Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 04:37 PM

138 posts, read 544,860 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Our backyard in Rancho Penasquitos is very small. We have 3 large dogs that have ruined our grass...absolutely RUINED in with their urine. We have replanted the entire thing (about 500 square feet) twice. We just pulled out the lawn today and are going to put in the synthetic grass. The good kind...not the kind which is cheap and has lots of nylon in it. But this grass is so expensive. It looks real, but the price of it made me do a double take. We interviewed a lot of companies, and found one company to be very honest, saying that we could easily put in the synthetic lawn ourselves for HALF the price. So that is what we are going to do. We were going to go with rock, but picking up poop with rock is a nightmare. Have any of you had experience with synthetic grass here, or with planting it yourself? I think it is going to become very popular here due to the water shortage and cost of water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 08:47 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,713 times
No experience here at all, but our HOA committee has allowed us putting synthetic grass in the backyard only. I have a distant friend who has it and he is very happy with it.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
No experience here at all, but our HOA committee has allowed us putting synthetic grass in the backyard only. I have a distant friend who has it and he is very happy with it.

I could see why the HOA only allows it in backyards. Some types can be pretty horrible. Our neighbors had it in my old neighborhood, and it was downright awful. They had it in their front yard, and you could see the seams. We have been looking at grass that looks absolutely real, but it is absurdly expensive. It is nice to know that you know someone who is happy with it.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:10 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
A neighbor around the corner has synthetic grass in the front yard and it wasn't until recently that I figured it out. It doesn't look bad from afar, but up close you can tell.

I prefer xeriscaping, but I guess you are right about having to pick up poop in gravel and rocks.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:47 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
The good stuff is very expensive. For a backyard xeriscaping is not that friendly for pets and kids. Bermudagrass is a good option - low water usage, grows like crazy... still grass but has that low pile / smooth look.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The good stuff is very expensive. For a backyard xeriscaping is not that friendly for pets and kids. Bermudagrass is a good option - low water usage, grows like crazy... still grass but has that low pile / smooth look.
Does Bermuda yellow with dog pee? Also, does it go yellow in the winter? It would be a cheaper choice. I would love to know if anyone has this information.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:26 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttoteach View Post
Does Bermuda yellow with dog pee? Also, does it go yellow in the winter? It would be a cheaper choice. I would love to know if anyone has this information.
Yes it goes yellow

Don't know about dog pee speficially but NOTHING kills it... it's the grass they use at most parks in San Diego.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:53 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Yes it goes yellow

Don't know about dog pee speficially but NOTHING kills it... it's the grass they use at most parks in San Diego.
that and crab grass

That fake stuff is too $

Old 09-06-2008, 11:45 PM

32 posts, read 153,413 times
You might check with some gardeners, I know that some of the big resorts that allow pets use some kind of a product that they put on the grass to prevent it from dying or turning yellow. Don't know what it is thou.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:55 PM

33 posts, read 146,158 times
We used synthetic around our pool and were very, very happy with it. I'd say install is harder than you think as we had to have it restretched. It acts like carpet and if not installed properly, it will buckle. For drainage, we went with a specific product that would help with this. We have a dog as well and were concerned with smells and poor draining. A little simple green and spray down with the hose and it's fresh and clean. If it's not too large of an area, it's worth the price and water savings. Overall, we love it and would recommend it for pet owners, definitely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: