Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 08:11 AM

17 posts, read 39,728 times

Advertisements

Where to start,

First of all, I love San Diego, to me its one of the most beautiful cities around. I am very interested in living (there) in the future. I do know that a lot can change in 2 years when I am done with school but my question is, what is a wise choice to major in? Right now I am an Accounting Major, but is that a good choice for the area, or is the job market dead for Accountants? My mother is actually from San Diego, but she moved about 30 years ago. One plan that I had was to go to Grad School (there) to give me a year or so to get used to the area, but that was just an idea. If it means anything I am living in Cincinnati, OH. I more than likely left out something you need to know, if so just ask, I'll answer lol.....Oh, and GO PADRES
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 08:41 AM

982 posts, read 1,101,484 times
Hey, Congrats on your impending graduation. Let's see, Cincinnati, is that Ohio State? Are you a Buckeye? I'm originally from Akron. My dad went to Kent State.

Okay...San Diego is getting big into the medical arena. Other than that, not sure. We have 8.8% unemployment and who knows in two years, ya know.

This is what I told my college kids. Major in something that you love and you will find a way to make money doing it. You will spend a lot of money on your education and a lot of blood, sweat and tears and you may not even end up doing what you majored in. So find something you love to do b/c you'll be doing it the majority of your life. Then worry about making money.

Life is too short to be unhappy.

Good luck!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:40 PM

15 posts, read 52,789 times
San Diego has a lot of big biotech and pharmaceutical companies. lots of research going on because of all the universities nearby.

That being said, don't pick your major based on where you think you may end up living. Do what you love, and then see where it takes you.

San Diego is a beautiful place, but many others are as well. All that matters is that you end up happy.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaleeGirl View Post
San Diego has a lot of big biotech and pharmaceutical companies. lots of research going on because of all the universities nearby.

That being said, don't pick your major based on where you think you may end up living. Do what you love, and then see where it takes you.

San Diego is a beautiful place, but many others are as well. All that matters is that you end up happy.

The problem is I like a lot of diffrent things, I was just seeing what you guys would say about Accountants, as far as jobs go. Thanks for the info though.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:26 AM

982 posts, read 1,101,484 times
Probably the best thing to do would be look on Craigslist for accounting jobs and see what they are offering and how many ads there are.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:35 PM

As I said I know things change in a few years, but would you guys think it is a wise choice to go to grad school there? Maybe get used to things, develope some relationships and ties with banks during that year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: