Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 04:07 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,748,596 times

Advertisements

Less than a month ago, friends who lived in Talmadge sold their house after on being on the market for only 2 days. Had 5 different offers and got more than their asking price...........not bad during these tough economic times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:57 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,375,038 times
It's largely area dependent, but many people figure that if the monthly cost to rent is close to the cost to buy, then prices will stabilize. That has happened in a number of places.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 PM

434 posts, read 989,147 times
<on rent and mortage being equal>

This is after putting 20 percent down - instead of investing it or letting it earning interest* - plus $10-$15K in closing costs. Never mind the almost compulsory post-closing trips to Home Depot or Z Gallerie, or whatever your favorite decor/hardware store.

*I know CD/MMA rates stink right now.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:22 PM
f_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSDLifer View Post
<on rent and mortage being equal>

This is after putting 20 percent down - instead of investing it or letting it earning interest* - plus $10-$15K in closing costs. Never mind the almost compulsory post-closing trips to Home Depot or Z Gallerie, or whatever your favorite decor/hardware store.

*I know CD/MMA rates stink right now.
Yes, with 20% down, which is typical, and almost required now (well, for conventional and to avoid fees, etc...). Anyone who really wants to buy should be saving. Not sure why closing costs would be that high. When I looked, estimated closing costs were $2-3k.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Yes, with 20% down, which is typical, and almost required now (well, for conventional and to avoid fees, etc...). Anyone who really wants to buy should be saving. Not sure why closing costs would be that high. When I looked, estimated closing costs were $2-3k.
Two to 3 percent of purchase price?

Way back in 2001 when my wife and I bought our first place, for $120K, we paid about 3 grand for closing costs, and that can include impounds for property taxes, HOA dues and insurance -- not just one-time fees to the escrow company and lender.

Recently, our good faith estimate for a $350,000 purchase was a little over $10,000.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:01 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,719,454 times
I think the immediate area, close to the city will maintain it's value. going out 15 and 215 will be a disaster. Ten years of declining wages have made those homes impracticle, the middle class can only afford to shop at WALMART

Old 07-26-2009, 04:21 PM
f_m

Quote:
Two to 3 percent of purchase price?
For CA, I always hear 1-2% of the price. If you want to buy points or something then it's more, but that's optional.

Quote:
Way back in 2001 when my wife and I bought our first place, for $120K, we paid about 3 grand for closing costs, and that can include impounds for property taxes, HOA dues and insurance -- not just one-time fees to the escrow company and lender.

Recently, our good faith estimate for a $350,000 purchase was a little over $10,000.
I don't know, I got estimates from SDCCU and BofA (which can be gotten online) in the $2-3k range for 300-400k price. I have no interest in using prepaid impounds, not sure what the real advantage would be (I've read of some of these escrow companies going out of business, although most of the shaky ones are probably gone by now). Closing at the end of the month will minimize prepaid interest to a few hundred dollars. SDCCU gives closing costs waivers up to $3k in fees at certain times of the year. A mortgage broker would not tell me the range, though I know someone used a mortgage broker and he said he paid around $10k, but I think with 1 point. If you want the lowest possible rate and are willing to put more upfront to buy the rate down, then closing will cost more upfront, but you could always roll it into the loan.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
For CA, I always hear 1-2% of the price. If you want to buy points or something then it's more, but that's optional.

I don't know, I got estimates from SDCCU and BofA (which can be gotten online) in the $2-3k range for 300-400k price. I have no interest in using prepaid impounds, not sure what the real advantage would be (I've read of some of these escrow companies going out of business, although most of the shaky ones are probably gone by now). Closing at the end of the month will minimize prepaid interest to a few hundred dollars. SDCCU gives closing costs waivers up to $3k in fees at certain times of the year. A mortgage broker would not tell me the range, though I know someone used a mortgage broker and he said he paid around $10k, but I think with 1 point. If you want the lowest possible rate and are willing to put more upfront to buy the rate down, then closing will cost more upfront, but you could always roll it into the loan.
Neither of our two loans nor our refi was done using points.

If you remove those reoccurring fees, then the amount as a percentage probably correlates to 1 to 2 percent. I'm not doubting that fees vary or that they can be negotiated.

The advantage, or "advantage," to impounding taxes/insurance is many lenders will give you a lower interest rate for the privilege of collecting your money. On my last home loan, I was so annoyed that Downey overestimated that amount, that I insisted on ending the arrangement. Thus the other "advantage": Some would rather be forced to pay the money monthly so that they don't face a big tab later; maybe the same people who willingly overpay their taxes each paycheck so that they get a big reward come February.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:04 PM
f_m

Quote:
The advantage, or "advantage," to impounding taxes/insurance is many lenders will give you a lower interest rate for the privilege of collecting your money. On my last home loan, I was so annoyed that Downey overestimated that amount, that I insisted on ending the arrangement. Thus the other "advantage": Some would rather be forced to pay the money monthly so that they don't face a big tab later; maybe the same people who willingly overpay their taxes each paycheck so that they get a big reward come February.
This is completely optional, you made a statement about $10-15K, which is far off from $2-3K. As far as paying more later, I guess it depends on the situation, property taxes are the same, I don't see any reason to pay them early.

I suspect there are some lenders that might give a lower rate for impound, but generally it's unnecessary unless you do under 20% down payment, and I have not actually heard or read of any interest benefits from it.

Didn't Downey go out of business (had to be taken over)?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:09 PM

99 posts, read 368,961 times
I just talked to my real estate agent. She says the inventory is in very short supply and demand is driving up prices through foreclosure bidding. She says the bottom has been reach and house prices are starting to climb steadily. That is in part due to Obama's first time $8000 credit, the general lack of properties in SD, and signs of recovering economy/housing sales. By December 2109 prices will be increasing at healthy levels. Knowing that, she advised its better to buy soon before the price of homes rebounds by the end of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego