Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 04:43 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,576,464 times

Advertisements

mini_cute has brought up the ongoing talk about the CA Bullet Rail in the "UTC Future" thread and was just now wondering,would you vote to pass that proposition and would you use it?Too me it seems like a bunch of bells and whistles and might be a waste of money.Just want to hear your thoughts on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 05:10 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
I am voting for it b/c CA will need it and kind of does already. There is a lot of intrastate travel in CA and our roads and airports are already congested enough. Try driving down I-5 in the middle of nowhere then get stuck in a 30 miles long bumper to bumper traffic jam with nothing but farms and cows all around you. No accidents or anything, just too many damn cars.

Also think about the direction we have been heading with gas prices. Does it really make any sense to rely almost completely on two modes of transportation that are at the mercy of volatile oil prices? Just look at what the airlines have done this year in addition to all the bankruptcies; fees for this, fees for that, 500% mark up in airfare, etc.... We need ALTERNATIVES, especially ones not dependent on oil and it's wild price fluctuations.

People may say "but I'll never see it built or use it" and that is a selfish mentality. Think about future generations or think about what if they had started this 20 years ago and we had it today. Wouldn't it be nice to have something like this now?? Better late than never IMO.

Just look at how much congestion there is now, what do you think it will be like with 45-50 million Californians? We've already reached the limit on freeway expansion in some areas and can only expand them so much, which never solves congestion BTW. Just look at how difficult and expensive it is to build new airports or expand existing ones. Look at how crowded our skies already are the how many near misses between planes occur every year.

Why keep doing the same things that cause us to be completely reliant on automobiles, airplanes, and rising fuel prices??

Transportation projects take a minimum of 20 years to get built so we need to think at least that far down the road and this is what Prop1A is doing. We are voting today for a better CA tomorrow with this.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:33 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,719 times
I'll vote for it on the off chance that it actually gets built and ends up as useful as they say. But I am pessimistic.

They are going about building this thing in a counterintuitive way. Instead of building the high-speed rail where it could be actually useful (between San Diego, Inland Empire, and LA), they are going to spend something like $30 billion laying rail in Central Valley, and then hope to use hypothetical revenues to continue the rail to Inland Empire and San Diego along I-15. We would likely end up with a very expensive white elephant that draws some passengers away from LA-SF commuter airlines (but not enough to be profitable), hopelessly increasing gridlock in LA-SD metro, and no money left.

I've seen two projections, the optimistic one is to finish phase 1 (LA-SF) by 2016 and extend to SD by 2019, and the pessimistic one is to start LA-SF service in 2020 and extend to SD 5-10 years later.

America is not what it used to be. It's gotten fat and lazy. Teenagers shun any kind of manual labor, dream about liberal arts degrees and pencil-pushing management jobs. The days of Eisenhower and Kennedy, when the country could come together and build 40 thousand miles of freeways in less time and for less money than this high-speed rail system is going to take, are long gone.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:49 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post

America is not what it used to be. It's gotten fat and lazy. Teenagers shun any kind of manual labor, dream about liberal arts degrees and pencil-pushing management jobs. The days of Eisenhower and Kennedy, when the country could come together and build 40 thousand miles of freeways in less time and for less money than this high-speed rail system is going to take, are long gone.
Can't disagree here.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:16 PM

470 posts, read 1,708,071 times
I think it is a practical choice to route high speed rail through the Central Valley. The region is far more affordable, and would give much greater access to employment centers.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:19 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzer View Post
I think it is a practical choice to route high speed rail through the Central Valley. The region is far more affordable, and would give much greater access to employment centers.
Not sure how they plan to do the schedule (as far as commuting goes), but it would definitely be useful to people living in the Temecula region. It would definitely grow there if mass transportation was suitable.

The other things it would do are reduce fuel use since airplanes are using fuel, but the trains are electric. Also, more jobs for the next few years over a wide geographic region, which is one of the problems right now, few jobs in construction.

Whether it will be worth it is hard to say, but it would allow more people to live in affordable places like Temecula, or outside other metro areas, then it could get fair usage (depending on the way it is scheduled).

Old 10-23-2008, 10:09 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,705 times
A lot of you made good points. Rep points all around please.

Anyway, I already voted Yes on Prop 1A. Even if I don't get to see the high speed bullet train built and operating in my lifetime, it will be good to know that it will be there for my children and future generations. We need to start now, to affect the future.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
I voted "Yes" on this proposition for all of the reasons already mentioned above. Nice job everyone!

Old 10-24-2008, 08:56 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
I am voting yes, but don't believe the state can afford it, or that it should be considered a state priority along with schools or fire or police.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:34 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,713 times
I am voting yes too. The SD airport definitely sucks and with a bullet train going to LA would be great for travelers.

This is the future, and it's time to change the way we travel. I love California, and I would like to see Norcal and Socal connected more. I like going up there for culture, greens, families and friends, and snowboarding. If it doesn't happen in my lifetime, but if indeed happened, I think it will make California great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego