Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,695 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am thinking of moving to San Diego from Albany, NY if I get my dream job. I do not have a lot of money, but I still can live comfortably. I am looking for a safe neighborhood that is quiet. Can rent or own, probably will spend $1000.00 or per month for rent. I don't mind commuting into SD. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 10:20 PM

36 posts, read 69,007 times
Hi Mia:

I can't lie- SD is a beautiful place! I moved here five-years ago from Denver, and L-O-V-E the weather!! However, not to burst your bubble, $1000.00 will get you a studio apartment or maybe a very small, possibly scary, one bedroom.
If you live in Oceanside, you can spend less, but be ready for the traffic. To get to and from downtown SD during our rush hours (7AM-9:30AM, 3:30-6:30 PM), be ready to sit in your car for... probably 75-minutes or more.
I live in Pacific Beach (just north of downtown), which is 11-miles south of my office in Sorrento Valley and it takes me 30-45 minutes each way. It's a bummer. To give you an idea, I live in a 2-bedroom duplex (750 sf) with my fiancee and we pay $1500- my friends who live in apartment down the road pay $1900.00 for the same setup...
Also, the job market is very tough. If you are in health care or something, you'll be golden... but I have a marketing degree from a top college and have not been able to break into the field for five-years.... unless I'd be willing to settle for $32,000/yr. which is not livable I have been stuck in sales for the duration of my time here and I'm ready to cry
I am definitely not bashing SD, even if it seems that way. The people are great (TONS of east coast transplants), the nightlife is the best, and the weather is second-to-none.
When I moved here, I planned on staying here forever, but the glitz wore off after four-years. But is is DEFINITELY somewhere to try when you are in your 20s-30s.

Good luck :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego