Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:12 AM

349 posts, read 1,545,070 times

Advertisements

I agree. I think it's ridiculous how hyped up everyone gets about the presidential election, the president doesn't really have the power to change things anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 11:19 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Pacific Beach is covered in "NO on Prop D" signs. While there are plenty of Yes on D signs there are by far a lot more "NO on D" signs. The people that actually live in PB and MB are very much opposed to Prop D.

And the director on the PB Town Council and yes on D committee member was caught red handed stealing "No on D" signs, so I guess the "yes on D" campaign doesn't like free speech and can't handle the fact that the majority of residents in PB oppose Prop D. This is from an e-mail I got from the "No on Prop D" campaign:

"Dear No On Prop D Supporter:

If you are receiving this email, you should've had a Vote No On Prop D yardsign placed in front of your house within the last week or two. If your yard sign has gone missing, read below and send me an email to get it replaced:
Our opponents base their whole argument on the foundation that citizens are breaking the law on the beach and therefore ALL of our rights should be taken away to punish these few violators.

But how are our opponents running their campaign? Well, the are breaking the law by stealing OUR signs. We had a volunteer who saw his sign being stolen and he followed the thief. The thief had almost 20 signs in his truck and was on his way to steal even more. Who is the thief? Turns out to be a Director of the PB Town Council, Yes on D Committee Member and long time ban supporter. "

^^so think about these dirty tactics the Yes on D supporters are pulling when you go to vote.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:41 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
I agree. I think it's ridiculous how hyped up everyone gets about the presidential election, the president doesn't really have the power to change things anyway.
Really? I'm the total opposite. I've enjoyed watching the debates among big groups and discussing it afterwards. Then there is the watercooler talk at work.

I'm also glad to see people excited about this election. It gives me hope that people actually care about what is going on around them. It will be a sad day if people start to care more about who wins Dancing with the Stars, instead of the Presidency.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:19 PM

349 posts, read 1,545,070 times
Sorry, I'm just not thrilled about either candidate. I'm tired of the debates, they really don't have the power to make the changes they're promising, they are just saying what they think people want to hear. The President can only veto or approve laws, congress writes the bills. The only thing they actually have authority to do is to sign things or commit the country to a war. They aren't as powerful as people think, if they can't get people to cooperate with them, they can't get anything done.

I understand what you're saying, it's important to care but caring does not make for an educated citizen. I think they are bull****ting us. I'm thinking "this guys a liar". It's like American Idol, people are voting for who they like or they think is cool.

If people have passion they should make changes at the grassroots level, not vote for someone they think is making the difference, that's not where change happens, change happens locally. Obama saying that he wants more kids to go to college. He has no power to do that, there is not a damn thing he can do about it but make a speech, it's a joke. McCain is pandering to people too "oh yea, the chiefs taught me everything I know". Give me a break, he's kissing ass.

They are just stupid soundbites, not actually educating people or answering any questions directly. The President can't fix the economy, they can only do so much. "My opponent is pro big business, just like all Republicans!" It's just like name calling. They lie to the people. "I'm going to fix healthcare" they can't actually change healthcare. it's more important what congress and senators

Old 10-21-2008, 09:35 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
Sorry, I'm just not thrilled about either candidate. I'm tired of the debates, they really don't have the power to make the changes they're promising, they are just saying what they think people want to hear. The President can only veto or approve laws, congress writes the bills. The only thing they actually have authority to do is to sign things or commit the country to a war. They aren't as powerful as people think, if they can't get people to cooperate with them, they can't get anything done.

I understand what you're saying, it's important to care but caring does not make for an educated citizen. I think they are bull****ting us. I'm thinking "this guys a liar". It's like American Idol, people are voting for who they like or they think is cool.

If people have passion they should make changes at the grassroots level, not vote for someone they think is making the difference, that's not where change happens, change happens locally. Obama saying that he wants more kids to go to college. He has no power to do that, there is not a damn thing he can do about it but make a speech, it's a joke. McCain is pandering to people too "oh yea, the chiefs taught me everything I know". Give me a break, he's kissing ass.

They are just stupid soundbites, not actually educating people or answering any questions directly. The President can't fix the economy, they can only do so much. "My opponent is pro big business, just like all Republicans!" It's just like name calling. They lie to the people. "I'm going to fix healthcare" they can't actually change healthcare. it's more important what congress and senators
The president does make a difference, especially the next term. The Congress is dominated by Democrats, and with a Democratic president, things will go smoothly. The Democratic president will appoint the next liberal judge to balance out the Supreme Court.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:25 AM

16 posts, read 56,086 times
Bush isn't running again, nobody to hate on.

In 2004 they hated on Bush, we hated on Kerry, so the emotions were high.

at this point it's looking like an Obama White House, I think if it was a Hillary Dem ticket you'd have a lot of hate for her.

Neither Obama or McCain are hate worthy, and let's face it, political emotions are usually motivated by being repulsed by the opposition, not liking your side.

(registered republican voting for Obama here- while I like McCain the man he's too cozy with big business and Bush's domestic personnel, especially justice dept and other agencies, have got to go while we still have a few civil rights left)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego