Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:14 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times

Advertisements

When you think of San Diego, what comes to mind?

What kind of culture do you think SD has?

Or if we even have a culture.

I'll go first, when I think of SD, I think of a lot old conservative people, everything's expensive, huge truck culture, a lot white trash redneck/bros/desert rats, even some Mexicans and Blacks are trashed out in big lifted trucks that gets 8 mpg that are located all over San Diego. The majority of people drives Fords, Rich people, Not much diversity, Balboa Park is the greatest jewel of San Diego.

Coronado bridge, the view from the 805 going South when you see all the lights from TJ at night

Sea world and the Zoo always comes to mind as well as the beaches and surfers.

Perfect weather, the trolley, Chicano Park (where I feel at home) "Sup Eh/Homes" Barrio Logan, Gaslamp, SouthEast SD, Chargers, and the ****ty Padres.

I knows there's more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 04:33 PM

190 posts, read 704,514 times
County and City culture are totally distinct from each other, I would say.

Old rich conservative people up north, rednecks right to our East, the hispanics in South Bay and the yuppies, hipsters and working minorities in the actual core.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:04 PM

157 posts, read 644,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzchic View Post
County and City culture are totally distinct from each other, I would say.

Old rich conservative people up north, rednecks right to our East, the hispanics in South Bay and the yuppies, hipsters and working minorities in the actual core.
don't forget the African-Americans of Emerald Hills & SouthEastern SD !

Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,601 times
And the 5 percent of African Americans in the S.Bay
LOL

Old 03-30-2009, 12:27 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
When I think of the SD area as a whole, the first type of culture that comes to mind is the beach/surfer culture. Obviously its primarily in the beach communities. North County from about Clairemont/Mission Valley and northward is more of a suburban/preppy culture. East County is more of a "redneck" culture, and South County having a large Mexican population obviously has a lot of Mexican culture. Downtown/Central S.D. has a little of everything, including an urban/city Manhattan-esque culture seen at the Gaslamp and the gay culture in Hillcrest.

Also, since San Diego is a military town and has a lot of transplants, different types of people from all over the U.S. and world bring their culture to S.D.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:21 AM

9 posts, read 60,984 times
Carne Asada Burritos!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:00 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randplaty View Post
Carne Asada Burritos!
yeah baby! miss those and rolled tacos!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:44 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randplaty View Post
Carne Asada Burritos!
You know the fries where originated here in SD right?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:11 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,851,292 times
"North County from about Clairemont/Mission Valley and northward is more of a suburban/preppy culture"??
Are you serious? All of North County is suburban/"preppy?" What does that mean? We all have pink Izods on with the collars flipped up? What does it mean to be preppy? I swear, North County is far more diverse and multi-cultural than most people, even fellow San Diegans, give it credit for being. When I was kid growing up in Solana Beach in the olden days (the 1970s) we had bumper stickers that said "There's No Life East of I-5." I'm going to print up new ones that say "There IS Life North of the 56."

Old 03-30-2009, 09:52 PM

157 posts, read 644,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
yeah baby! miss those and rolled tacos!
where can i get me sum rolled tacos?

i'm from Arizona baby, ain't never had no rolled tacos.

Willin' to try 'em
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego