Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 08:04 PM

161 posts, read 240,940 times

Advertisements

DH will most likely be stationed at Camp Pendleton for his next duty station and we are researching areas to live which will have good schools. DH does not mind a reasonable commute if it means living in an area that has decent schools. I have heard Cardiff, Carlsbad and Poway are "good"- our daughter will be in pre-K by then. I have heard to avoid Oceanside like the plague. Feedback would greatly be appreciated- thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 08:06 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
I would not say avoid Oceanside like the plague, it has it's problems but some are overblown. You absolutely will not go wrong with Poway though, I highly recommend it if it's an option for you.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:52 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,719 times
Most parts of Oceanside are best avoided. Cardiff is extremely expensive. Carlsbad is good but expensive (but less so than Cardiff). Poway is good.

I can also suggest Temecula. Schools are good and real estate is dirt cheap. I'm not very familiar with Camp Pendleton, but Google Maps show that there's a base entrance in Fallbrook area, and it would be less than 15 miles (with little traffic) from there to Temecula. Poway is 25+ miles from the base.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:27 PM

53 posts, read 375,211 times
Closer than Temecula is Fallbrook. Stay on the east side within the Bonsall school district, which is very good, and you'll be fine.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:26 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Definitely avoid Oceanside!

Old 05-18-2009, 09:30 AM

250 posts, read 911,155 times
Oceanside is fair, carlsbad/solana beach and del mar are very good ones but you will pay more for homes nearer to the beach off the 5.
Poway unfiied is the best district in the entire county. I highly recommend it, it is outstanding. My son is only in Kinder and we just PCSd to virginia and he is well ahead, no....insanly ahead of his peers in virginia. He was only average in his K class in poway. They just have some high standards there and all the teachers have been outstanding not to mention the extremely high involvement of parents (which probably is why its such a good district). You could find a home in north RB area and still have a decent commute into pendleton. There is a fabulous preK there if you need recommendations for preK, LONG waiting lists but they occasionally have openings. I love that area after having lived all over the county. Alot of families, close enough to the beach (taking 56 straight in will take 10-15 min to the beach in del mar) and lots of amenities right there in that area. I miss it--so much.
Good luck.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:23 PM

384 posts, read 980,988 times
Will you be stationed here for a short time? Do you think that you'll need to worry about middle schools? If you'll only be here for elementary, there are some very good schools in Oceanside. The best, according to API scores are Ivey Ranch (884), Empresa (862), Lake (870). In terms of their ranking compared to the rest of the state, they received 9 out of 10. Research them on great schools, and then look for houses in their boundaries: http://www.oside.k12.ca.us/districtp...20Boundary.pdf and http://www.vusd.k12.ca.us/Departments/BusinessServices/facilities/Boundary%20Maps/Elementary%20School%20Boundary%20Map.pdf (broken link)
Janine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego