Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:07 AM

21 posts, read 36,923 times

Advertisements

Hey there. I'm posting one of these in several city forums. We're coming to the US on holidays later in the year with our smallish kids. Is it possible to holiday in or in the surrounds of San Diego without having to hire a car? Are there okay public transport systems? Also, we're looking for nice (and affordable) vacation rental houses or child-friendly hotels. There are loads online but they all say they're wonderful and I can't tell!
Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 11:12 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Some may disagree with me, but I think it would be incredibly difficult and frustrating to try to see San Diego without a car.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:53 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,147 times
^^^I concur.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:02 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchwitch View Post
Hey there. I'm posting one of these in several city forums. We're coming to the US on holidays later in the year with our smallish kids. Is it possible to holiday in or in the surrounds of San Diego without having to hire a car? Are there okay public transport systems? Also, we're looking for nice (and affordable) vacation rental houses or child-friendly hotels. There are loads online but they all say they're wonderful and I can't tell!
Cheers
Rent a car. You will be 1000 times happier as public transport in the US (including San Diego) is a mess. You'll wait for hours for a bus, pay to much for it, need at least two more connection which you will have to wait an hour for, and the entire time you'll have to be next to homeless people & prostitutes. Just avoid it and rent a car. The freeways are excellent and easy to navigate while parking isn't a problem in most places.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some may disagree with me, but I think it would be incredibly difficult and frustrating to try to see San Diego without a car.
The problem is systemic and wide spread lack of investment in the public sector. In cities which do spend the money public transit is good to great (NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, San Francisco) but San Diego has a "we won't pay taxes or fees" mentality so public services are next to nonexistent. Welcome to red America.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:21 PM

21 posts, read 36,923 times
Wow! That was informative! Thanks a mill. I guess I'll be hiring a car.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:30 PM

If you're worried about finding your way around then don't be as this is a tourist town with lots of road signs every where pointing people towards attractions plus most rental cars (other then the cheapest) now come with on board electronic navigation systems which give you turn by turn directions in real time from your actual position.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
The problem is systemic and wide spread lack of investment in the public sector. In cities which do spend the money public transit is good to great (NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, San Francisco) but San Diego has a "we won't pay taxes or fees" mentality so public services are next to nonexistent. Welcome to red America.
Well, even in most of "blue America", my experience with public transport hasn't been great. I lived in San Francisco for awhile, and although I was happy to have it as an option, I usually avoided public transport if I could.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchwitch View Post
Wow! That was informative! Thanks a mill. I guess I'll be hiring a car.
Good decision. And usually car rentals aren't that expensive.

I agree with Oerdin about the navigation systems too. They're wonderful.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:47 PM

Also gas is pretty cheap in the US. Right now in San Diego prices are around $1.80 per gallon and falling which is much better then the $8 per gallon (about that range once you convert Metric to Imperial and pounds to dollars) I had to pay last time I visited my relatives in Scotland. Believe it or not people in San Diego actually complain that we're getting ripped off by high gas prices compared to other cities.

There is a lot to see and do in this region so make sure you get a good guide book so that you don't miss anything good. Also the guide book will likely have some great suggestions for hotels and other such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Good decision. And usually car rentals aren't that expensive.

I agree with Oerdin about the navigation systems too. They're wonderful.
If she shops around she should be able to get a decent midsized car for $25-$30 per day; less if she rents it by the week. Not bad for a total transportation solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego