Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:07 PM

248 posts, read 1,073,781 times

Advertisements

Been in Chicago for 28 years......worried that I wont like it there...worried about never setteling in....never getting used to the difference.....Scared of Change.....man I am a punk....but also worried about serious issues such as not finding a good paying job...

Tired of this cold here....crazy $250 dollar heating bills.....

Anyone here took a dive and moved to Sd? share your experience....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 06:24 PM

34 posts, read 108,475 times
I moved to San Diego from New York in 2001. The weather is great and you have outdoor activities all year round. Life is definitely easier in a lot of ways.

What I like
The weather mmm...da
The city is managable with a lot of interesting places to go.
Mountains of 6000 feet 45 minutes from the city.
You can be at the beach with 65 degree weather in winter and in a 45 minutes drive be in snow and 25 degree weather
Its a fairly mellow city

What I miss and don't like

Cultural 'edgyness" that you get in a cosmopolitan city. San Diego is not cosmopolitan like NYC Chicago or San Francisco and LA

Interesting people (There are some here but not many)

Job market is tough, not a lot of opportunity. pay is low and housing cost high.
I still don't feel like San Diego is "home" It feels like you are on one long extended vacation (some people might like this)

Unless you have funds for a year, a job here or are a hippy of some sort and can scrounge and live on nothing, DON't move here. There is a lot more opportunity in Los Angeles but more noise, pollution and crime.

I think the best opportunity in the job market here is biotech, computers/software, military/defense

Best
Scott

Old 12-23-2008, 09:54 AM

858 posts, read 2,236,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vertgt View Post
Been in Chicago for 28 years......worried that I wont like it there...worried about never setteling in....never getting used to the difference.....Scared of Change.....man I am a punk....but also worried about serious issues such as not finding a good paying job...

Tired of this cold here....crazy $250 dollar heating bills.....

Anyone here took a dive and moved to Sd? share your experience....
Just find a job lined up for you here and everything else will be easy. If you don't like it here, moving back is always an option. If you do move here and don't like it, you will get the experience of SD and another job will look good on your resume.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:17 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,254 times
im with you. im 26 and sick of new england winters. if i could find a descent job with a short commute to a cheap studio apartment in a safe area near the beach id be there right now. i live cheap, so i think i could do it

Old 12-23-2008, 10:24 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Who says we don't have seasons in San Diego? Sure, New England has the changing of the leaves in the Fall and San Juan Capistrano has the return of the swallows. But every winter, San Diego has fresh new chat board threads started by people from snow-buried parts of the country longing to live here.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:29 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Who says we don't have seasons in San Diego? Sure, New England has the changing of the leaves in the Fall and San Juan Capistrano has the return of the swallows. But every winter, San Diego has fresh new chat board threads started by people from snow-buried parts of the country longing to live here.
for 2 years now ive gone to carlsbad for new years and ive wore t-shirts and shorts the entire time. i even went hiking on a mountain with snow and ice on it. the other hikers thought i was crazy this time im going in feb, will it be colder?

Old 12-23-2008, 12:14 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
It's cool and breezy here today. No rain, but it's supposedly coming tomorrow. The highs have been in the low 60s and the lows have been in the 40s. Definitely not t-shirt weather for those of us natives, but maybe for you!! Hard to know how it will be when you visit in February. Could be cold and rainy, could be sunny and 70. You never know.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:43 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,743 times
I've discovered that one of the most important things about making a big move work is making the decision based on what you like about the location rather than basing it on what you don't like about where you currently live. My husband and I came out here 3 months ago after selling our home, our car and unloading 90% of out belongings. Not because we hated Michigan so much, but because we were more interested in what San Diego had to offer. There were many things we appreciated about where we lived, but this made more sense for who we are as people. So far we do not regret our decision in the least.

Ask yourself why you want to move here. Make a list of the things that would enhance your life by being here. How important are those things to you? If this list is comprehensive enough you will be motivated to make it happen. You must remember though, no matter how much research you do or how much planning, you are taking a chance. You won't know until you're here whether it was the right choice or not. What would be harder to live with, having made a bad move or not taking the chance to find out? All questions you need to ask yourself.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:32 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vertgt View Post
What if you do like it here? What if you settle in just fine? What if you learn to accept the differences better than you think? What if the change you endure turns out to be not that bad after all?

You can look at it from a different perspective as well, there are always what if's in anything you will do in life. If you focus just on what can go wrong though your going to limit yourself to a comfort zone, which is comfortable of course, but not necessarily what's best for you.

Nobody here can tell you if moving out here would be best for you and your life though, only you know that. However, I can think of a lot worse places to relocate to and have to adapt to, San Diego is a wonderful place to live.

In reality though you have to remember that it's expensive to live here, jobs are not as plentiful right now, and there is always a chance that you won't like it, as much as most of us here love San Diego it's not for everyone. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith though and if it's something you truly want to pursue then you will have to be the one who makes that decision, but if you ever have any questions there are lots of people in this section who will be more than happy to do their best to help you.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best. And have a Merry Christmas.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:29 PM

248 posts, read 1,073,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
What if you do like it here? What if you settle in just fine? What if you learn to accept the differences better than you think? What if the change you endure turns out to be not that bad after all?

You can look at it from a different perspective as well, there are always what if's in anything you will do in life. If you focus just on what can go wrong though your going to limit yourself to a comfort zone, which is comfortable of course, but not necessarily what's best for you.

Nobody here can tell you if moving out here would be best for you and your life though, only you know that. However, I can think of a lot worse places to relocate to and have to adapt to, San Diego is a wonderful place to live.

In reality though you have to remember that it's expensive to live here, jobs are not as plentiful right now, and there is always a chance that you won't like it, as much as most of us here love San Diego it's not for everyone. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith though and if it's something you truly want to pursue then you will have to be the one who makes that decision, but if you ever have any questions there are lots of people in this section who will be more than happy to do their best to help you.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best. And have a Merry Christmas.

thanx for those words that are making me think

thanx to everyone else that replied....gonna keep looking into this...also am planing a week long trip to SD in February....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego