Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:49 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times

Advertisements

So the "Sunshine Tax" is a myth? If so... it's a popular one!

Sunshine tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"San Diego" "Sunshine Tax" - Google Search

Read through some of those blog postings... sound eerily familiar?

Old 01-10-2009, 08:15 AM

33 posts, read 72,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post

Thank you...

Old 01-10-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
San Diego is a fantastic place to live!!

Yes ... some jobs may not pay as much here ... but then you make trade-offs. To have everything I mentioned above, you might just have to get by with a little less money.

Your are right about most of your post. I don't believe it is fantastic; but I do agree one can surely have a blast in San Diego. My family have done everything that you have mentioned in your post. I am just not to pleased with the state of the San Diegos job market and cost of living, which doesn' t balance each other out; there is a big gap between to the two...

I plan to get back on track real soon, otherwise I will have to leave the sunshine behind.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
It has a much better mass transit system and more history but the crime rate is much higher and even the renovated areas which have experience gentrification/urban renewal look much to ghetto for me. Don't even get me started on nearby hell holes like Baltimore.

Can someone, anyone, explain to me what ghetto is???? The last time I checked Mira Mesa hasn't won any #1 Blue Ribbons for Upper Middle Class Surburbia. Shrug: "Hint,Hint"

Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:

They pay my direct equivalent in RI about 30% more than me but it would take double that to make me live there. No, probably even more.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:11 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They pay my direct equivalent in RI about 30% more than me but it would take double that to make me live there. No, probably even more.
I believe Rhode Island has the highest unemployment rate in the country.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:24 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofakindcharly View Post
Can someone, anyone, explain to me what ghetto is???? The last time I checked Mira Mesa hasn't won any #1 Blue Ribbons for Upper Middle Class Surburbia. Shrug: "Hint,Hint"
I grew up in Scripps and when it came time for me to buy my first house I wanted to stay close to my family and I couldn't afford $850,000 to buy a place in Scripps so Mira Mesa was a good alternative being just across the freeway. The area is actually pretty good with a low crime rate, a high owner occupancy rate, and a good location close to the coast. Yes, I am aware that some people look down on Mira Mesa because 50% of the population is not white, not sure if you're one of them however I know that viewpoint exists, but honestly my Asian neighbors are great. I have no complaints.

As for your question of "what ghetto is"... If you are parannually the murder capital of America or the runner up (like DC is) then it's ghetto. If your violent crime rate is 2-3 times the national average then it's ghetto. If you are in the top 10 for property crime then it's ghetto. If people are selling drugs and/or there are prostitutes on the street corner then it is ghetto. Where I live there is none of that but in the cities I mentioned (DC & Baltimore) there is a LOT of that. That is why I call them ghetto.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Did you even read my post? I'm seriously left wondering because I clearly state that wages are some what lower in most fields compared to cities which are less desirable places to live. Please, try actually responding to what i said in the future.

As for what I actually did say. Lots of people seem to carp endlessly that there are few good paying jobs here when in fact there are loads of very good paying jobs but you have to be qualified to get them. We have to many people who want to be bar tenders or secretaries instead of engineers and scientists so the people with low skills have a hard time. I blame them for that because they don't take the initiative to better themselves or improve their employment opportunities nearly as much as they should. Instead they go on the internet and whine about how they can't own a beach home making $8 per hour as a waiter.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:43 PM

For example I didn't find it easy to get a job making the kind of money I do but I didn't just look in the want ads and surf the net all day either. Around two years ago when I switched jobs I not only checked all the want ads and online help wanted listings but I also went to all the industry association meetings. I networked the hell out of everyone I knew making sure everyone knew I was looking and what my qualifications were plus I leveraged those networking opportunities to open doors and introduce myself to people in key positions in my industry even though they were sometimes two or three people removed in my network. It paid off with a very good paying job but then I worked my ass off to get it and I had multiple very well paying job offers to show for my hard work. I also have a graduate degree from a very good school to help me qualify for those jobs and, yes, hard work pays off.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:25 AM

Default Oerdin,Oerdin,Oerdin, Special Case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Did you even read my post? I'm seriously left wondering because I clearly state that wages are some what lower in most fields compared to cities which are less desirable places to live. Please, try actually responding to what i said in the future.

As for what I actually did say. Lots of people seem to carp endlessly that there are few good paying jobs here when in fact there are loads of very good paying jobs but you have to be qualified to get them. We have to many people who want to be bar tenders or secretaries instead of engineers and scientists so the people with low skills have a hard time. I blame them for that because they don't take the initiative to better themselves or improve their employment opportunities nearly as much as they should. Instead they go on the internet and whine about how they can't own a beach home making $8 per hour as a waiter.
I am gonna make this as quick and sweet as possible.

1. I understand you grew up in Scripps, and the housing was too steep for you to afford, $850.000 was it?
Well, with that prestiges college education you recieved you should be able to afford at least house for a cool 1.5 million.
You know if you have to live off of your credit cards, your not really making it.

2. 50% of what??? I'm lost. Which 50% are you??? Last time I checked Filipinos are Pacific Islanders (Duh). I think I should know. Ask your neighbors.

3. I can't say that I have ever been a secretary or waitress/waiter; whichever you prefer to be called.
I would suggest that you not look down on these people, due-to, you could certainly be in that field at the rate of this economy; KNOW ONE is EXEMPT!

4.That prestiges college,hm,and you had to look for work? Hell, I would have thought with all that great backing, why work for anyone,"I'm confused."
I figure smart as you are, you could start a small business and help the community by offering jobs to build a better economy.
Oh, my bad, you slept through ECONOMICS 101.

5. By the way, I grew up in Pennsylvania in a 15 room home, family owned two businesses, myself as well, home in Rancho Penasquitos, my entire family have been to several colleges throughout the U.S.A., as well as severed in the armed forces,(Air Force) to be exact.

So before you get on your high horse, and judge people; get some life experience/soul searching. Because honestly, you sound like you don't have a clue about life. Don't believe everything you read; stay Sucka Free...
I'm done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego