Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2007, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,217 times

Advertisements

my fiance and I are considering a move to sunny san diego from rainy portland. we are 30 and 31 and would like to live either downtown (walking/biking distance to balboa park) or walking/biking distance to the beach : ) we went to college in LA and are missing california. we think san diego would be a good move (in the next year or two). any recommendations on places to live (best new condos) would be appreciated. we are also interested in the arts districts that are popping up! also, recommendations for best places to work down there would be appreciated as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 01:19 AM

22 posts, read 150,864 times
Default why San Diego?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annanow View Post
my fiance and I are considering a move to sunny san diego from rainy portland. we are 30 and 31 and would like to live either downtown (walking/biking distance to balboa park) or walking/biking distance to the beach : ) we went to college in LA and are missing california. we think san diego would be a good move (in the next year or two). any recommendations on places to live (best new condos) would be appreciated. we are also interested in the arts districts that are popping up! also, recommendations for best places to work down there would be appreciated as well!
Their are plenty of apartments and condos close to balboa park. Balboa park is beatiful, also very close to The World Famous San Diego Zoo their are plenty museums, and close to the beautiful down town San Diego! from sunny to rainy and back to sunny! well theirs really nothing left to say about why you should pick San Diego!

Old 03-25-2007, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 8,217 times
Thanks. Can I get some more info on North Park and East Village? Also, names of some great condos for 30-somethings. And some beach areas- Ocean Beach? Is it possible to bike from Banker's Hill to the beach?

Old 03-27-2007, 01:35 AM

22 posts, read 150,864 times
1st 0ff
Ocean Beach is beautiful great place to live, great beach! but you probaly wouldnt want to bike. take acar is my advise! The best beach in san diego expect for the beaches in Del Mar. You can bike to the San Diego bay. You can also bike down to seaport villege beatiful right by the water great restrants, close to Petco park and lots of fun! both east villege and north parkk are pretty nice areas,but their still are better! As far as condos go I'le look into it and try and help you.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:55 PM

20 posts, read 110,420 times
I go to Balboa Park nearly every week with my dog. It's right next to Hillcrest, which is a nice area with lots of bars and good restaraunts. It is considered the 'gay' part of town though, but not everyone who lives there is gay. I live in Mission Hills, which is right next to Hillcrest. Technically you can walk to Balboa Park, although I wouldn't recommend it because it would take too long. I'm not too familiar with downtown, although I do know that they have some pretty nice apartments there. As Outlaw said Ocean Beach is great and sometimes more affordable than downtown areas.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:25 PM

840 posts, read 6,518,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annanow View Post
Thanks. Can I get some more info on North Park and East Village? Also, names of some great condos for 30-somethings. And some beach areas- Ocean Beach? Is it possible to bike from Banker's Hill to the beach?

I have lived in North Park, but that was back in the mid 80's where it was decent, but I have seen it change alot, mainly because of East San Diegans moving over into the area. Not to scare you or anything, there are some good areas of North Park but I can't remember where. Maybe someone will let you know, I just can't think of any off the top of my head.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:39 PM

4,544 posts, read 12,416,612 times
North Park - Stay at least 2 blocks south of University Avenue. Those first two blocks tend to be noisy, congested, and rather ugly. If you are in eastern North Park, don't live right on 30th street. It's just too busy/noisy. And there's a bus route on 30th street. Bus engines mean noise. There's a ridge right along Georgia Avenue that makes that street kind of nice. Florida Street is in a small canyon, and is a through street to the park so it's busy. North Park also has a small arts area around Ray Street with an art centered festival. I've never been so I can't say much. But it would give the area a bit of a funky/artsy flair. This funky/artsy feeling really extends along the entire eastern side of the park.

Now specifically to what Imperial1904 said, to my eyes North Park seems to be the same as it always has. The ugly apartments that were built in the 60s and 70s are still there, and so are the nice houses that were built in the Teens and 20s. I haven't really seen it change at all, but then I never lived there, I only drove through it.

The west side of the park, Bankers Hill, or Park West as it is in the process of being renamed (Hard to say if that will take) has a lot more new, and high rise apartment construction as opposed to the older construction from the Teens and 20s that you'll find on the east side of the park. You can't bicycle to a beach from Bankers Hill. You could bicycle very easily to the Harbor, but the Harbor doesn't have any beaches. However, you could then take the ferry, cross the bay and enjoy Coronado and it's beaches without having to travel by car. I don't know how much the ferry would be, and I can't say for certain that bicycles are permitted on it, but frankly I'd be SHOCKED if they weren't. San Diego tries very hard to accommodate bicyclists. FYI, most or all city buses have bicycle racks.

East Village is hit and miss as it's redevelopment began just 10 years ago, but has definitely been on the upswing with all the new construction caused by the ball park. New construction means better protection from noise pollution. It would also put you in easy walking distance to the Gaslamp District, and it would be even easier for you to bicycle to the ferry and cross over to Coronado than would Bankers Hill. Living on Bankers Hill the bike ride downtown would be easy, but the ride back up the hill would be hard.

You also might want to consider the impact of airplane noise. Basically, find a map that shows the one runway at Lindbergh Field, and draw straight line along its axis to the east/southeast. One block north or south of that will have noise, but I'm told it diminishes a great deal with just a little distance. This should be a consideration if you choose Bankers Hill or Little Italy, but not East Village or North Park.

Sorry, I can't be any help concerning specific buildings. You'll just have to hope someone who lives in these buildings is a member of the message board. But getting that level of specificity will be hard to find.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM

10 posts, read 39,169 times
I can't bicycle to a beach from Banker's Hill? I'll have to remember that next time I do! I live in University Heights, which is several miles east/northeast of Banker's Hill and I've bicycled from my house to practically every beach between Ocean Beach and Oceanside. Here's the route I would take from Banker's Hill to Ocean Beach, for example: Fourth Ave. south, right on Ash or Beech, right on Pacific Hwy, west on the San Diego River Bike Path (Class III, entirely separated from traffic) all the way to OB. Can't bike from there to the beach? Of course you can, old sport!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego