Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:54 AM

4 posts, read 6,720 times

Advertisements

Does a family of engineers with 12-13 years of experience have a chance to get jobs these times and than afford to buy a decent house in a decent area and raise 2 children?? Sounds like SD is a great place to live in...only if you make good money. I understand the houses are overpriced, but what else is? Food? Utilities? Gas? Please help me with some answers!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 06:49 AM

4,538 posts, read 12,400,459 times
Overall, only housing and gasoline are expensive. Everything else is close to national norms. Of course the high cost of real estate does filter into other prices somewhat, but not that much. Prices fall dramatically once you leave the beach communities. California taxes are generally quite high, both income and sales.

I would think a couple of engineers would pull in some decent money. I can't really be specific about that. And it would depend on what area of engineering you have experience whether you could find jobs. Others will have to help you with that.

A decent suburban house in a suburban area could easily be gotten in the 400k to 600k range. I think in some east and north east county areas you could find places in the 300k to 400k range as well. It all depends on the commute you are willing to put in.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:10 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,316,752 times
California's over all taxation rate is just about the national average (10.3% compared to 10.1% for the national average). The big issue is the cost of land.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:47 AM

415 posts, read 1,395,108 times
California has very high tax rates. They tax you on everything, not just income. I pay more taxes here than I paid in NYC. A lot more.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:26 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,847 times
Are there any specific tables that I can compare CA taxes with taxes in other states. I'm in Ohio, specifically. Truthfully, this is my BIGGEST concern at this time. Thank you very much in advance.

Wishing everyone a good week-end.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:43 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Are there any specific tables that I can compare CA taxes with taxes in other states. I'm in Ohio, specifically. Truthfully, this is my BIGGEST concern at this time. Thank you very much in advance.

Wishing everyone a good week-end.
State Comparisons

Based on what I can tell, if you have a home mortgage deduction, that is where you can get ahead. Aside from that, you will pay a fair bit of taxes (of course depends on income range).

Old 04-18-2009, 04:17 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
State Comparisons

Based on what I can tell, if you have a home mortgage deduction, that is where you can get ahead. Aside from that, you will pay a fair bit of taxes (of course depends on income range).

Thank you very much, f_m; I'm going to take a look.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:54 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moni6 View Post
Does a family of engineers with 12-13 years of experience have a chance to get jobs these times and than afford to buy a decent house in a decent area and raise 2 children?? Sounds like SD is a great place to live in...only if you make good money. I understand the houses are overpriced, but what else is? Food? Utilities? Gas? Please help me with some answers!! Thanks!
yes, a 200k or so income will get you a nice lifestyle here. Taxes are definitely a concern but the huge mortgage interest deduction from the expensive housing will actually work in your favor. You are in the perfect position to move here.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:42 PM

4 posts, read 6,720 times
Thanks for your answers. We are mechanical engineers, but my husband also have 2 masters, one of them MBA. So we would need about 200k to make it decent, I understand...anyone knows if this is even possible these days? I know California is not doing great with the unemployment rate, but I hope companies are still in need for engineers.
We both love ocean and sunny days and the possibility to walk on the streets (after living in a small city where we had to drive everywhere), so SD sounds really good...except for being able to make a decent life. Any other info would be very appreciated, thanks!!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 PM

23 posts, read 59,409 times
As an engineer I would imagine you could get a job anywhere and a good house anywhere regardless of the economy. But don't always rely on your job skills. Sometimes all it takes is a good body and a crafty mind and you can live anywhere on Earth! Worked for me, and I barely got my degree at 39 just by having my ex-husband put me through school thanks to a good prenup. Also my house is paid for so I have no mortgage. Values have dropped but who cares? I'm staying put, and besides - I have an annuity! LOL. You'll do fine, quit being paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego