Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:22 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,926 times

Advertisements

Well we didn't want to do it, but we left earlier today heading cross country to Bethesda , Maryland for my wifes next duty station (Bethesda Naval Hospital) for the next three years.

We had our final inspection of our apartment late morning and decided to have one last lunch before we left San Diego in Coronado and it was a picture perfect day over there.

Anyway without getting to sappy , we are going to miss San Diego and our neighborhood in East Chula Vista very badly. Not just because of the weather. We really loved our neighborhood and the community feel it always seem to give off. The sense of safety here with very little "violet" crime. Can't say that in the DC area, with sometimes 3 to 5 murders weekly over the last few months.

We hope that we can get stationed here again in three years or maybe if the wife decides to leave the service that we would make East Chula Vista our home and raise our family there. We're both hoping for one or the other, we'll see? We already are planning a nice long vacation back here next year or the following.

I do intend on keeping informed of the old area from this board and you guys need to keep us ex-patriots up to date with plenty of fresh PHOTO's.

Goodluck to all and keep up the good work everyone.
Bunky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:51 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
I'm sorry you have to leave but good luck to you in your new home and definitely come back to this site, sdurbanite is always posting some killer pictures.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:31 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,895,570 times
I just moved from SD to DC Metro. I am in NoVA/Fairfax and absolutely love it. It reminds me very much of East County/Mission Valley where I am from, but not as expensive with lots of stuff to do. No I can't take walks along Seaport Village anymore or stroll Coronado but I still talk to SD regularly and I'm making friends here. Lots of stuff for families too. Good luck with your move, I don't know much about the MD side but hopefully it will be a positive good surprise for you too.-leighland

Old 08-06-2008, 03:56 PM

387 posts, read 2,131,666 times
Good luck to you and your wife!

Old 08-06-2008, 05:46 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,743,296 times
So long, Bunky! You positive opinions and perspectives of someone who actually lived in the South Bay were much appreciated. And as a longtime South Bay resident, I thank you for that.

If it's any consolation, the DC area is the only place on the East Coast I'd consider living in. And don't forget there's a non-stop United flight from Dulles to SAN!

Good luck to you!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:58 PM

489 posts, read 1,957,201 times
"You positive opinions and perspectives of someone who actually lived in the South Bay were much appreciated. And as a longtime South Bay resident, I thank you for that."[quote]

I second that. Hope you can come back to Eastlake some day--It will all still be here in three years, even bigger I'm sure! Like you, I love Eastlake too.

Sorry you have to leave, but good luck, and do come back!

Last edited by jkoz; 08-06-2008 at 10:11 PM..

Old 08-07-2008, 08:32 AM

11 posts, read 32,950 times
Bunky, speaking as someone who spent most of there active duty Navy time in SD, and I liked it so much that after I got out, I stayed there for 14 years. I am now a Civil Service employee of the Navy, and I left SD three years ago to take a job here at NNMC Bethesda. Needless to say you are in for a culture shock, as DC is NOT San Diego, but as you already know, duty calls, and you have to make the best of it. As for me, three years is enough of the Metro DC area, and I am more than ready to return to SD for good!. I wish you the best of luck, and hope you enjoy yourselves out here, even though the nearest beach is a long drive away in Ocean City!

Last edited by scarrier; 08-07-2008 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: Typos

Old 08-07-2008, 10:56 AM

349 posts, read 1,545,238 times
Bunky: we hate to see you go but Eastlake will be here waiting for you when you return.

I've enjoyed your posts and know how tough it is to move (believe me, my dad was a career Navy man). I know a couple in Otay Ranch whose wife was transferred to Millington but they like it here so much he stayed here with his daughter and kept their house. The wife is in the Navy and she travels back here whenever she can. But, that is a hard life and I would never recommend it. You are doing the right thing by moving w/your wife.

Good luck in D.C. !

Old 08-07-2008, 12:20 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,743,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
You positive opinions and perspectives of someone who actually lived in the South Bay were much appreciated. And as a longtime South Bay resident, I thank you for that.
Sorry...sometimes I type faster than I can think. To translate what I meant to say above:

I always appreciated reading about your positive experiences of living in the South Bay. And as a former South County resident, I thank you for that.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:18 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarrier View Post
Bunky, speaking as someone who spent most of there active duty Navy time in SD, and I liked it so much that after I got out, I stayed there for 14 years. I am now a Civil Service employee of the Navy, and I left SD three years ago to take a job here at NNMC Bethesda. Needless to say you are in for a culture shock, as DC is NOT San Diego, but as you already know, duty calls, and you have to make the best of it. As for me, three years is enough of the Metro DC area, and I am more than ready to return to SD for good!. I wish you the best of luck, and hope you enjoy yourselves out here, even though the nearest beach is a long drive away in Ocean City!

I want to thank everyone for there kind words and I look forward to reading and getting updates on whats going on in San Diego while we're away.

Scarrier, I know ALL about the culture shock. I grew up in the DC/Maryland area and left there in 1997 to move to Florida. I still have some friends in the area and they have told me that some parts of Montgomery County have gone the same way as PG which is sad. But my main goal right now is when we get to Maryland is to find some nice safe community to live in somewhat close to Bethesda.

Everyone can complain about San Diego traffic , but DC's is the worst. It was terrible when I left in 97 and everyone says its three times worst now. Thats why we're hoping that we can live close to my wifes work, not to mention my wife is a native Floridian (yes there are a few of them) and although she has seen snow but has never had to drive in winter weather before in her whole life.

Yes Ocean City is 2 and 1/2 hours or so away and I will enjoy going there on occasion just like we did when I was a kid. Ocean City has the best "French Fry" place on the EAST coast called "THRASHERS FRENCH FRIES". Hands down the best Frys on the East coast.

Well we have three days left of driving to do, and as I sit here at a Best Western in the pan handle of Texas off of Interstate 40 we're going to look forward to getting settled in Maryland and start making the best of the three years we have there. Again Thanks all.. Bunky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego