off like that? And what about some common courtesy???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 04:07 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,929 times
Seriously... if that's the worst thing that happens in your neighborhood....

And be happy that you don't have a job like that.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:12 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
Hi all:

Silly question/comment. I live in Del Mar and just moved here a week ago. We live on a relatively busy street so we often hear cars and such going past our house. This morning at 6AM, I heard a car pull to a stop in front of my house and a few minutes later heard a group of people talking (it felt as if they were inside the house--it was actually a bit nerve wracking at first). I got up and went to my bedroom window and there was a large white truck parked across from our house (we live on a single loaded street) and there were five men standing outside of it talking. This went on for about 25 minutes and ended up waking all four of my small children up. I stood and watched as the men walked away and began putting door hangers on my door and the surrounding doors. I was so infuriated. I know I sound like a baby but...is there a rule or something about dropping day laborers off like that? And what about some common courtesy???
Do a search for your local noise and loitering ordinaces if you want, but are you really going to call the police on manual laborers getting ready to work in your neighborhood during daylight hours?

Maybe you could try greeting them, binging them sancks or something, then politely asking them to keep it as quiet as possible.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:06 PM

258 posts, read 1,650,957 times
If they are not commiting any crimes no need to call the cops.

But as the other poster said maybe go and talk to them to be more quiet.

This way they will respect your need for peace and quiet. If they are smart and don't want to rock the boat they will comply.

If you give them fair warning and they still don't comply then maybe a nusiance complaint can be filed with the police or sherrif's dept.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,576,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Seriously... if that's the worst thing that happens in your neighborhood....

And be happy that you don't have a job like that.
Yeah.That is nothing.What's the big deal?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:32 PM

61 posts, read 173,898 times
6 am is a little early. DH does contractor jobs and almost all companies including his start at 7 am. Lots.... looking for daylight hours to work.

Whenever anyone experiences this, it is usually short term, doing a job (like nieghbor reno, etc), then they are gone.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:05 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,467 times
Before you jump to conclusions, please understand that I am alone with four little kids and it's still dark outside (if my husband were home, he probably would have asked them to lower their voices). I hear men talking (and it feels as if they are in my house) so I'm a little scared. As the parent of four small children, wouldn't you be upset that your children were awakened over an hour before they normally are? Not to mention that my 1 & 2 yos were pretty miserable by mid-afternoon. I never once mentioned calling the police--why would you ever bother them for something trivial? Comments such as "What's the big deal?" bring the original question back--is this the norm here? I've never lived in an area where workers are dropped in front of someone's house like that. Re-reading this post, I'm annoyed because I feel like I have to defend my question when in reality, it's just a simple question about the area--I've already figured out that I can't ask the neighbors these ?s because they won't even respond to a hello. It's a nice intro to a new area where the norm (according to these boards) is that people are "friendly."

Old 09-03-2008, 10:57 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
Before you jump to conclusions, please understand that I am alone with four little kids and it's still dark outside (if my husband were home, he probably would have asked them to lower their voices). I hear men talking (and it feels as if they are in my house) so I'm a little scared. As the parent of four small children, wouldn't you be upset that your children were awakened over an hour before they normally are? Not to mention that my 1 & 2 yos were pretty miserable by mid-afternoon. I never once mentioned calling the police--why would you ever bother them for something trivial? Comments such as "What's the big deal?" bring the original question back--is this the norm here? I've never lived in an area where workers are dropped in front of someone's house like that. Re-reading this post, I'm annoyed because I feel like I have to defend my question when in reality, it's just a simple question about the area--I've already figured out that I can't ask the neighbors these ?s because they won't even respond to a hello. It's a nice intro to a new area where the norm (according to these boards) is that people are "friendly."
I don't think there is anything wrong with your post at all. Being a father of two small children I understand exactly what you mean. I would be pissed if a group of people were making enough noise at that hour in the morning to wake me up and my kids as well , common curdisity needs to come into play in these situations.

To answer your original question when I lived in Chula Vista (Eastlake Area, left a month ago, can't wait to come back !!!! ) I never experience this problem. But I did have a BIG NO SOLICITING sign on my front door area as well.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:02 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,467 times
How do you know they were day laborers? If it appeared as if they were putting door hangers maybe they were advertising some sort of company. There are a lot of those people around here.. But its quite odd that they would appear at 6 AM.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:09 PM

61 posts, read 173,898 times
I understand being alone or not! Not OK feeling. I would be mad, 6 is too early....
Kids are hard work on top of that.

Just hoping it was the only day and not every day, otherwise, you would need to speak to them and complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego