Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by empomaranc View Post
I am a 23 year old art student from Chicago and I want to move to California in July. As for who I am as a person, just like the person in the original post I'm a liberal non-religious person. I'm happy to be a nanny or whatever to make money so jobs aren't as much of an issue as they might be for others. What I'm interested in is a very cool place with artists and more alternative people. I LOVE the outdoors but I'm also a city girl at heart. I was leaning toward the bay area but I'm really just groping around blindly trying to find a place. Housing in Chicago isn't cheap so I'm used to a city-level cost of living. Help!
do you have experience being a nanny? This has become quite a career; many people who are looking for nannies are very particular about who they hire. You may want to check in with an agency that places nannies.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 11:38 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
As the previous poster said, California right now has the highest unemployment (without including all the illegals and underground economy that don't get counted), and will be the highest taxed state in the union. How does $600-800+ sound to register your car? Housing is very expensive.

Seriously, San Diego is not an "urban city" at all. If you like a true city life (NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc.), this isn't the place for you. You can do the downtown scene in one weekend, which consists of a couple of blocks called the Gaslamp and be done with it.

And most of us that still do have jobs are working 12-14 hours a day to keep them, so we never see the beaches, museums, mountains, etc, etc. anyway.

Really, think twice and three times about coming here right now.
wow, that seriously bursts my bubble. i have been trying to convice my wife to move to SD for years now. i would be totally let down if it ended up being as tough of a place to live as you say. i live in philly, which is by no means an easy place to live, and i always pictured SD to be a relief compared to here. though i can concur about the not having time to enjoy the surroundings. work sucks. this decade sucks.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:59 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
well, timing in life is everything...so I wouldn't give up on moving here. It's just such a bad time right now and if people move here and then can't find jobs, or housing, etc. then it becomes a nightmare.

I agree that San Diego would be an "easier life" in many ways than Philly, but right now the odds are against anybody moving here, unless they have a very good job lined up in a relatively secure field (do those exist any more???). I speak from experience because I've moved during a bad recession and it was really difficult, couldn't find a job, and I ended up having to go back from where I left.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:00 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
CA will still NOT be the highest taxed state after this latest round of tax increases goes into effect. It's amazing how many people always throw that lie out there. You want high taxes then look at Northeastern states.

I don't know anyone working 12-14 hours a day, that is a pretty big exaggeration and assumption there. I find plenty of free time to enjoy what SD has to offer. During the summer its nice going to the beach after work and waiting for traffic to die down along I-5.

The economy is bad everywhere but SD isn't the worst place in the nation by any means.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:05 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
I can't wait for my registration to nearly double.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
It's all about perspective.

San Diego probably has a better job market than Michigan, at least our jobs will eventually come back. But Philly is going to have a better job market than San Diego. And while San Diego's nice areas might be a lot more attractive than Philly's working class areas, you probably won't be able to afford San Diego's nice areas unless you are pulling down serious bucks.

I work 10-12 hour days (including the commute) regularly as do most people in white-collar jobs in San Diego. That is a fact of life in a city with high CoL and a lot of competition for a few high paying jobs.

The outdoor opportunities can't be beat although it just depends on what you like to do. If you like fishin' on a lake, you might be disappointed in San Diego.. but if you like mountain biking, rock climbing, surfing, etc.....

The trick to moving to CA is to get past the misty-eyed "California Dreamin'" and really get down to brass tacks. A lot of people seem to want to move here because of the weather, but weather isn't the only thing you will need to consider if you do move here. You need to be realistic about how important weather really is to you. For some people living in a shack in the sunshine is A-OK. But far more seem to come here, realize it has problems too, and then say it's "overrated" (by who?).

Old 03-04-2009, 12:38 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
CA will still NOT be the highest taxed state after this latest round of tax increases goes into effect. It's amazing how many people always throw that lie out there. You want high taxes then look at Northeastern states.

I don't know anyone working 12-14 hours a day, that is a pretty big exaggeration and assumption there. I find plenty of free time to enjoy what SD has to offer. During the summer its nice going to the beach after work and waiting for traffic to die down along I-5.

The economy is bad everywhere but SD isn't the worst place in the nation by any means.
Not yet anyway. With Prop 13 limiting annual property tax increases and the recent nose dive of property value and rise in foreclosures there is little to no money to pay for not only infastructure but not much to pay for police, firefighters, bridge maintenance etc.. Will CA recover, sure....but when? I think CA has a good shot if they succeed in legalizing and taxing marijuana but that is another topic. Also, if we can get these morons on Capitol Hill to quit being so power hungry and implement the Fair tax nationwide we could pull out of this economic mess very quickly. For info on the fair tax (get educated people!) click here: Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans for Fair Taxation

Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
wow, that seriously bursts my bubble. i have been trying to convice my wife to move to SD for years now. i would be totally let down if it ended up being as tough of a place to live as you say. i live in philly, which is by no means an easy place to live, and i always pictured SD to be a relief compared to here. though i can concur about the not having time to enjoy the surroundings. work sucks. this decade sucks.
No this decade does not suck, I would guess you are not very old so haven't seen these swings before. The last year does suck, it is worst many of us have seen, but the entire decade doesn't suck. patience is a virtue. Be happy you have a job and your health.. Thinks will improve, maybe not in the next year or so, but eventually.

Nita

Old 03-04-2009, 12:51 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No this decade does not suck, I would guess you are not very old so haven't seen these swings before. The last year does suck, it is worst many of us have seen, but the entire decade doesn't suck.
Between 2002 and 2007 I tripled my salary and had almost unlimited job mobility.... so yeah... the decade was pretty good to me... last year (and this year) sucked.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:57 PM

137 posts, read 384,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Between 2002 and 2007 I tripled my salary and had almost unlimited job mobility.... so yeah... the decade was pretty good to me... last year (and this year) sucked.

Sounds like us. We had a pretty good run there for awhile, then it's like everything fell out.
At least we know we are not alone but that's little comfort in paying the bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego