Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:03 AM

415 posts, read 1,395,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
LOL!!!!!!!! So true.

Do you see illegals running around like mad out here?

Go to home depot off mission gorge or any place in el cajon or lemon grove

I hardly see any Mexicans in SD( beside South Bay) as it is compared to LA, so if anything the illegals are heading north past SD, or Eastward to the other states. Not all illegals are welfare queens, and want government help. The majority are hard working people that never complain, they will work 12 hour days like nothing even if the job pays so little.

But when they get sick and go to the hospital who do you think pays for it?????

I'm not gonna sit here and act like illegals are perfect souls, they do contribute to the drugs and some crime that we have here,
And who pays for their prison time??

but it's a small fraction. Likewise we provide weapons illegally to Mexico.
Where did you get this info from? NPR?

Its mexicans who send the guns back to mexico. Many of the guns the cartels use come from the mexican military. Where do you think they are getting explosives from? Guns shows at del mar???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 10:32 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times
Okay, well then what about all the other immigrants we have living in this country that the US is paying for?

Mainly Russian (so called) Jews, some Somalians, Arabs, that come here and are living off our tax dollars. The US gov is paying for them to live here, does that makes sense to you? How is it, that these foreigners are allowed to come to the US and be put on Social Security and get everything for free, while our own Americans are fighting just to be accepted for SSI?

This to me is so wrong. We allow many Russian immigrants to come here because we feel sorry for them. They live for free, get free food, free health care, live on SSI, and yet they do nothing to contribute to our nation, if anything these people hate the US, and lie about there social and economic status (many come from money) just to come to the US, but they are not opening there mouths because they are living in the wealthiest country on earth, so why complain? A lot of these people live in and are stuck in public housing or areas that accept HUD housing. They are usually older people, or single women with children that get everything for free, and never move out because they get comfortable, and if they do leave, they risk losing that cheap rent.

At least Mexican immigrants want to work, these people do not. It's inconceivable how our own Gov is giving SSI to immigrants on Visa's, it's unbelievable to me how this is occurring in our nation, while many Americans that worked there whole lives, are getting next to nothing for SSI. This should not be happening, and hope the Gov removes these foreign SSI queens off the payroll, and ship them back to Russia, this will stop wasteful spending

Old 03-28-2009, 05:57 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Oh yeah, how in the hell is SD broke anyways? We are one of the richest cities in the country with many well to do people living here, but yet the city is so broke that it's not even funny, it just doesn't make sense to me. Our tax dollars are just being wasted, that's why I don't really care anymore where my tax dollars go to, because you truly don't know what happens to it. It's really unbelievable how the State of Cali is in such a massive deficit, I mean what the hell did they spend all of our money on? We as Californians are already over taxed as it is, but yet it's like it's never enough for them. It's almost about that time to pack up and leave this damn state altogether, too much taxation which is not helping me nor the rest of the state obviously. I consider myself a Liberal, but come on! April 1st is gonna suck for all of us, the state sells sales goes up, state income tax goes up, car registration fee gets doubled and what else

It's all a bunch of effin bull ****! instead of laying off state workers, the state should lay off themselves.All the senators, assembly members, and every other high powered offcial, should be let go. Let them see how it feels to be without a job for a month or months at a time.
The short answer is that you can always spend more than you make. That's just as true if you have a lot coming in as when you have a little. Conservatives generally get this, but a lot of liberals don't.

The state of CA is run by liberal Democrats who think all problems can be solved by taxing the rich (as well as the 'not so rich'--those tax increases have a way of filtering down to the rest of us pretty quickly, don't they?) and creating new social programs. They rarely step back and ask whether the programs they already have are efficiently run (take the state MediCal program, for example, or healthcare in general).

They also seem to have no problem with illegal immigrants. I would argue that the liberal Democrats actually want a large illegal immigrant underclass to be dependent on them for votes/power.

I'm glad a few of you liberals are gradually waking up to the reality of things. There may be hope yet!!!

I'm not saying the Republicans are any great shakes. But they're definitely the lesser evil in my book.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:07 PM

[quote=Axxlrod;8068728]The state budget deficit was just about equal to the amount of $ that all the illegal immigrants cost the state in free services... education, healthcare, incarceration, food stamps, welfare, section 8, etc...
[quote]

I am in no way in favor of illegal immigration. But what you are saying is simply not true. Even if we got rid of all the illegal immigrants, the state would still have a substantial budget hole.

A recent editorial in the LA Times said illegals cost the state about $5 Billion. That is no small sum. Even if that estimate is too low, let's say the true cost is $10 Billion, the state would still be in trouble because our projected budget deficit is $42 Billion.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:11 PM

I don't know where you get the idea the Russian immigrants come here for free services. There are quite a few where I live in Silicon Valley and most seem to fit the profile of well educated and upper middle class.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:58 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,701,984 times
[quote=mysticaltyger;8086602][quote=Axxlrod;8068728]The state budget deficit was just about equal to the amount of $ that all the illegal immigrants cost the state in free services... education, healthcare, incarceration, food stamps, welfare, section 8, etc...
Quote:

I am in no way in favor of illegal immigration. But what you are saying is simply not true. Even if we got rid of all the illegal immigrants, the state would still have a substantial budget hole.

A recent editorial in the LA Times said illegals cost the state about $5 Billion. That is no small sum. Even if that estimate is too low, let's say the true cost is $10 Billion, the state would still be in trouble because our projected budget deficit is $42 Billion.
Tthe number that I heard was $39 billion. This was during the budget impasse.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:06 PM

213 posts, read 744,974 times
Well illegals isn't a problem in San Diego. We have a retiree problem. Maybe if they did promote commercial growth we'd be bringing in new young workers looking for jobs & not 70 year old Joe Jacksons from Chicago. Again East County could use a new type of people that work & don't deal. Santee is meth city CA

Old 03-29-2009, 11:38 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,970,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The state of CA is run by liberal Democrats who think all problems can be solved by taxing the rich (as well as the 'not so rich'--those tax increases have a way of filtering down to the rest of us pretty quickly, don't they?) and creating new social programs. They rarely step back and ask whether the programs they already have are efficiently run (take the state MediCal program, for example, or healthcare in general).

They also seem to have no problem with illegal immigrants. I would argue that the liberal Democrats actually want a large illegal immigrant underclass to be dependent on them for votes/power.

I'm glad a few of you liberals are gradually waking up to the reality of things. There may be hope yet!!!

I'm not saying the Republicans are any great shakes. But they're definitely the lesser evil in my book.
In my book, they're just different forms of "evil." If liberal Democrats had their way, illegals would be given an automatic pass and services and benefits would be offered to all the underclass, and the citizen taxpayer would simply have to foot the bill. If this results in fiscally bankrupt government, then so be it, at least we're helping people. If conservative Republicans had their way, government would never help the underclass, benefits would be cancelled, and the illegals would be stopped in their tracks and turned around. If this results in millions more underclass and elderly being homeless and on the streets, so be it, at least we're meeting our fiscal budgets.

Social security and medicare were created because people were tired of seeing the elderly homeless (on the street) and sick and dying in such large numbers in an America that's supposed to be the paragon of virtue in the world. Benefits for the underclass serve a virtuous purpose, the problem is they cost a lot of money. So the delimma becomes which is more important, serving that purpose or retaining a fiscally viable government? A liberal democrat chooses serving that purpose and letting the system go bankrupt. A conservative republican chooses saving the budget and letting those people fend for themselves. Two different forms of "evil." A moderate attempts to strike a balance and find a way to accomplish both. The conservative Republicans are only the lesser evil depending on where one's priorities lie. Anything take to the extreme becomes an "evil."

Old 03-29-2009, 11:41 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,970,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeInSoCal View Post
Well illegals isn't a problem in San Diego. We have a retiree problem.
What is the problem with retirees? That demographic is one that brings in the most disposable income with the least demand for services (they don't need schools and they don't use roads as much as others and they typically aren't the ones committing crimes, especially violent ones). So, what is this retiree "problem?"

Old 03-29-2009, 11:45 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
What is the problem with retirees? That demographic is one that brings in the most disposable income with the least demand for services (they don't need schools and they don't use roads as much as others and they typically aren't the ones committing crimes, especially violent ones). So, what is this retiree "problem?"
Retirees (even wealthy ones) do consume services, in particular health services, but do not pay taxes. As a group they tend to be anti-tax in general and vote down services they see themself as not using, i.e. parks and schools, etc. If you want to see what a retiree city looks like take a look at Santa Barbara, SD doesn't want to become like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego