Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:54 PM

37 posts, read 76,295 times

Advertisements

hello all! I wanted to get some feedback about human resource jobs in san diego...I am graduating with a bachelor's in psychology, I am attending an internship in an HR department and thinking about moving to SD in 2011...My main concern is if I will have a broad range of jobs to choose from in Human resources in good ol' SD...any input on the job market in southern cali would be great also!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 08:16 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,323,201 times
The unemployment rate is around 9% here in San Diego so all jobs are kind of hard to come by at the moment. Check out the listings at monster & hotjobs and see what you can find.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:22 AM

95 posts, read 388,845 times
true unemployment in California is around 20% when you count those who fall thru the cracks who dont get counted like those that give up looking(I know a lot of those).Many places have hiring freezes and they are laying off and if you do get hired, you will be the new hire and the first to go!Tis is the absolute worst job market since the great depression. Dont come here.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:45 AM

105 posts, read 336,676 times
I found a very good job in San Diego from 1700 miles away w/in one week...they are out there, you can find something.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:11 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,747,106 times
Job market is tough here - like most of the country- and expected to get worse. Unemployment rate in San Diego is around 7.4%, which is better than the rest of the state at 9.3% (it isn't 20% as someone mentioned above).

Old 02-08-2009, 01:49 PM

95 posts, read 388,845 times
when you count the people who have stopped looking,people who are underemployed(LOT OF THOSE!)people who no longer can collect unemployment,its WAY higher than 7.4.The market changed abruptly in Oct 08 with the banking crises...things are very different now.2009 and 2010 will be even worse when the stimulus doesnt work yet we will have massive inflation to pay for it.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:09 PM

39 posts, read 679,358 times
Well, I moved here in May and have applied for over 110 jobs and only have gotten 2 interviews and not one position has been offered. I even went to a temporary employment agency in September and they still have not called me. (These were for clerical positions). So, I have decided to finish my schooling and hopefully this May be able to get a job!

Old 02-08-2009, 02:16 PM

111 posts, read 195,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy06 View Post
I found a very good job in San Diego from 1700 miles away w/in one week...they are out there, you can find something.
What field are you in? I'm in Information Technology and am thinking about moving to San Diego. I'm 50 and have wanted to move to California since I was a teenager. I'm single, kids are grown, and I figure the time is right, personally, for me to move. Kind of scared though about finding employment, even in I.T. I'm about 1300 miles away and have applied for a few positions, but never get a call or email back.

The unemployment rate here in Oklahoma is less than 5%. But I can't stand living here anymore.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:22 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,630,871 times
I would wait a few months, I think it will be better soon.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:55 PM

105 posts, read 336,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko959 View Post
What field are you in? I'm in Information Technology and am thinking about moving to San Diego. I'm 50 and have wanted to move to California since I was a teenager. I'm single, kids are grown, and I figure the time is right, personally, for me to move. Kind of scared though about finding employment, even in I.T. I'm about 1300 miles away and have applied for a few positions, but never get a call or email back.

The unemployment rate here in Oklahoma is less than 5%. But I can't stand living here anymore.
I don't think theres a shortage of jobs working with or for the gov't. in both Defense and non-Defense. Degree, experience, standout resume, and good interview skills go a long way. Networking will obviously increase your chances. If you are in IT, why not request a transfer, or if your co. isnt in SD, find a competitor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego