Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,030 times

Advertisements

So me and my boyfriend of 5 years have a goal to move to San Diego within 3 years. We both love Philadelphia but are ready for a change while we are still young.

Realistically, I've started to doubt the move after reading several posts about how expensive the cost of living is down there.

We are both artists (dancer and industrial designer), mid-twenty's, not much money saved up. I'm also a certified Massage Therapist which is where I pull in most of my income. I'm not too worried about his job security -- he will be set. But, I need to be able to hold my own and not depend on him 100% financially (I like being independent ).

So, what are the better area's of town where there are younger couples? Is San Diego a good place for a Massage Therapy career?

Basically, where should we start to look for a place to live... somewhere that's not skyrocket expensive, but also somewhere we will fit in??

We're planning another trip out there the end of summer to scope out areas to live, jobs etc... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

*Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 05:35 PM

105 posts, read 336,615 times
I used to live in South Jersey, from what I've seen the cost of living isn't as drastic a difference as folks make it seem. What do you pay for rent?

Old 01-03-2009, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 4,030 times
around $800 not including utilities.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:28 AM

105 posts, read 336,615 times
WWW.SDPROPERTYMANAGER.COM, http://www.sevillemgmt.com/ (Lots of reasonable Studios and 1Br apts)

Mckee Asset Management (1BR in North Park for $725. Studio in Hillcrest for $725.)

AMI PROPERTY MANAGEMENT same as above. Studios in Banker's Hill low as $750 w/utilities.
Ex. of one I'm looking at: from: 4301 Pacific Hwy, San Diego, CA 92110 to: 2027 Front St. - Google Maps (2027 Front St.)

Those are just a few examples, I've got many more and much nicer leads too...all for reasonable prices. Like I said before, this place isn't as expensive as some make it out to be.

I love Philly, but I'm one of those people who would trade in the brand new $800/mo. apt. for a not so new apt., same price, but in the middle of San Diego...

Last edited by MrNiceGuy06; 01-03-2009 at 08:58 AM..

Old 01-03-2009, 11:18 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,855,520 times
There's a fairly established "alternative medicine," yoga, holistic medicine, that sort of scene going in Encinitas (North County Coastal San Diego County). There are lots of small, independently owned places and some larger day spas that might employ you. Before other posters point it out, as it often seems to happen, I admit Encinitas is certainly on the expensive side of SD in terms of home prices, but it's a fairly affluent, desirable community with lots of beachy rentals, some, but not a ton of mid-20s like yourself, a decent nightlife (bars, restaurants) and you'll certainly feel as though you've moved to Southern California, as the laid-back, beach culture is very much a part of life here. Encinitas may be a place to check out. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego