Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 AM

443 posts, read 2,134,942 times

Advertisements

what do you think of Fallbrook? Is it a family friendly place? Is it safe? What do you think of the schools? We were looking into Oceanside but we are now looking into Fallbrook. My husband will be stationed at Camp Pendleton.

Thank you for any replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 11:41 AM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
what do you think of Fallbrook? Is it a family friendly place? Is it safe? What do you think of the schools? We were looking into Oceanside but we are now looking into Fallbrook. My husband will be stationed at Camp Pendleton.

Thank you for any replies
I used to live in Fallbrook and the weather and scenery is lovely. One of my neighbors used to say, though, that Fallbrook isn't sure what it wants to be when it grows up . I was not impressed with the schools at all- many people choose private schools instead. If you are looking for a good bit of land, are keeping horses, etc. then it's worth the small-town aspects, but getting in and out (either the 2 lane portion of 76 or 2 lane Mission Rd.) is a bear. I know there is a Camp Pendleton gate in Fallbrook, and in that way it would be convenient. Maybe your kids could go to school on base? I think that's what a lot of military families in that area choose. As for shopping, restaurants, weekend activities, we found ourselves going to Oceanside or Temecula all the time. Shopping in Fallbrook is basically limited to Albertsons and Payless shoes, which can be frustrating if you're toting kids around. I can't emphasize how beautiful and green it is though. Parts of it are absolutely gorgeous, it gets nice ocean breezes because of the elevation, avocados around every corner. But it is the epitome of inconvenient and isolated. Hope this helps!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:27 PM

dweej,

Thank you very much for your response. Moving is so frustrating I just want to pull out my hair! I don't know what to do. Maybe we should just live on base. Thanks again for your feedback.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:53 PM

170 posts, read 453,676 times
I would chose Fallbrook over O'Side in a red-hot second.
But they are very different. Fallbrook has the small town scenery with lots of trees and rolling hills. Nice little browsing shops and restaurants. It also floods during the rainy season.
O'Side has the beach and more consumer conveniences.

Depends on what you want.

Does Pendleton have grocery shopping on the base?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutternize View Post
I would chose Fallbrook over O'Side in a red-hot second.
But they are very different. Fallbrook has the small town scenery with lots of trees and rolling hills. Nice little browsing shops and restaurants. It also floods during the rainy season.
O'Side has the beach and more consumer conveniences.

Depends on what you want.

Does Pendleton have grocery shopping on the base?
Clutternize,

Yes Pendleton has a commisary on the base that we'll do most of our grocery shopping.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:00 AM

170 posts, read 453,676 times
Then all you gotta do is decide how far you want to be from the beach!

Fallbrook would be a good 45 minute drive, Oceanside is right there. 15 minutes at the most. Living on the base would probably be easiest, but I don't know how the housing is set up.

Good luck with whatever you decide, moving IS frustrating.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 AM

204 posts, read 641,671 times
I'm pretty well versed in this considering I just did this looking to buy a home with my husband who is stationed at Camp Pendleton. I wouldn't go with Fallbrook because their schools are lackluster and the schools on Camp Pendleton aren't too hot either. Bonsall is right next to Fallbrook, but it's really sleepy but they do seem to have a semi decent school. I would check out carlsbad if you were going to be renting. San Marcos has some good schools sprinkled around and may be more budget conscious. My husband and I chose the Shadowridge (zip code 92081) area of Vista. It had a good balance of everything: close to the beach (7 miles), good schools in the area, and have all the major conveniences nearby including Camp Pendleton about 15-20 mins away.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:41 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htnspz View Post
I'm pretty well versed in this considering I just did this looking to buy a home with my husband who is stationed at Camp Pendleton. I wouldn't go with Fallbrook because their schools are lackluster and the schools on Camp Pendleton aren't too hot either. Bonsall is right next to Fallbrook, but it's really sleepy but they do seem to have a semi decent school. I would check out carlsbad if you were going to be renting. San Marcos has some good schools sprinkled around and may be more budget conscious. My husband and I chose the Shadowridge (zip code 92081) area of Vista. It had a good balance of everything: close to the beach (7 miles), good schools in the area, and have all the major conveniences nearby including Camp Pendleton about 15-20 mins away.
Great advice!

Old 01-07-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htnspz View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into San Marcos. How long does it take to get to Pendleton from San Marcos? Did you guys buy or rent?

Old 01-07-2009, 01:46 PM

Is there a particular area or areas so avoid in San Marcos? Like specific streets or crossroads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego